NYC's ban on suggary drinks overturned (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:40:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYC's ban on suggary drinks overturned (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC's ban on suggary drinks overturned  (Read 6975 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: March 12, 2013, 06:37:54 PM »

Thank you.  Libertarians rarely win any court cases nowadays--with the high unemployment rate and the successful War on Terror and War on Drugs and War on Adipose Tissue scams perpetrated by the government--and it's nice to see the rare ruling objecting to "arbitrary and capricious" laws.  Whether it's excessive masturbation, weed, over-the-counter antibiotics, or sugar-laden sodas, I think it's nice that merchants occasionally be free to sell our customers what they want.  Like they do in China, for example. 

How do you spell irony? 

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 07:24:25 PM »

I prefer a calorie tax on junk food sales collected with all income going toward a tax subsidy on produce.

you'd be popular in the midwest.  Nothing they like better than produce subsidies.  Especially those favoring corn and other ethanol-producing crops.

I'm not for any of it, myself.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »

I prefer a calorie tax on junk food sales collected with all income going toward a tax subsidy on produce.

you'd be popular in the midwest.  Nothing they like better than produce subsidies.  Especially those favoring corn and other ethanol-producing crops.

I'm not for any of it, myself.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think you're parodying the perfect congressman.  Let's tax fructose-containing foods, then use the tax to subsidize the growers of the fructose, who will grow more fructose, sell more fructose, and we'll get more taxes on that fructose.

It's all circular, and all very clever.

I'm for letting folks grow what they want, smoke what they grow, and eat what they grow but don't smoke, all without any subsidies or consumption taxes.

I think I'm becoming a libertarian in my old age.  I think you are too. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 07:44:09 PM »

you're breakin' my heart, King.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies