An Effective Consensus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 09:19:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  An Effective Consensus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 27
Author Topic: An Effective Consensus  (Read 40659 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: May 08, 2020, 02:28:50 PM »

Glenn/Carter is many miles better than what I was anticipating, but I'm behind Bayh here.

Of course they are much to the left of Helms, but it should be noted Glenn is running a middle of the road campaign, even center right perhaps on economics
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #326 on: May 08, 2020, 02:38:53 PM »

Birch Bayh 1976! This is amazing!
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #327 on: May 08, 2020, 02:45:51 PM »

Thank you!
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #328 on: May 08, 2020, 02:46:05 PM »

Glenn/Carter is many miles better than what I was anticipating, but I'm behind Bayh here.
Here's how Helms can still win.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #329 on: May 08, 2020, 03:00:05 PM »

Folks, I neglected to mention that David Duke has launched an exploratory committee for an independent run
So, that

And he is polling at 1-2%
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #330 on: May 08, 2020, 03:20:48 PM »

Folks, I neglected to mention that David Duke has launched an exploratory committee for an independent run
So, that

Isn't Duke only, like, 26?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #331 on: May 08, 2020, 03:24:10 PM »

So, that

Isn't Duke only, like, 26?

Yah so he wouldnt be eligible to run for President. Someone like Harry Byrd Jr though could make a run
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #332 on: May 08, 2020, 03:27:26 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2020, 03:36:10 PM by KaiserDave »

Wow he was a young grand wizard
Then I’ll find somebody else

Edit: someone else is Asa Carter (Wallace speech writer and Klansman)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #333 on: May 08, 2020, 03:45:21 PM »

He passed away in June of 1979

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asa_Earl_Carter
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #334 on: May 08, 2020, 03:46:28 PM »

Yep
So he can run
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #335 on: May 08, 2020, 03:52:40 PM »

Yep
So he can run

True for some reason I thought this was 1980 lol
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #336 on: May 08, 2020, 05:28:20 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2020, 07:26:16 PM by KaiserDave »

Democratic National Convention: New York City

Wikimedia

Jimmy Carter walked on stage as the crowd applauded. John Glenn had just finished his speech, and the Convention was complete. Jimmy and Rosalyn entered as John and Annie Glenn waved to the crowd. After one, two, three elections the party was finally united. No walkouts, no chaos. It was Glenn and Carter! The convention had been resolved in the second ballot, and the ticket was quickly decided. But how had the Democratic Party got here?

The Convention's start was not so easy. Ted Kennedy had done everything he could to stop the nomination of Glenn, and Carter as Vice President. However it was all to no avail, on the morning of the second day Ted called John to endorse him, and spoke on his behalf. He was booed by the conservatives repeatedly as he made an unrepentant call for liberalism, and he was interrupted by a combination of jeers and cheers. But he defiantly proclaimed that "the dream will never die!" and declared that liberals should support Glenn. One Illinois delegate said he was, "the last cry of a dying bird." Throughout the convention, some pilloried Bayh as a traitor, but most praised the character of John Glenn. The platform that was drawn up was fairly milquetoast, no major concessions to the centre left moderates or the right wing conservatives like Jesse Helms and Strom Thurmond. It was middle of the road, with a commitment to balanced budgets and a somewhat conservative policy on prominent social issues, but with strong commitments on education and science funding. John's speech called for reconciliation and respect. Gone was Wallace's brash populism, and in was the middle of the road optimism of John Glenn. He made overtures to all factions of the party, he declared to liberals "this government must be a government for the common man." He told conservatives, "our commitment to the centerpiece of this great country, the American family must be as strong as ever." He proclaimed the need for "a strong America in the world, that defends our values abroad." He called for America to "enter the modern age with the optimism and effort only America can, that through caring about schools, our the stars, we can pass down a better nation to our children and grandchildren." He pulled the entire convention to their feet when said that, "when I saw this Earth from the stars, I didn't see a nation divided by the color of their skin or by their party, or where they go to school, where they were born. I saw one America, and I still believe in one America." The party was together and they were ready for a win.

Democratic Party Ticket: John Glenn/James Carter

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #337 on: May 08, 2020, 05:30:47 PM »

Endorsing Glenn for now
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #338 on: May 09, 2020, 07:34:53 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2020, 08:57:27 PM by KaiserDave »

Republican National Convention: Las Vegas

Wikimedia

Birch Bayh was just finishing his speech to great applause. Another election, another united Republican Party. The days of Goldwater walkouts were over. Now, of course many Reaganites had made clear they wouldn't vote for Bayh, one said "the conservative movement within the Republican Party is done, it's over." But there was no rioting or chaos. Reagan said in his speech that, "the division of '64 will not plague this convention." He said he'd vote for Bayh, but he reserved his greatest praise for the conservative movement at large. Bayh made efforts to unite the party, many said he was too liberal, as he was indeed to the left of Romney. Others questioned his genuine support for the Republican Party. To those his answer was National Security Advisor George H. W. Bush. Not only was he a former Chair of the RNC, and a strong party man, but he was moderate, appealed to all factions of the party and had exhaustive national security and foreign policy experience. It was received very well. Bayh, who had won the nomination on the first ballot was now speaking on why he had become a Republican six years ago as the signs of "Bayh/Bush" and "He's my Guy" (to emphasize the pronunciation of his last name) fluttered in the stadium.

"...many ask me. Birch, why are you a Republican? Why did you join this party. I tell them the answer is simple. When Hubert Humphrey refused to bow to moral corruption when he ran for President in 1964 it was Democratic bosses who tried to intimidate him into silence. When Lester Maddox was gunning down people protesting for human dignity it was Jacob Javits, who is here tonight who asked me what we were going to do about it. When I was in the US Senate, fighting for laws that protect the dignity of every individual man woman and child. Looking for economic justice, for social justice, for equal rights and equal treatment for all. When I said that no person should starve on the streets of this great country, it was George Romney and Edward Brooke who took the side of the American people, it was George Romney and Edward Brooke who joined me in the fight for the good men and women of this country, and that my friends, is why I stand before you a proud Republican."

The audience's cheers shook the hall. The Reagan delegates cringed, but this party, this Republican Party was flying the liberal flag in 1976.

Republican Party Ticket: Birch Bayh/George Bush

We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #339 on: May 09, 2020, 07:41:07 PM »

The seeds of left-wing Republicanism will be sown by a Birch and a Bush.

(I'm sorry. I had to.)
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #340 on: May 09, 2020, 07:45:46 PM »

Good, Good. Let the power of Progressivism flow trough you!
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #341 on: May 09, 2020, 07:51:24 PM »

Hell yeah, Bayh '76.
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #342 on: May 09, 2020, 10:00:37 PM »

Also, I'm going to make a prediction: Glenn narrowly wins in 1976, but experiences serious economic and foreign policy problems as per Carter IRL. Rather than a conservative takeover of America in 1980, however, a progressive answer to Reagan replaces him instead.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #343 on: May 10, 2020, 12:04:45 AM »

Im gonna be a Reaganbro here and not vote for the Candidate my favorite primary Candidate endorsed.

So go Glenn!!!
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #344 on: May 10, 2020, 04:16:32 AM »

Bayh 1976!!

Also, I'm going to make a prediction: Glenn narrowly wins in 1976, but experiences serious economic and foreign policy problems as per Carter IRL. Rather than a conservative takeover of America in 1980, however, a progressive answer to Reagan replaces him instead.

This makes a ton of sense and is also a great analogue considering Carter was also a moderate liberal... Can't wait!
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #345 on: May 10, 2020, 07:54:10 PM »

Polling Map (Gallup)

Birch Bayh/George Bush: 50.1%/298
John Glenn/James Carter: 48.2%/240
John Schmitz/Asa Carter: 1.2%/0

Gallup Poll: President Romney Job Approval September 1976

Wikimedia Commons

Approve: 60%
Disapprove: 38%

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #346 on: May 11, 2020, 11:13:53 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2020, 11:52:36 AM by KaiserDave »

1976 Presidential Debate on ABC News

Wikimedia Commons

Welcome to ABC News and tonight we have the honor of hosting the 1976 presidential debate, I'm Barbara Walters and I'll be moderating this debate. In a moment we will welcome the candidates, Senator Birch Evans Bayh and Senator John Herschel Glenn. There were be no clapping, except at the end, and right now. We now welcome Senator Glenn, and Senator Bayh..

(Candidates enter to applause)

Senator Glenn, you've committed to balanced budgets, and said that Senator Bayh's plan to reduce the Medicare eligibility age to 18 is a budget busting mistake. Care to elaborate?

John Glenn: Of course Barbara. We've been running a deficit for a decade now. I don't think it's wise or advisable, or good economics to do so. The deficit is on a downward trend, economic growth is up. So the worst thing we can do right now is blow it all up and end up where we started, but worse. A sky high deficit and uncertain growth. Now, I believe we can do more in regards to healthcare, I support Medicare wholeheartedly. But we can't afford what my opponent is proposing, I have an alternative. An individual mandate system that would expand coverage and make healthcare affordable, without a strain on the budget. I want to ask voters who they trust on the budget issue, to keep our finances secure.

Senator Bayh?

Birch Bayh: I disagree. I just disagree. We have 13% of people uninsured, they cannot pay for their healthcare. And yes, we have people who are suffering and dying because they do not have insurance. We cannot allow this happen in the greatest country on Earth. My plan eliminates this crisis of health, and provides decent quality care for every American. We can and must do more on the healthcare front, we must show the superiority of the American system. In the wealthiest country on Earth, we cannot have people dying from lack of care. My plan carries the cost through payroll tax, and ultimately would reduce costs for all Americans.

John Glenn: It's fiscally untenable Birch. It's not gonna walk, we can't spend money we don't have. I have a plan to balance the budget through an alternative minimum tax and cuts to bad government spending, my opponent doesn't agree. We can balance this budget in two years, let's get it done.

Senator Bayh, you've accused your opponent on working with nativists and being far too connected to oil tycoons, why?

Birch Bayh: Well I think it speaks to why I left the Democratic Party. I've been attacked for that choice but I think its why I'm in this fight. The Democratic Party has ceased to be the party of Franklin Roosevelt, now it's the party of George Wallace.

John Glenn: That's unfair Birch. You know what I think about President Wallace.

Birch Bayh: Like other Americans I was horrified when my party made life easier for Texas oil men and for Klansmen in the 1960s. When I tried to push anti poverty reform, civil rights measures, I was stifled by a party establishment that wasn't interested in that change. I felt like the party had left people like me behind, a lot of Americans felt the same way. In 1972 we saw how deep this corruption went, monied interests and cash stacks were important for the party leaders than the votes of the people. I respect Senator Glenn, he's a great patriot and his service to this country is admirable. He's a model American in many respects, but he's done business with elements of his party that are un-American and with the special interests, like the oil industry who play politics to do better in business. It's why I left the Democratic Party and why I am running for President.

John Glenn: Well I thank you for the kind words Birch, but what you said is just plain wrong. I am a Democrat, because the Democratic Party is the party of the little guy. It knows when government oughta get out of the way of Joe and Josephine, and when the government oughta step in to help. I'm a Democrat because when I was growing up in the Depression it was the Democratic Party that tried to help people like my family. I'm perfectly able of saying when my party's done wrong, and I hope Birch can say the same for his new home. The Democratic Party is the party of common Americans, and it's been that way since Jackson and Jefferson. If elected, what I'll do is take the government out of people's path to success, but use government to help those who need it. And to the accusation that I have pandered to racists and Klansmen, that's horribly untrue. I detest racism of all sorts, and I will not tolerate it as President. Not for a second.

Senator Glenn, you've said you will cut spending to balance the budget, but you say you want to increase the budget for scientific research and education, how is this consistent?

John Glenn: Well Barbara I think we have to invest in the kids. Our children our the future, without investing in our schools, without investing in really discovering the world around us we cannot realize progress. I am 100% committed to funding our schools, NASA, the CDC, NOAA and more. Barbara, we don't even know the full contents of our own oceans. I want to have an America that looks to the stars, looks into the dark deep of the seas without fear, but with excitement.

But Senator, the question is on balancing the budget.

John Glenn: I'm not sure what you mean Barbara.

You say you want to balance the budget quickly, but can you square that with wanting to increase research and education spending?

John Glenn: I think it can be done. There's a lot of bad spending, bad bad spending, we can cut out the fraudulent spending, wasteful spending, and we'll be better for it.

What kind of wasteful spending?

John Glenn: Well I mean uh, if a program doesn't work, we can fix it, if that means cutting spending, then yes.

Birch Bayh: I disagree with my opponent. I can balance the budget by stimulating growth, invest in infrastructure, in making sure Americans are healthy, that will get our economy moving. Imagine every American with health insurance, with enough money to get by, imagine the economic boom with the average American having extra few hundred, maybe even thousand dollars in their pocket. That's the economics of George Romney, and our economy is booming.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #347 on: May 11, 2020, 11:24:08 AM »

Damn, Birch really do be out here trying to make me a Republican.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #348 on: May 11, 2020, 11:26:43 AM »
« Edited: May 11, 2020, 11:52:20 AM by KaiserDave »

Who won the debate?

/

And do you want a Bush vs Carter debate?
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #349 on: May 11, 2020, 12:02:40 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2020, 12:08:20 PM by We Live in Black and White »

Who won the debate?

/

And do you want a Bush vs Carter debate?

Glenn had a good response to the "Party of Wallace" attack, but otherwise Birch ran the gamut. As to the question, y e s
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies