Post-Obama - A Different 2012 (Gameplay)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:17:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Post-Obama - A Different 2012 (Gameplay)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17
Author Topic: Post-Obama - A Different 2012 (Gameplay)  (Read 35921 times)
ethanforamerica
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -2.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: March 29, 2018, 05:49:01 PM »

BAYH DEBATE ANSWERS

Question 1: Recently, the Occupy Wall Street movement has been pushing for ways to help equalize the playing field between the ultrarich and the middle class and poor, what policies do you offer that would help make the Economy work for all Americans?

Answer: Well, I've been a strong middle class champion my entire career. I have always believed that when the middle class is strong, communities are strong. For too long the Democratic Party has abandoned working folks. People don't want bankers making decisions in Washington, they want people who understand them! We must change D.C. and it's corporatist culture!

Question 2: For years there has been a question of what marriage should be defined as, and whether homosexuals should have specific rights. Where do you stand on the issue of marriage, and how would you try and address the issue as President?

Answer: I support the right of the LGBT community to join civil unions. I also would love to legalize same-sex marriage. However, if civil unions are the progress Congress and I can agree on, then we'll start there. The times have changed, and our social norms will always change with them.

Question 3: As you all know, America's corporate/business tax rates are relatively higher compared to the rest of the world, and Republicans say we must lower it in order to keep American Business competitive with the rest of the World. What changes would you make to the Corporate/Business tax rates, while also avoiding giving the rich a massive tax break?

Answer: As I said before, people are sick and tired of big banks and CEOs getting off for ruining the lives of everyday people with corrupt and predatory policies. They go to jail for smoking pot, and the extremely powerful face no consequences for their disgusting actions. If corporations are going to take more, they should pay more.

Closing Statement: I want to thank my fellow candidates and our fantastic moderator. In this election, we face 4 options. Barack Obama, Barack Obama, and David Duke. We also have an opportunity for real change. A candidate who will never stop fighting for the little guy. Let's win Iowa, let's win New Hampshire, and let's take back America!
ethanforamerica
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #151 on: March 29, 2018, 05:52:39 PM »

Here is a link to my schedule-

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DdA7ZLkwlu7hhHphZhozkBHQqln7M6iassaPC4Xmyoc/edit
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #152 on: March 29, 2018, 07:00:39 PM »

Could you post it on here next time? Also, only make out of character statements in the OOC/Signups thread.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #153 on: March 29, 2018, 07:02:14 PM »

Michelle Responds to the Governor's Comments

Let's see if I understand you, Governor Bredesen. You chose not to support fundamental rights for our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters because it would not be politically viable. That's not what a leader does. A leader does not give up on his or her principles simply because they're not popular, or that Republicans control the legislature, or for any reason, really. That's certainly not the kind of leader Americans need in 2012, and I can guarantee you that giving up on your principles, giving up the good fight, has serious negative consequences on the most vulnerable people in our society. Do you think that Reverend King should have stood down in his march for civil rights simply because it was not a politically viable strategy in the Jim Crow-era South? Should abolitionists in the 19th century have abandoned their goals of an America without the absolutely disgusting practice of slavery simply because pro-slavery forces in Congress had far more political power? Obviously not, and it's not right that you think it's fine to brush off your decision to throw aside the rights of LGBT individuals because it was not politically viable to do while you were Governor.

And let's not give the excuse of the South "not liking being told what to do." No one likes to be told what to do, first of all, but no one has the right to discriminate against a fellow citizen simply because of who they love. That's not "free speech," Governor, that's bigotry. And I cannot fathom why you think promoting equality for LGBT people is acting "like a dictator." That's ridiculous – I'm proposing using a legal method, a constitutional amendment, to ensure that our LGBT compatriots are no longer forced to be second-class citizens. In addition, Governor, a lot of Southerners did not like being told what to do and were very angry at the passage of the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act, the decision in Brown v. Board, and countless other vital legislation that finally ended the oppression of Jim Crow. You're implying that we should have never passed those monumental laws because it would have been forcing the South to change its ways.

Finally, Governor, I would prefer to not be lectured on the African-American leaders of the civil rights movement by someone who has never experienced the kind of discrimination that black Americans have for centuries. My ancestors were slaves in the Carolinas. My grandfather, Fraser, was born in South Carolina at the height of Jim Crow. The stories of discrimination and hatred that he had told me shake me to my very core – and I still see racism and discrimination occurring today. LGBT Americans also experience a similar form of bigotry – violence, verbal abuse, discrimination – and I cannot believe someone would be able to tell, to their face, that their rights to be treated as an equal American can wait. That their rights are secondary to the attitudes and desires of those in power. I know I would not be able to say that to my grandfather's face.

Governor, I'm thoroughly unconvinced by your justifications, and I believe millions of Americans, gay and straight, black and white, share my opinion. When it comes to fundamental rights, the right to be treated as an equal in the eyes of the law, any action except immediate action is too late.

Mrs. Obama, have you talked with Southern Conservatives? Have you talked with the ordinary citizen? Have you talked with extremists? Implementing a forced National Government implementation of Homosexual rights will not improve things. You talk about Brown v Board so I'll bring up the 1964 Civil Rights Act. After that happened, there are still Hate Crimes and racism all across the South against African Americans. We also saw the South double down and there is a reason why there are problems rooting back to 1964. The simple fact about this is that we could see a rise in Hate groups against Homosexuals in the South or in any part of the country. When I talk about Booker's ideals, I talk about slow integration, get people used to the idea, and then pass it. If you want to have a Nationwide Act on legalizing, do it but I do think there will be major consequences. Homophobes will exist and after such a thing, they will be convinced that the Government will want to get involved in their own personal life. The sad thing is, many people, while disagreeing with the Homophobic rhetoric, will agree that the Government is getting too involved in the rights of states. The Founding Fathers created the Government and the Constitution for two things: To Protect the people and to make sure the Law is followed. That is it. Another thing I want to ask you, if you do this, do you think the Westborough Baptist Church will just disintegrate and vanish? This is a general question that I want to know, Mrs. Obama.

Also, I want to say this: No, Mrs. Obama, I wasn't lecturing on African American Civil Rights Leaders. If I sounded as such, I do apologize, Mrs. Obama. I was simply bringing up the ideas of a prominent leader in Civil Rights history and since this is a Civil Rights Issue, I do believe I have the right to bring them up.

In the end, I prefer slow change and have people get used to things and when the majority of citizens in every state says Yes, I will pass it the second I hear every state agrees. I will just institute a medium law as a compromise to make everyone happy. Homosexual Marriage will be legal and Homosexual voting rights will be secured and defended. Anything beyond that, however, is for the states to decide, not the government.

I hope I have made this clear to everyone tonight and Mrs. Obama, If I have sounded condescending to you, I do apologize but I wanted to say my piece and then be allowed to respond afterwards. Thank you.

If I might jump in here, Governor, are you saying that the Civil Rights Act did nothing for the minority population in this country?

No, I am not, Senator. Don't worry. I'm stating that there are still some left over anger at the government for intervening in state affairs.

Okay, let me tell you why a strong central government is necessary, Governor. At the end of the Revolutionary War, the states refused to pay any federal taxes under the Articles of Confederation, which meant the soldiers who fought for the nation's freedom couldn't be paid. The simple fact is that a weak central government holds little to no power, and without a strong federal government, then the nation would quite literally be bankrupt. We wouldn't be able to pay federal employees and the states would be nations into themselves.

If you want to pursue the line about states' rights,  that's fine. Just understand why the argument makes little sense.

Senator, I don't disagree that we need the federal government for taxation but I think you need to know something. That was then, this is now. The America now is different from America then. Each state has its own culture, own laws, own beliefs, own feelings, and own ideas. Californians are not the same as Texans. Georgians are not the same as Tennesseans. New Yorkers are not the same as Pennsylvanians. By implenting a federal government that controls everything, we run the risk of a dictatorship appearing soon. If you think it can't happen, ask Iraq, where Saddam Hussein was democratically elected and he began to strengthen the federal government. Ask the Kurds what that was like. In Germany, Adolf Hitler was democratically elected and he strengthened Germany's Federal Government. We all know the result of that. Even in the Western Hemisphere, there were Dictatorships of those democratically elected and they centralized the government, taking away the individual Rights of the citizens.

You can say that it won't happen here as we have the Constitution but the thing is the Constitution was to have as little a Centralized government as possible. Also, every country that I mentioned had a constitution of its own but the dictatorships still Happened.

A completely centralized government is not needed nor necessary. It's up to the citizens and the government to uphold this. Also, if we begin to set a precedent of Centralizing the Government, who is to say that one day we get a overly charismatic person as President and he repeals the Constitution or amends it in his own way and begin a Presidential dictatorship that no one can argue against due to the fact that the Government controls everything.

Governor, there are times when we're 50 states and times when we are one nation. How do I know this? Because no state allied with Germany in either world war. Because no one state opted out of sending troops to Vietnam. This is why we have checks and balances, Governor. To prevent something like that from happening.

As for your comparisons with Adolf Hitler, that is grossly offensive. I'm Jewish, and my family was affected by the Holocaust. The father of Senator Sanders, one of my most prominent supporters, is a Holocaust survivor. Do not compare me to two tinpot dictators when one of them was attempting to gas people of my religion. Every person should be offended by your comments there, and I for one will not stand for it!

Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #154 on: March 29, 2018, 07:17:53 PM »

Michelle Responds to the Governor's Comments

Let's see if I understand you, Governor Bredesen. You chose not to support fundamental rights for our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters because it would not be politically viable. That's not what a leader does. A leader does not give up on his or her principles simply because they're not popular, or that Republicans control the legislature, or for any reason, really. That's certainly not the kind of leader Americans need in 2012, and I can guarantee you that giving up on your principles, giving up the good fight, has serious negative consequences on the most vulnerable people in our society. Do you think that Reverend King should have stood down in his march for civil rights simply because it was not a politically viable strategy in the Jim Crow-era South? Should abolitionists in the 19th century have abandoned their goals of an America without the absolutely disgusting practice of slavery simply because pro-slavery forces in Congress had far more political power? Obviously not, and it's not right that you think it's fine to brush off your decision to throw aside the rights of LGBT individuals because it was not politically viable to do while you were Governor.

And let's not give the excuse of the South "not liking being told what to do." No one likes to be told what to do, first of all, but no one has the right to discriminate against a fellow citizen simply because of who they love. That's not "free speech," Governor, that's bigotry. And I cannot fathom why you think promoting equality for LGBT people is acting "like a dictator." That's ridiculous – I'm proposing using a legal method, a constitutional amendment, to ensure that our LGBT compatriots are no longer forced to be second-class citizens. In addition, Governor, a lot of Southerners did not like being told what to do and were very angry at the passage of the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act, the decision in Brown v. Board, and countless other vital legislation that finally ended the oppression of Jim Crow. You're implying that we should have never passed those monumental laws because it would have been forcing the South to change its ways.

Finally, Governor, I would prefer to not be lectured on the African-American leaders of the civil rights movement by someone who has never experienced the kind of discrimination that black Americans have for centuries. My ancestors were slaves in the Carolinas. My grandfather, Fraser, was born in South Carolina at the height of Jim Crow. The stories of discrimination and hatred that he had told me shake me to my very core – and I still see racism and discrimination occurring today. LGBT Americans also experience a similar form of bigotry – violence, verbal abuse, discrimination – and I cannot believe someone would be able to tell, to their face, that their rights to be treated as an equal American can wait. That their rights are secondary to the attitudes and desires of those in power. I know I would not be able to say that to my grandfather's face.

Governor, I'm thoroughly unconvinced by your justifications, and I believe millions of Americans, gay and straight, black and white, share my opinion. When it comes to fundamental rights, the right to be treated as an equal in the eyes of the law, any action except immediate action is too late.

Mrs. Obama, have you talked with Southern Conservatives? Have you talked with the ordinary citizen? Have you talked with extremists? Implementing a forced National Government implementation of Homosexual rights will not improve things. You talk about Brown v Board so I'll bring up the 1964 Civil Rights Act. After that happened, there are still Hate Crimes and racism all across the South against African Americans. We also saw the South double down and there is a reason why there are problems rooting back to 1964. The simple fact about this is that we could see a rise in Hate groups against Homosexuals in the South or in any part of the country. When I talk about Booker's ideals, I talk about slow integration, get people used to the idea, and then pass it. If you want to have a Nationwide Act on legalizing, do it but I do think there will be major consequences. Homophobes will exist and after such a thing, they will be convinced that the Government will want to get involved in their own personal life. The sad thing is, many people, while disagreeing with the Homophobic rhetoric, will agree that the Government is getting too involved in the rights of states. The Founding Fathers created the Government and the Constitution for two things: To Protect the people and to make sure the Law is followed. That is it. Another thing I want to ask you, if you do this, do you think the Westborough Baptist Church will just disintegrate and vanish? This is a general question that I want to know, Mrs. Obama.

Also, I want to say this: No, Mrs. Obama, I wasn't lecturing on African American Civil Rights Leaders. If I sounded as such, I do apologize, Mrs. Obama. I was simply bringing up the ideas of a prominent leader in Civil Rights history and since this is a Civil Rights Issue, I do believe I have the right to bring them up.

In the end, I prefer slow change and have people get used to things and when the majority of citizens in every state says Yes, I will pass it the second I hear every state agrees. I will just institute a medium law as a compromise to make everyone happy. Homosexual Marriage will be legal and Homosexual voting rights will be secured and defended. Anything beyond that, however, is for the states to decide, not the government.

I hope I have made this clear to everyone tonight and Mrs. Obama, If I have sounded condescending to you, I do apologize but I wanted to say my piece and then be allowed to respond afterwards. Thank you.

If I might jump in here, Governor, are you saying that the Civil Rights Act did nothing for the minority population in this country?

No, I am not, Senator. Don't worry. I'm stating that there are still some left over anger at the government for intervening in state affairs.

Okay, let me tell you why a strong central government is necessary, Governor. At the end of the Revolutionary War, the states refused to pay any federal taxes under the Articles of Confederation, which meant the soldiers who fought for the nation's freedom couldn't be paid. The simple fact is that a weak central government holds little to no power, and without a strong federal government, then the nation would quite literally be bankrupt. We wouldn't be able to pay federal employees and the states would be nations into themselves.

If you want to pursue the line about states' rights,  that's fine. Just understand why the argument makes little sense.

Senator, I don't disagree that we need the federal government for taxation but I think you need to know something. That was then, this is now. The America now is different from America then. Each state has its own culture, own laws, own beliefs, own feelings, and own ideas. Californians are not the same as Texans. Georgians are not the same as Tennesseans. New Yorkers are not the same as Pennsylvanians. By implenting a federal government that controls everything, we run the risk of a dictatorship appearing soon. If you think it can't happen, ask Iraq, where Saddam Hussein was democratically elected and he began to strengthen the federal government. Ask the Kurds what that was like. In Germany, Adolf Hitler was democratically elected and he strengthened Germany's Federal Government. We all know the result of that. Even in the Western Hemisphere, there were Dictatorships of those democratically elected and they centralized the government, taking away the individual Rights of the citizens.

You can say that it won't happen here as we have the Constitution but the thing is the Constitution was to have as little a Centralized government as possible. Also, every country that I mentioned had a constitution of its own but the dictatorships still Happened.

A completely centralized government is not needed nor necessary. It's up to the citizens and the government to uphold this. Also, if we begin to set a precedent of Centralizing the Government, who is to say that one day we get a overly charismatic person as President and he repeals the Constitution or amends it in his own way and begin a Presidential dictatorship that no one can argue against due to the fact that the Government controls everything.

Governor, there are times when we're 50 states and times when we are one nation. How do I know this? Because no state allied with Germany in either world war. Because no one state opted out of sending troops to Vietnam. This is why we have checks and balances, Governor. To prevent something like that from happening.

As for your comparisons with Adolf Hitler, that is grossly offensive. I'm Jewish, and my family was affected by the Holocaust. The father of Senator Sanders, one of my most prominent supporters, is a Holocaust survivor. Do not compare me to two tinpot dictators when one of them was attempting to gas people of my religion. Every person should be offended by your comments there, and I for one will not stand for it!

On foreign policy issues we are united, on Domestic issues, we are divided. What I mean is that in War, we all agree and fight but once there is no fighting, we are divided on what to do afterwards. As for being accused of anti-Semitism, I was bringing up examples of what Dictators did, Senator Feingold. In no way did I bring up the Holocaust, Senator Feingold. I was listing examples of Dictators who were elected by the people. If you want to argue that Huessein or Hitler was elected by the citizens and both centralized the Government, then by all means, please do so but don't accuse me of anti-Semitism when I bring up an example of a dictator for an Argument.

And the Checks and Balances, Senator Feingold, doesn't matter when the Government is greatly centralized and has control of the law, who's to say we have no way of the Citizens of every state can fight back?
ethanforamerica
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #155 on: March 29, 2018, 07:29:14 PM »

Surrrogate Schedule

Rep. Heath Shuler- Campaigning in Ames and Des Moines, trying to turn out disaffected Dems who don't fit the urban or college town stereotype

Gov. Steve Beshear- Rallying WC voters in rural Iowa and assuaging fears that Democrats are bad for agriculture
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #156 on: March 29, 2018, 07:31:42 PM »

Michelle's Final Response to Governor Bredesen's Comments

The fact that the Governor is comparing correcting an injustice done against LGBT citizens in our country to Nazi Germany shows that he is deeply out of step with not only Democratic voters but also Democratic values. Right now, he sounds more like a Republican than a Democrat; we believe that everyone deserves the right to live a happy, fulfilling life with the person they love. We don't believe that anyone should be treated as second class citizens just because of who they love. I'm certain that Senators Bayh and Feingold, Vice President Biden, and Governor Dean all agree with me on.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #157 on: March 29, 2018, 07:55:06 PM »

Bredesen Final Debate response

To compare me to Hitler when I bring up an example of a Centralized government gone wrong is the definition of Ludicrous. It doesn't mean I don't support Homosexual rights, it means I am listing things that brings a Centralized Government Into question. You also fail to acknowledge that I said that I would sign Homosexual marriage into Law the moment I'm president and enforce their right to vote. Does that sound like I'll support them like Second Class Citizens? Your attacks are simply taking things I have said out of context.

Finally, yes, I may seem more Republican but it's called Bi-partisanship, working across party lines to get the job done. By your Statements, Mrs. Obama, it sounds like you are against Republicans, which makes me question any message of Unity you propose. Also, by modern Standards, John F. Kennedy is a Republican and he was one of the best Democratic Presidents ever known.

I have said from day one that I'm a Kenedite, Clintonite Democrat and if you don't like that there are those who clearly lead the party in a direction that has helped before, then I question how much of a "big tent" party we really are any more.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #158 on: March 29, 2018, 09:37:32 PM »

Michelle Obama Schedule part 1/2

Dec 1st
- Speech in Brooklyn, Kings County, NY

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
- Fundraiser in Columbus, Franklin County
- Rally in Springfield, Clark County
- Rally in Dayton, Montgomery County
- Rally in Cincinnati, Hamilton County
ASPN
Dr_Novella

« Reply #159 on: March 29, 2018, 11:10:04 PM »

Biden's final remarks on the gay marriage topic

Boobs
HCP
« Reply #160 on: March 29, 2018, 11:13:20 PM »

Michelle Obama Schedule Part 2

Dec 16th-
- Fly to Detroit
- Rally in Detroit, Wayne County
- Meet and greet in Dearborn, Wayne County
- Rally in Warren, Macomb County

Dec 17th-
- Fly to STL
- Rally in Saint Louis with Claire McCaskill endorsement
Quote from: Restricted
- Rally in Ferguson, St Louis County
- Meet and greet in St. Charles, St Charles County
- Rally in O'Fallon, St Charles County

Dec 18th-
- Fly to Tulsa
- Rally in Tulsa, Tulsa County
- Meet and greet in Stillwater, Payne County
- Rally in Enid, Garfield County

Dec 19th-
- Rally in OKC, Oklahoma County
- Fly to Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie County
- Meet and greet in Carter Lake, Pottawattamie County
- Rally in Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie County

Dec 20th-
- Meet and greet in Waukee, Dallas County
- Rally in West Des Moines, Polk County
- Rally in Urbandale, Polk County
- Town hall in Johnston, Polk County
- Rally in Des Moines, Polk County

Dec 21st-
- Participate in holiday present donation drive in Des Moines, Polk County
- Meet with Farm Bureau representatives in Des Moines
- Rally in Ames, Story County
- Meet and greet in Marshalltown, Marshall County

Dec 22nd -
- Rally in Sioux City, Woodbury County
- Meet and greet in Le Mars, Plymouth County
- Meet and greet in South Sioux City, Dakota County, Nebraska
- Fly to DC

Dec 23rd-December 25th
- Host and celebrate Christmas at the White House with the first family.

Dec 26th -
- Fly to Davenport, Scott County
- Rally in Davenport, Scott County
- Meet and greet in Bettendorf, Scott County
- Rally in Muscatine with Rep. Loebsack

Dec 27th -
- Rally in Cedar Rapids, Linn County with all endorsees (Clinton, McCaskill, Loebsack, Vilsack, Durbin, and Winfrey)
- meet and greet in Marion, Linn County
- Meet and greet in Hiawatha, Linn County

Dec 28th -
- Rally in Waterloo, Black Hawk County
- Rally in Cedar Falls, Black Hawk County
- Meet with small business association in Waterloo, Black Hawk County
- Rally in Dubuque, Dubuque County

Dec 29th -
- Rally in Decorah, Winneshiek County
- Meet and greet in Osage, Mitchell County
- Meet and greet in Northwood, Worth County
- Meet and greet in Forest City, Winnebago County

Dec 30th -
- Rally in Algona, Kossuth County
- Meet and greet in Graettinger, Palo Alto County
- Rally in Spencer, Clay County
- Rally in Storm Lake, Buena Vista County
- Fly to DC

Dec 31st - Jan 1st
- Celebrate New Years' at the White House

Jan 2nd -
- Fly to Des Moines
- Rally in Des Moines, Polk County
- Meet and greet in Ankeny, Polk County
- Meet and greet in Altoona, Polk County
- Meet and greet in Pleasant Hill, Polk County

Jan 3rd-
- Last-Minute GOTV Rally in Des Moines, Polk County, with all endorsers

Surrogates:

Dave Loebsack: Meet with community leaders, local farmers' bureaus, and small business associations for first half of the month. GOTV rallies throughout IA-02 for second half of the month.

Tom Vilsack: Meet with community leaders and state senators throughout the state for first half. GOTV in IA-01 and IA-03 for second half of the month.

Oprah Winfrey: Fundraise in LA and San Francisco. GOTV rallies in major cities of Iowa.

Hillary Clinton: Hold rallies around New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, and New York. GOTV last week of December and first of January in Iowa.

Richard Trumka: Send out letters to AFL-CIO members urging them to support Obama for President. Meet with local labor leaders in Nevada and Iowa and speak about the campaign.

Dick Durbin: Work on building support in New Hampshire and Iowa. GOTV operations for last week.

Claire McCaskill: rallies around Missouri. GOTV in final week in Iowa.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #161 on: March 29, 2018, 11:31:33 PM »

Ad #1: She Fought
TV; SC, MO, FL, and other southern states

Ad #2: For Our Troops
TV; run in New Hampshire, the Midwest and the West

wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: March 30, 2018, 12:05:54 AM »

TURN IS CLOSED!

I'll begin the coverage of the IA Caucuses shortly, I just need to finish grading all your performances.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #163 on: March 30, 2018, 12:34:20 AM »

America's Choice 2012: Iowa Caucuses

Anderson Cooper: Hello America, and welcome to Election Night on CNN. With now 30 minutes to go until the caucus doors close, it's time to begin our coverage of the Iowa Caucuses. Tonight, we have two races which have both been hard-fought, the Democratic and Republican caucuses. When the polls close, we'll have a joint broadcasters' exit poll to reveal how we think Iowa voted tonight. Bear in mind; however, that this exit poll is not often 100 percent accurate. Now, with the formalities out of the way, let's get to our team of pundits and reporters here with us tonight. First, let's start off with some analysis from Jim Acosta. Over the past week, what have you seen in Iowa, Jim?

Jim Acosta: Well, it's been an interesting race for sure. On the Republican side, the race seems to have narrowed over the course of the past month, as all five of the main Republican candidates have made a major push for Iowa. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the winner's margin tonight will be less than a point. All five of the candidates that have been out here on the trail, especially in the last week, have been able to rally all of their respective bases. I'm seeing that this is shaping up to be a close race, Anderson.

Anderson Cooper: Thanks, Jim. Alright, now onto our next political contributor, former Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, who himself was floated as a potential candidate for the Republican nomination in this cycle before declining to enter. What are your thoughts, and who do you think will pull out a win tonight?

Rick Santorum: As Jim said earlier, I also think this is going to be a very close race in the fight for the Republican nomination. Huckabee's got some momentum, so if I were a betting man, I would place my bets on him. However, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to see even Bachmann pull out a win tonight. On the Democratic side, it seems like mostly a foregone conclusion. Obama's led the polls in Iowa for a few months now, and it doesn't seem if anything's changed that. I would be surprised to see anyone else eke out a win. However, I think the real story for the Democrats here isn't who wins tonight, but by how much. It'll be interesting to see where all the candidates place tonight, and I think we may be in for a long one.

Anderson Cooper: Alright, thank you. Now, we'll go to a quick commercial break before we return to our coverage of the 2012 Iowa Caucuses.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #164 on: March 30, 2018, 12:49:10 AM »

30 minutes later...

Wolf Blitzer: ...Alright, and I'll have to interrupt you here, the polls are now closed in Iowa, and I'm told we have our exit poll.

Iowa Republican Caucus Exit Poll

Mike Huckabee: 19-23%
Jeb Bush: 19-23%
Jim DeMint: 19-22%
Michelle Bachmann: 18-21%
Rudy Guiliani: 14-19%
Adam Carolla: 0-2%

Michelle Obama: 40-44%
Joe Biden: 30-36%
Russ Feingold: 8-16%
Phil Bredesen: 6-10%
Evan Bayh: 1-4%
Howard Dean: 0-3%

Anderson Cooper: And this is pretty much close to what we've been expecting all week. Interesting to note; however, that according to our exit poll it appears that Huckabee, Bush, and DeMint are in a virtual tie with Bachmann and Guiliani close behind. However, do remember this is only an exit poll, and anything can still happen.

Wolf Blitzer: That's interesting, Anderson. On the Democratic side, no surprise there. However, as we said earlier, it will be the margins that matter in this race. As you can see, we have the chance for a four-point gap or a fourteen-point gap between Obama and Biden in this exit poll. Right now, i's an early night, and there's still much more to come.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #165 on: March 30, 2018, 01:13:18 AM »

Wolf Blitzer: With our first caucus sites beginning to report, here's how the race looks:

Iowa Republican Caucus (2% reporting)

Mike Huckabee: 61.07%
Jeb Bush: 14.61%
Jim DeMint: 9.60%
Michelle Bachmann: 8.32%
Rudy Guiliani: 5.45%
Adam Carolla: 0.95%

Iowa Democratic Caucus (2% reporting)

Michelle Obama: 48.12%
Joe Biden: 21.51%
Russ Feingold: 20.50%
Phil Bredesen: 6.61%
Evan Bayh: 1.90%
Howard Dean: 1.36%

Anderson Cooper: There's not much you can draw from these early results yet, as we only have two percent in, and we're nowhere near the point that we can make any calls. However, there is one thing that we are definitive about at this moment, and it is the turnout. We're going live to a caucus site in Council Bluffs, where we have CNN correspondent Rosa Flores. Rosa?

Rosa Flores: Hi Anderson. As you can see behind me right now, this caucus site is mostly empty save for volunteers counting the votes; however, we're hearing reports of record turnout in the Republican caucuses tonight. In many sites, especially in the major cities such as Des Moines but even in some rural sites, the doors are being held open past the poll closing time as there are so many people coming out to make their voice heard tonight. While turnout in the Democratic caucuses is also up, it's only up by a modest amount, while some GOP leaders expect the turnout in the Republican caucus to break records tonight. One volunteer here told me tonight that he believes it was due to the fact that Republicans seem to be more motivated about voting in this election, and because of the furious push for votes on the GOP side in the past few days.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: March 30, 2018, 01:26:17 AM »

Wolf Blitzer: Alright, and now with ten percent in, we now have some more results:

Iowa Republican Caucus (10% reporting)

Mike Huckabee: 28.01%
Jeb Bush: 21.67%
Michelle Bachmann: 19.41%
Jim DeMint: 16.60%
Rudy Guiliani: 13.49%
Adam Carolla: 0.82%

Iowa Democratic Caucus (10% reporting)

Michelle Obama: 44.18%
Joe Biden: 28.65%
Russ Feingold: 15.51%
Phil Bredesen: 8.62%
Evan Bayh: 1.80%
Howard Dean: 1.24%

Anderson Cooper: As you can see, these results are now starting to look quite a bit more like how polls predicted. It's still early, so expect some changes in the races as the night wears on, but I have to say, right now, pretty much every candidate is hitting the mark they need to perform at if they want to win tonight. How do you think that'll impact tonight's results, Wolf?

Wolf Blitzer: Well, the Republican race will likely come down to the wire tonight. I have to say, especially Bachmann is over-performing her expectations in suburban caucus sites, so that may have an impact in who leads in the race tonight, and by how much. On the Democratic side, we still have many of the Obama-friendly sites reporting, so expect her lead to fall a bit in a few moments. However, as you said, it's still early, and anything can happen.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: March 30, 2018, 01:36:31 AM »

Wolf Blitzer: The Republican race has significantly narrowed with a dump of results from Iowa City and Des Moines, now with 32 percent reporting.

Iowa Republican Caucus (32% reporting)

Mike Huckabee: 21.17%
Jim DeMint: 19.81%
Jeb Bush: 19.80%
Michelle Bachmann: 19.78%
Rudy Guiliani: 17.39%
Adam Carolla: 2.05%

Iowa Democratic Caucus (32% reporting)

Michelle Obama: 41.71%
Joe Biden: 32.05%
Russ Feingold: 12.01%
Phil Bredesen: 11.88%
Evan Bayh: 1.95%
Howard Dean: 0.40%

Anderson Cooper: Wow, the race has grown extremely tight on the Republican side. In fact, DeMint has taken the number two spot from Bush by 0.1 percent, at least with these results in. I think it's now fair to say that Bush is underperforming his expectations at many intercity caucus sites, to the benefit of candidates such as DeMint and Bachmann. All spots are up for grabs, even including the top spot, so there is no foregone conclusion in the GOP caucus.

Wolf Blitzer: However, on the Democratic side, we're all but ready to call the caucus. We're just waiting for a few sites outside of suburban Des Moines, a base rich with Biden support, before we'll officially call the winner. However, don't let the prize fool you: the real contest tonight is for the margins. And interestingly, Bredesen has crept up to 11 percent now, just behind Feingold. His performance will be one to watch.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: March 30, 2018, 01:52:53 AM »

Wolf Blitzer: And now, with 63 percent reporting, the fields have narrowed further:

Iowa Republican Caucus (63% reporting)

Jim DeMint: 19.97%
Mike Huckabee: 19.94%
Michelle Bachmann: 19.89%
Jeb Bush: 19.86%
Rudy Guiliani: 18.39%
Adam Carolla: 1.95%

PROJECTION:

Michelle Obama has won the Iowa Caucuses.

Iowa Democratic Caucus (63% reporting)

Michelle Obama: 40.88% ✓
Joe Biden: 31.60%
Russ Feingold: 13.02%
Phil Bredesen: 12.97%
Evan Bayh: 0.85%
Howard Dean: 0.28%

Anderson Cooper: It's just grown tighter and tighter over the past hour here in Iowa, and now even DeMint leads the pack, by a mere three hundredths of a percent. The race is now extremely in play now, with most of Huckabee's and Bachmann's rural mainstays already reporting, the battleground suburbs and cities are still what's left to report. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we aren't able to make an official call tonight. We may have an apparent winner.

Wolf Blitzer: Yes, that may be the case, Anderson. And, in other news, we have been able to project that Michelle Obama has won the Iowa Democratic Caucuses, a crucial win for the First Lady in a primary that is heating up. However, as we make a definitive call in one race, another grows less certain. Stay tuned, we'll be right back with more results.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #169 on: March 30, 2018, 02:10:06 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2018, 03:07:20 AM by Deputy Speaker wxtransit »

Wolf Blitzer: Now, the fields are 81 percent reporting, with still no call on the Republican side, which is virtually unchanged:

Iowa Republican Caucus (81% reporting)

Jim DeMint: 19.89%
Mike Huckabee: 19.86%
Michelle Bachmann: 19.79%
Jeb Bush: 19.68%
Rudy Guiliani: 17.98%
Adam Carolla: 2.80%

Iowa Democratic Caucus (81% reporting)

Michelle Obama: 42.10% ✓
Joe Biden: 33.56%
Russ Feingold: 11.03%
Phil Bredesen: 10.89%
Evan Bayh: 2.07%
Howard Dean: 0.35%

Anderson Cooper: As the Republican Caucus is still up in the air, with DeMint only leading by 8 votes in the latest count, we now have Ann Morris, an official from Linn County on the phone who's going to tell us the situation on the ground. Ann?

Ann Morris: Yes, Anderson. We're just finished up furiously counting the final precinct's results here in Cedar Rapids, and frankly, we're ready to go to bed.

Anderson Cooper: (laughs) I understand the feeling. Now, you just said you've finished the final precinct?

Ann Morris: Yes, we have. Do you have that total?

Anderson Cooper: No ma'am. Could you read that out to me?

Ann Morris: Alright, here we go. We have Huckabee in the lead with 568 votes, DeMint in second with 541 votes, Bush in third with 421 votes, Bachmann in fourth with 386 votes, Guiliani in fifth with 251 votes, and Carolla in last with 18 votes.

Anderson Cooper: Wow, alright. Thanks, Ann. (pause) If my math is right, that means Huckabee is back in the lead statewide by 19 votes. That's quite surprising.

Wolf Blitzer: Yes, especially given the fact that we thought most of his areas have already reported. Well, there's still much to come on what's shaping up to be a very exciting night, so stay tuned.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #170 on: March 30, 2018, 02:24:57 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2018, 03:24:12 AM by Deputy Speaker wxtransit »

Wolf Blitzer: With 98 percent of the vote in, we're ready to call an apparent winner in Iowa for the Republicans:

Iowa Republican Caucus (98% reporting)

Mike Huckabee: 20.09% (apparent winner)
Jim DeMint: 19.98%
Michelle Bachmann: 19.84%
Jeb Bush: 18.98%
Rudy Guiliani: 18.16%
Adam Carolla: 2.95%

Iowa Democratic Caucus (98% reporting)

Michelle Obama: 41.18% ✓
Joe Biden: 34.21%
Russ Feingold: 11.04%
Phil Bredesen: 11.01%
Evan Bayh: 1.96%
Howard Dean: 0.60%

Anderson Cooper: The race is so close tonight in the GOP caucus, we're not making an official projection as to who wins. Right now, we're saying Huckabee's the apparent winner.

Wolf Blitzer: Right. Surprisingly, Huckabee was able to overcome a surge in votes by DeMint in an eleventh-hour finish, barely making the top spot by what appears to be about a tenth of a percentage point.

Anderson Cooper: We said it'd be close, but we had no idea it was going to be this close. Every candidate had an enthusiastic base, and was able to turn out tonight. That's what has made this race come down to the wire.

Wolf Blitzer: Well, every candidate except for Bush. While he will still remain in contention for frontrunner, his absence from the trail in recent weeks has definitely hurt him here, relegating him to what looks like fourth place. And on the Democratic side, while the outcome has been decided for hours now, it looks like the race for the third spot will come down to absentee votes, which will be counted in the morning. Bredesen's made a surprisingly good finish tonight.

Anderson Cooper: Interesting, and something to keep an eye on for sure. Well, that mostly wraps up our coverage for the night, but be sure to stay tuned to CNN.com and on Daybreak in the morning for the latest updates as more totals roll in. Thank you, and good night from our studios in Atlanta.

wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #171 on: March 30, 2018, 03:05:24 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2018, 03:24:41 AM by Deputy Speaker wxtransit »

Final results from Iowa, certified a few days later:

Iowa Republican Caucus (100% reporting)

Mike Huckabee has won the Iowa Caucuses.

Mike Huckabee: 20.16% ✓ (9)
Jim DeMint: 19.95% (4)
Michelle Bachmann: 19.83% (3)
Jeb Bush: 18.96% (3)
Rudy Guiliani: 18.12% (3)
Adam Carolla: 2.98%

Iowa Democratic Caucus (100% reporting)

Michelle Obama: 41.19% ✓ (25)
Joe Biden: 34.20% (12)
Phil Bredesen: 11.03% (4)
Russ Feingold: 11.02% (4)
Evan Bayh: 1.97%
Howard Dean: 0.59%

State of the Nominations:

Republican

Delegate Count:
Mike Huckabee: 9
Jim DeMint: 4
Jeb Bush: 3
Michelle Bachmann: 3
Rudy Guiliani: 3
Adam Carolla: 0

Democratic

Delegate Count:
Michelle Obama: 25
Joe Biden: 12
Phil Bredesen: 4
Russ Feingold: 4
Evan Bayh: 0
Howard Dean: 0
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #172 on: March 30, 2018, 04:27:09 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2018, 08:11:19 AM by terp40hitch »

Bachmann's Iowa Victory Speech

When we started this campaign, I was a little-known congresswoman from Minnesota fighting against big government and fighting for the working class of America. When we started this campaign, the pundits in the media and the elites in Washington who are fundraising Giuliani and Jeb Bush's campaigns said no one could beat Jeb Bush or Rudy Giuliani.

Iowa, you proved the pundits in Washington wrong. We beat Jeb Bush, We beat Rudy Giuliani and we proved this campaign has momentum. We proved that Iowa and the rest of the country want a conservative president in the White House next January.

We are going to take this momentum to Florida and then to the convection and then to the White House! Let's win this thing, thank you, Iowa!
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #173 on: March 30, 2018, 07:33:50 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2018, 09:00:01 AM by New Tennessean Politician »

Phil Bredesen Victory Speech

"Thank you, Everyone! Thank you!

This was Close.
"

* AUDIENCE LAUGHS WITH BREDESEN*

"First, I want to Congratulate Mrs. Obama on her win as well as congratulate Vice President Biden, Senator Feingold, Senator Bayh, and Governor Dean on their positions. Next, I want to thank each and everyone of you who voted for me tonight. With this third place in Iowa, no matter how big, no matter how small, We showed our party that not everyone walks in step with Progressive ideas and want a return to Kennedyism. I, No, WE were expected to end in fourth but thanks to all of you, we are now in Third. That shows how strong our movement really is.

There are still 49 other States and 6 Territories to be called and we have a chance to win any one of them. Thank you Iowa! God Bless you and God Bless the United States of America!
"
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #174 on: March 30, 2018, 07:42:56 AM »

Carolla campaign statement after Iowa

Thank you for everyone who came out and voted and supported us tonight.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies