2014 Senate results by CD (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:20:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2014 Senate results by CD (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2014 Senate results by CD  (Read 23749 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: November 24, 2014, 04:44:13 PM »

Does anyone have any info on Illinois?

The counties' deadline to officially send results to the state is tomorrow, and the State Board of Elections will meet on Sun to certify the results. However, that won't help this thread. The BoE will post the complete state results, but they won't break down a race other than by county. It's up to interested parties to reconstruct the precinct totals by some other delimiter such as CDs. When, you think about it, it's hard to justify staff time for a task that's basically of interest only to election junkies.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 09:50:31 PM »

Any word on when we'll get Illinois data?

^ You'll probably have to ask muon there, but I have a feeling we'll have to defer to DKE for IL, too.

I updated MI. Peters carried CD4, which was moderately surprising to me.

The bad news from MI is that the Wayne County clerk emailed me that they don't have precinct results in my preferred format. I'll be looking to the the individual municipalities for results; other than that, I'll have to copy the precinct results for the townships that I can't find by individually by hand into my Excel workbook. It might take a while Sad

The good news is that the complete set of all results, by precinct, for every county and city with a separate board of elections, was posted at the State Board of Elections on Dec 1. Every jurisdiction is in CSV format so it ports easily into Excel or any other spreadsheet or database. The difficulty is that there are 112 separate files and no cross correlations. Individual ballot lines are each treated separately in the files.

To answer a question like how did Durbin do by CD or Rauner by Legislative District requires finding all the precincts in the smaller district then finding the same precincts for the other race of interest. Its quite time consuming in a simple spreadsheet like Excel. It's a more reasonable task with a relational database like Access.

In any case, the SBE isn't going to create the correlations. The number of possible correlations between offices is enormous. Who is to say that US Senate by CD is the most important one to do? Since DKE did this for the 2012 data, I won't be surprised if they do the same for 2014. Of course they get to choose the correlations in that case.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies