GoFundMe seizes funds of Canadian trucker convoy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 06:21:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GoFundMe seizes funds of Canadian trucker convoy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GoFundMe seizes funds of Canadian trucker convoy  (Read 4100 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« on: February 05, 2022, 09:45:39 AM »

It's pretty clear and undeniable at this point that these platforms are in the pocket of the left. If you are against the political establishment, and for liberty, platforms and tech companies will deny your service and deplatform you to stop any threat to their power.

Ah, that explains why day after day after day, the top Facebook shared and liked stories after from Ben Shapiro and other right-wing blowhards.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 11:34:13 AM »

It's pretty clear and undeniable at this point that these platforms are in the pocket of the left. If you are against the political establishment, and for liberty, platforms and tech companies will deny your service and deplatform you to stop any threat to their power.

Ah, that explains why day after day after day, the top Facebook shared and liked stories after from Ben Shapiro and other right-wing blowhards.

But does the right wing control Facebook? Is Mark Zuckerberg a conservative Republican?

Facebook shut down the trucker convoy page. It's always entertaining when Dems think conservative's popularity on Facebook means conservatives are treated equally and fairly. The reality right now is, big tech and the media treat conservatives and opposition to the current political establishment like they are a fringe, 20% or less of the country, group that needs to be controlled and suppressed for the "safety" of the population. Yet they are nearly half the country, and their popularity on these platforms in spite of conservatives disproportionately not using social media and being subject to disproportionate censorship should tell you just how "mainstream" people like Ben Shapiro and his opinions are in the general populace.

You claimed "If you are against the political establishment, and for liberty, platforms and tech companies will deny your service and deplatform you to stop any threat to their power," and then try to spin my counterexample of Ben Shapiro being extremely popular on Facebook as evidence for your position somehow??
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 01:14:05 PM »

This "peaceful protest" (occupation) causes a lot of problems for the citizens and businesses of Ottawa. I want GoFundMe to be fair about this, but they violated the terms and conditions and now they lost their revenue stream. As a critic of the occupation, this is great news.

If you supported Black lives Matter, you have no right to complain about this. Literally cities were burned and looted for months.

If you were bothered by BLM, you should be by this “mob intimidation”.

There has been far far less violence with the Trucker protest

On a per-capita level, I kinda doubt it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 10:48:58 AM »

The reality right now is, big tech and the media treat conservatives and opposition to the current political establishment like they are a fringe, 20% or less of the country, group that needs to be controlled and suppressed for the "safety" of the population. Yet they are nearly half the country, and their popularity on these platforms in spite of conservatives disproportionately not using social media and being subject to disproportionate censorship should tell you just how "mainstream" people like Ben Shapiro and his opinions are in the general populace.
If huge swaths of the Canadian (or American) public begin shifting into spreading false propaganda and undermining democracy, big tech and the media aren't obligated to go along with it, regardless of whether the left or right are doing it.

Big tech didn't censor Russiagate lies.

It's always so hard to pin down what Republicans mean when they say "Russiagate lies." You have to define Russiagate pretty broadly to get it to be a lie, something like "Hillary actually won, but Russia changed the vote totals!!!!11" but then that's not what people generally mean when they talk about it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 10:03:44 AM »

It's okay to protest if you do it my way and my way only.  Yes, Herr Justin!

Unironically yes? These truckers (and the vaccinated clowns simping for them) were already extremely unsympathetic from the beginning, but their behavior has been so vile that I somehow found room to oppose them even more.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 10:11:38 AM »

It's okay to protest if you do it my way and my way only.  Yes, Herr Justin!

Unironically yes? These truckers (and the vaccinated clowns simping for them) were already extremely unsympathetic from the beginning, but their behavior has been so vile that I somehow found room to oppose them even more.

Trudeau's behavior and dictatorial edicts are what's vile.

Apparently not
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 10:33:48 AM »

Fuzzy, 93% of BLM protests were peaceful, and the violent ones were not as big as you seem to think.
https://acleddata.com/2020/09/03/demonstrations-political-violence-in-america-new-data-for-summer-2020/
The vast majority of demonstration events associated with the BLM movement are non-violent (see map below). In more than 93% of all demonstrations connected to the movement, demonstrators have not engaged in violence or destructive activity. Peaceful protests are reported in over 2,400 distinct locations around the country. Violent demonstrations,5 meanwhile, have been limited to fewer than 220 locations — under 10% of the areas that experienced peaceful protests. In many urban areas like Portland, Oregon, for example, which has seen sustained unrest since Floyd’s killing, violent demonstrations are largely confined to specific blocks, rather than dispersed throughout the city (CNN, 1 September 2020).

And those 7% were far worse than whatever the Truckers are doing

According to some quick googling, only 0.05% of George Floyd protestors were violent. I don't think your scumbag anti-vaxx (but pro-other regulation) truckers are going to win this comparison.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 12:03:10 PM »

You didn't make it any better. I have never once defended a riot or an act of violence. I have always strongly condemned such things and support peaceful George Floyd protests only.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 01:37:19 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2022, 01:42:41 PM by 7,052,770 »

You didn't make it any better. I have never once defended a riot or an act of violence. I have always strongly condemned such things and support peaceful George Floyd protests only.

No you tried to argue the summer 2020 protests were more peaceful then this one which is obviously not the case

On a per capita level it is. Remember that over 25,000,000 protested George Floyd's murder.

No, the Canadian truckers will never spawn enough events to get the raw number of violent acts tangentially or directly connected with a protest, because their anti-vaccine cause isn't popular enough. But when we compare by percentages, we see the better comparison.

Look, we both support the nonviolent Floyd protests and abhor the small percentage (0.05% of participants) of deplorable thugs who used the protests as cover to commit violence. There's no disagreement there. The violence % of the truckers is also going to end up being very low in all likelihood. The key difference are the truckers are protesting for an awful and hateful cause, while the Floyd protesters were protesting for something good. There's no reason to even bring up both in the same conversation, but since you're doing it anyway, you should at least get the math right.

Let's say your wildest dreams come true and it turns out that only 0.03% of trucker protesters turn violent. Congrats. Now you just have 2 almost exclusively non-violent protests and we can judge them on what they were protesting. I'm willing to just do that anyway, actually.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 01:26:02 PM »

12 arrests out of 18,000 protestors is 0.07%. That's using a high estimate for the total truckers, and not counting anyone yet to be arrested.

Compare to 14,000 arrests out of 26,000,000 protesters, or 0.05%, in George Floyd protests.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2022, 01:36:11 PM »

lol 26 million. Do you know a single George Floyd protester?

Um, yes? They had protests in Jackson and Starkville. Did you actually think I would say no?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2022, 01:42:37 PM »

lol 26 million. Do you know a single George Floyd protester?

Um, yes? They had protests in Jackson and Starkville. Did you actually think I would say no?
I lived in Mississippi and I don't know a single protester. I only knew decent black people with jobs and families.

The people I know who protested (both white and black) took their families, and the protests were on Saturday.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2022, 08:07:08 AM »

Gonna copy-paste my post from the Canada thread in International Discussion:

Cenk and John on the The Young Turks made a great point today talking about this stuff. Regardless of if a protest is left wing or right wing or libertarian or whatever it is, the point of the protest is to get national attention and get everybody focused on the injustice and then hopefully that can change minds which can lead to pressure for political action. The example given was MLK's walk to Selma and the police riding on horses and sending dogs to attack them. The problem is, sometimes you successfully protest and successfully get everybody paying attention and talking about the injustice, and it turns out, 50% (or more / a lot more ) of the country just doesn't agree with what you're fighting for and isn't interested in changing anything the protestors want changed. Which is what's happened in Canada after maybe 1.5 weeks, maybe 2 weeks.

So then you have to ask... how long is it appropriate for the occupation to continue? You made your point, everybody had their had your chance at change, so when should they go home? Most reasonable people would say "keep going forever" isn't appropriate, but it's hard to say exactly how long is too long. A lot of Canadians think it's been too long in this specific case. Cenk said he's interested in having an open good-faith dialogue with right wingers about how long they would say is appropriate for some protest to go on, but then points out that it's very hard to have good-faith discussions with Republicans about these kinds of things. Which is generally true.

Imagine unironically watching Cenk Uygur in 2022.

He's actually a lot better now than he's been in the past.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies