Canada Federal Representation 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 02:44:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada Federal Representation 2024
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 35
Author Topic: Canada Federal Representation 2024  (Read 51104 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2022, 05:35:56 PM »

Never done this before, but what the heck, decided to try my hand at it. Started with Alberta, not suuuper familiar with the province so I'd love some feedback:

Calgary:

https://imgur.com/a/YwN98zd (for some reason it's not showing the image, so I just put down the link. If anyone has tips on how to fix this, please let me know)

Calgary Centre: 114,741,  -0.7%, the yellow riding in the middle of Calgary.

Bit of a weird shape, it maintains the downtown core and the industrial areas to the east, loses some of the affluent parts to the south close to the reservoir, gains the Wildwood area to the west.

Calgary Confederation: 111,936, -3.1%, pink riding north of Calgary Centre.

No big changes here, loses a bit of land in the northern part of the riding.

Calgary Glenmore: 115,888, +0.3%, orange riding south of Centre.

This is one of two new Calgary ridings, it has no obvious predecessor, as it's carved out of Heritage, Centre, Signal Hill, and a bit of Midnapore. Centred around its namesake reservoir with a slight panhandle to include Signal Hill.

Calgary Nose Hill: 114,677, -0.7%, pink riding north of Confederation.

Just a re-worked version of the existing riding of the same name.

Calgary North--Airdrie: 111,582, -3.4%, light green riding that extends out of Calgary proper (obviously)

This is a new riding. Airdrie, some of the rural areas to its east, a small northern portion of Nose Hill, and the parts of Skyview west of Deerfoot Trail.

Calgary Queensland: 119,911, +3.8%, tan riding straddling the Bow River.

This is Midnapore shifted northeast and crosses the river at some portions, taking from Shepard.

Calgary Rocky Ridge: 117,687, +1.9%, blue riding in the northwest.

Currently overpopulated, so I trimmed away some of its southern portions.

Calgary Shepard: 122,868, +6.4% orange riding in the southeast.

I must admit, not very proud of this one. Currently overpopulated so I took away some of its western portions by the Bow River, but had to adjust northwards and include Forest Lawn. But now there's a huge industrial portion separating the older working-class suburbs and more affluent areas to the south.

Calgary Skyview: 112,420, -2.7%, brown riding in the northeast.

Pretty much bounded by Deerfoot Trail and McKnight Blvd, a trimmed down version of the current riding that focuses more on the Saddle Ridge area. Probably the only seat in the city that would lean Liberal.

Calgary Somerset: 116,794, +1.1%, blue riding in the southwest.

This takes the southern parts of Heritage and Midnapore.

Calgary Sunridge: 111,432, -3.5%, light blue in the east of the city.

Mostly carved out of Calgary Forest Lawn but shifted a bit north, picking up Temple and Whitehorn while losing much of Forest Lawn.

Calgary West: 113,554, -1,7%, purple riding on the western edge of the city.

Carved out of Rocky Ridge and some of Signal Hill.

What do y'all think?

Right click > copy image link, and voila:

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #201 on: March 11, 2022, 05:39:17 PM »

Another relevant point for New Brunswick is the current municipal reform, which will cut the number of local governments from 328 to 77 through massive mergers (elections in November with new borders being legal from January 1st 2023).
Hadn't heard of them, but this came up high in the Google results
can we plan for these yet, i.e. make maps for New Brunswick knowing we won't be making something littered with municipal mergers?

https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corporate/promo/local-governance-reform/maps.html

It seems every new merged city will be called "Entity X" (the new Fredericton is entity 69 and the new Moncton is Entity 34). I assume the new councils will give themselves names?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #202 on: March 11, 2022, 05:45:04 PM »

Another relevant point for New Brunswick is the current municipal reform, which will cut the number of local governments from 328 to 77 through massive mergers (elections in November with new borders being legal from January 1st 2023).
can we plan for these yet, i.e. make maps for New Brunswick knowing we won't be making something littered with municipal mergers?

https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corporate/promo/local-governance-reform/maps.html

It seems every new merged city will be called "Entity X" (the new Fredericton is entity 69 and the new Moncton is Entity 34). I assume the new councils will give themselves names?
Ah. Merci!
This should be helpful to anyone drawing New Brunswick maps. Which could be me at some future point.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #203 on: March 11, 2022, 05:55:39 PM »

Obviously in some cases, these new municipalities won't be mergers at all. Like in your Moncton case, it appears it will have the exact same borders.
the506
Canada

« Reply #204 on: March 11, 2022, 06:07:21 PM »

I tried to incorporate the proposed new NB municipal boundaries into the Level 2 boundaries, btw...
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #205 on: March 11, 2022, 06:36:13 PM »

Obviously in some cases, these new municipalities won't be mergers at all. Like in your Moncton case, it appears it will have the exact same borders.

It takes up a part of the old Moncton LSD (which is also carved between a new municipality and Salisbury).
Krago
« Reply #206 on: March 12, 2022, 09:36:02 AM »

I tried to incorporate the proposed new NB municipal boundaries into the Level 2 boundaries, btw...

I tried to update my New Brunswick ridings last night.  It was so frustrating that I almost changed the name to Canada332!

Where did you find the shapefiles of the new local entities?  This site (http://www.snb.ca/geonb1/e/DC/catalogue-E.asp) seems to have everything but the boundaries that I was looking for.
Philly D.
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #207 on: March 12, 2022, 11:10:42 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2022, 11:54:47 PM by Philly D. »

Just curious -- what data are you using for the population in Quebec? The census count for La Prairie is more than 10,000 less than what the program shows!
the506
Canada

« Reply #208 on: March 13, 2022, 01:19:40 AM »

A lot of indigenous reserves aren't included in the 2021 Census count, including Kahnawake. For those, I used the population estimates from last year.
Philly D.
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #209 on: March 13, 2022, 02:30:42 AM »

A lot of indigenous reserves aren't included in the 2021 Census count, including Kahnawake. For those, I used the population estimates from last year.

Ah, I see. Does this effect the quotients?

Also, I still can't believe Krago hasn't increased representation on Montreal's North Shore. I added half a riding and STILL practically everything is over the quota!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #210 on: March 13, 2022, 11:14:24 AM »
« Edited: March 13, 2022, 11:32:16 AM by MaxQue »

OK, I just re-simplified the Ontario shapefiles in a way that there shouldn't be any (or at least fewer) overlaps and gaps. I'll do the other provinces tomorrow.

Hopefully this should fix it.

Still happening, but I don't think it's caused by overlaps and gaps. I was working on the Moncton/Petitcodiac border and it decided to not highlight a small zone and suddently removed 2203 persons from Miramichi.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #211 on: March 13, 2022, 11:36:26 AM »

I counted the population of all towns in La Prairie riding minus the reserve and it is the number Statistics Canada gives for the population of the riding. So Kahnawake count for zero. Looking on the Internet the estimated population is 8,000 or 10,000. Maybe it is an extreme case for the large number  but it can make a difference for the commission. Using the census number the riding population could go from being average to being large. I don't know if commissions use estimates for reserve or just take riding population provided by Statcan.

There is a list of reserves not completely enumerated.
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2021/ref/iers-repd-eng.cfm

Listuguj I believe is in Avignon-Mitis, the riding has a small population. I don't know if the census is zero for that place but if so, adding about 1,500 people living there make the population a little bigger.
Mirabel is already big in population so if the census gives it zero population in reality the riding is undercounted by more than a thousand.

There was a discussion about northern Ontario ridings. I don't know if there are places not counted that could increase the population a little.

I've been thinking of the fairness of making ridings the more equal possible based on the census by ridings from statcan if some placed are not counted. If there is an estimate taking into account or not in the census it doesn not exists. Ridings boundaries are influenced by humans not eleigible to vote anyway like children or people residing but don't have the right to vote. Trying to make boundaries with ridings very equal in population numbers from the census like within 5% which seems fair on the surface might not be.
Krago
« Reply #212 on: March 15, 2022, 10:12:25 AM »

Sending out the BatSignal to the506!

What do you think of my latest proposed Fredericton riding?

bit.ly/Canada342

Krago
« Reply #213 on: March 15, 2022, 12:56:09 PM »

Here are the deadlines for submitting initial proposals to the federal electoral boundaries commissions:

About the commissions

• Newfoundland and Labrador - Unknown
  • Nova Scotia - Unknown
  • Prince Edward Island - March 9
  • New Brunswick - March 31
  • Quebec - March 11
  • Ontario - March 1
  • Manitoba - April 4
  • Saskatchewan - March 7
  • Alberta - June 30
  • British Columbia - Unknown
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #214 on: March 15, 2022, 06:02:06 PM »

Here are the deadlines for submitting initial proposals to the federal electoral boundaries commissions:

About the commissions

• Nova Scotia - Unknown
  • Quebec - March 11
  • Ontario - March 1
  • Manitoba - April 4
  • Saskatchewan - March 7
  • Alberta - June 30

Will you be submitting your full proposals? Or are you only eligible to submit proposals for your own locality?
Krago
« Reply #215 on: March 15, 2022, 07:53:13 PM »

About the commissions

• Nova Scotia - Unknown
  • Quebec - March 11
  • Ontario - March 1
  • Manitoba - April 4
  • Saskatchewan - March 7
  • Alberta - June 30

Will you be submitting your full proposals? Or are you only eligible to submit proposals for your own locality?

All of them, baby.  Go big or go home.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #216 on: March 16, 2022, 01:20:42 PM »

Never done this before, but what the heck, decided to try my hand at it. Started with Alberta, not suuuper familiar with the province so I'd love some feedback:

Calgary:

Calgary Centre: 114,741,  -0.7%, the yellow riding in the middle of Calgary.

Bit of a weird shape, it maintains the downtown core and the industrial areas to the east, loses some of the affluent parts to the south close to the reservoir, gains the Wildwood area to the west.

This is one of two new Calgary ridings, it has no obvious predecessor, as it's carved out of Heritage, Centre, Signal Hill, and a bit of Midnapore. Centred around its namesake reservoir with a slight panhandle to include Signal Hill.

Calgary North--Airdrie: 111,582, -3.4%, light green riding that extends out of Calgary proper (obviously)

This is a new riding. Airdrie, some of the rural areas to its east, a small northern portion of Nose Hill, and the parts of Skyview west of Deerfoot Trail.

This is Midnapore shifted northeast and crosses the river at some portions, taking from Shepard.

I must admit, not very proud of this one. Currently overpopulated so I took away some of its western portions by the Bow River, but had to adjust northwards and include Forest Lawn. But now there's a huge industrial portion separating the older working-class suburbs and more affluent areas to the south.

Pretty much bounded by Deerfoot Trail and McKnight Blvd, a trimmed down version of the current riding that focuses more on the Saddle Ridge area. Probably the only seat in the city that would lean Liberal.

Mostly carved out of Calgary Forest Lawn but shifted a bit north, picking up Temple and Whitehorn while losing much of Forest Lawn.

What do y'all think?

Whoops, I missed this when you first posted it. As a longtime Calgarian, I quite like those boundaries. The main geographic shift that I would suggest, if it could work, would be to return Signal Hill to Calgary West instead of having it in Calgary Glenmore. While it's not the end of the world, Signal Hill has much stronger ties to the communities in Calgary West, and Sarcee Trail makes a logical boundary. If anything, if extra population is needed for Glenmore, it makes more sense to go south and absorb Woodbine and Woodlands.

Also, I know it's tough to name Calgary ridings, but Calgary Queensland wouldn't work super well as a name - that community isn't very well-known. It would honestly make more sense to either keep the name as Calgary Midnapore, or rename it to Calgary Fish Creek.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #217 on: March 16, 2022, 06:59:58 PM »

Calgary:

What do y'all think?

Whoops, I missed this when you first posted it. As a longtime Calgarian, I quite like those boundaries. The main geographic shift that I would suggest, if it could work, would be to return Signal Hill to Calgary West instead of having it in Calgary Glenmore. While it's not the end of the world, Signal Hill has much stronger ties to the communities in Calgary West, and Sarcee Trail makes a logical boundary. If anything, if extra population is needed for Glenmore, it makes more sense to go south and absorb Woodbine and Woodlands.

Also, I know it's tough to name Calgary ridings, but Calgary Queensland wouldn't work super well as a name - that community isn't very well-known. It would honestly make more sense to either keep the name as Calgary Midnapore, or rename it to Calgary Fish Creek.

What do you think of the idea of chopping off a bit of Calgary Confederation and putting it into Centre? It would create a distinctly "urban" riding in Calgary and chop off some of the leafy suburbs in Calgary Centre that feel a little mismatched with the downtown core, but it would require the riding to be on both sides of the river.
Krago
« Reply #218 on: March 16, 2022, 10:01:33 PM »

After seeing all the other Calgary proposals, I decided to take another kick at the can.

bit.ly/Canada342  (Alternatives)

Introducing the monstrosity known as Calgary Ogden!

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #219 on: March 17, 2022, 09:24:42 AM »

You know, I think the area south of Fish Creek is about the size of one riding. Wouldn't it make sense to make that area one riding, since Fish Creek makes for such a natural border?
Krago
« Reply #220 on: March 17, 2022, 10:46:41 AM »

My new improved Calgary alternative.  Thoughts?

Krago
« Reply #221 on: March 17, 2022, 11:53:29 AM »

You know, I think the area south of Fish Creek is about the size of one riding. Wouldn't it make sense to make that area one riding, since Fish Creek makes for such a natural border?

Here is the Hatman Variation.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #222 on: March 17, 2022, 04:28:09 PM »

Yes, that's what I had in mind, at least for the riding you've named "Gretzky". Only 274 people off the quotient too!

Of course that map would be DOA with those specific names. Tongue
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #223 on: March 18, 2022, 03:34:59 PM »

Calgary:

What do y'all think?

What do you think of the idea of chopping off a bit of Calgary Confederation and putting it into Centre? It would create a distinctly "urban" riding in Calgary and chop off some of the leafy suburbs in Calgary Centre that feel a little mismatched with the downtown core, but it would require the riding to be on both sides of the river.

That's kind of what I did in my Calgary map earlier in the thread, for much the same reasons. Tl;dr of my rationale essentially being that the urban communities on both sides of the river would be better represented by being joined in a single riding than having their voices diluted by more suburban communities within the current Centre and Confederation ridings.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #224 on: March 18, 2022, 03:39:33 PM »

My new improved Calgary alternative.  Thoughts?

This is my favourite of your Calgary maps so far. I might suggest trading Inglewood and Ramsay from Calgary Glenmore to Calgary Centre in exchange for Bankview, just because Bankview is better connected to the rest of Calgary Glenmore while Inglewood/Ramsay are separated from the rest of Calgary Glenmore by a large industrial area. But that's more of a minor note.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies