The Great 2020 Free-For-All (Signup/Info Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 10:51:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Great 2020 Free-For-All (Signup/Info Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: The Great 2020 Free-For-All (Signup/Info Thread)  (Read 11298 times)
Peanut
Costa Rica

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2019, 10:07:18 PM »

But seriously, hop on as Hillary! It'll be fun.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.50, S: -8.50

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2019, 10:10:27 PM »

If you're going to create a Walmart substitute, just use the Chairman of Walmart (Greg Penner) or the CEO of Walmart (Doug McMillon). It quite frankly is unneeded to create a whole new corporation out of whole cloth.
You're right. I'm quite one to play outside the box and that has me thinking. What has exactly happened under the Romney presidency. How did Hillary lose to Romney? I should have waited to hear about that before deciding about joining the game.

I'm pretty sure Obama still won in 2008...which would mean Romney defeated him in 2012.

As for how Hillary lost to Romney in 2016, he had the incumbency advantage, and a pretty good economy (I presume) so I find it hard to believe he would've lost to anyone in 2016.

That said I hope you switch to Hillary.

BTW, I'm in as Obama regardless of whether someone plays as Hillary. I just think the game would be better if someone did play as Hillary.

More that not, the incumbency reason may be why Romney won in 2016. It just feels weird to me I guess with OTL 2016 and all. I mean 2004 is a good way to look at it. I don't know how I feel about Obama and Clinton running against each other though. I feel like if Obama's in, then the party would gather around him and he'd be crowned heir apparent. I mean he is a former President and all.

Then why would Obama run at all if Stacey Abrams is running? This whole ATL election is a very difficult situation to predict. I can’t think of anything to compare it with. I’m just trying to strive for realism here.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2019, 10:11:59 PM »

If you're going to create a Walmart substitute, just use the Chairman of Walmart (Greg Penner) or the CEO of Walmart (Doug McMillon). It quite frankly is unneeded to create a whole new corporation out of whole cloth.
You're right. I'm quite one to play outside the box and that has me thinking. What has exactly happened under the Romney presidency. How did Hillary lose to Romney? I should have waited to hear about that before deciding about joining the game.

I'm pretty sure Obama still won in 2008...which would mean Romney defeated him in 2012.

As for how Hillary lost to Romney in 2016, he had the incumbency advantage, and a pretty good economy (I presume) so I find it hard to believe he would've lost to anyone in 2016.

BTW, I'm in as Obama regardless of whether someone plays as Hillary. I just think the game would be better if someone did play as Hillary.

More that not, the incumbency reason may be why Romney won in 2016. It just feels weird to me I guess with OTL 2016 and all. I mean 2004 is a good way to look at it. I don't know how I feel about Obama and Clinton running against each other though. I feel like if Obama's in, then the party would gather around him and he'd be crowned heir apparent. I mean he is a former President and all.

Obama did lose in 2012, so he's not going to just be handed the nomination. The heir apparent is probably going to be someone not actually running this cycle (or Abrams if she actually wins the nomination). More likely, though it's someone who would set up for 2024 (if Obama wins) or 2028 (if any of the the Republicans win)

Besides, any good Obama game always features Hillary in some form.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 0.52

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2019, 10:12:11 PM »

Honestly, I don't think that's what would happen. Remember, Obama's been out of office for eight years at this point. I kind of agree with Lincoln Dep. Speaker Peanut on this one; Abrams would be one of the major progressive figureheads within the Democratic Party if she won, and so would probably be the true beneficiary of the "heir apparent" title. Not to say Obama (or possibly Clinton) can't win, but Abrams would be the "face of the future" among the current candidates, in my opinion.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2019, 10:13:37 PM »

As far as I understood, Obama beat McCain, Romney beat Obama, Romney beat Clinton.

Correct.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2019, 10:24:11 PM »

I’ll play. Not as Hillary though. She’ll be 73 on Inaguration Day, and honestly I think it’s over for her in OTL and this ATL.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2019, 10:26:24 PM »

I’ll play. Not as Hillary though. She’ll be 73 on Inaguration Day, and honestly I think it’s over for her in OTL and this ATL.

So, as your original character, or as a different outsider?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2019, 10:28:19 PM »

Kamala Harris might work.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2019, 10:28:49 PM »

Actually, can I play as an endorser? If that’s possible? If it’s not, then I’m going to have to do some more thinking.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2019, 10:30:51 PM »

Actually, can I play as an endorser? If that’s possible? If it’s not, then I’m going to have to do some more thinking.

I believe your original candidate was rather good, though. And playing as an endorser is certainly... unprecedented.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2019, 10:33:10 PM »

If you want to play as, say, Bill Clinton or President Romney, that's fine. Your role will be pretty limited until the general election, though.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2019, 10:33:46 PM »

I believe your original candidate was rather good, though. And playing as an endorser is certainly... unprecedented.

I’m just really so used to playing as OCs from my time at AH, and I had a perfect one until what Dat said about not wanting high level positions for OCs.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2019, 10:35:32 PM »

I’m just really so used to playing as OCs from my time at AH, and I had a perfect one until what Dat said about not wanting high level positions for OCs.

If you're more comfortable that way, perhaps you could talk to Dat to see if he could allow you to use your OC (as long as it doesn't interfere with other players)? If not, then you could play as your other one, or as an endorser as you suggested.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2019, 10:38:58 PM »

If everyone else is ok with it, I'll allow it.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2019, 10:39:25 PM »

If you're more comfortable that way, perhaps you could talk to Dat to see if he could allow you to use your OC (as long as it doesn't interfere with other players)? If not, then you could play as your other one, or as an endorser as you suggested.

If I play as an endorser I want to play as Jimmy Carter. If I play as an OC I’d absolutely love to play as a psuedo-Trumpish outsider now like the one I had created, but I really need more info about what’s happened under Romney. The culture wars and all that.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2019, 10:41:39 PM »

If I play as an endorser I want to play as Jimmy Carter. If I play as an OC I’d absolutely love to play as a psuedo-Trumpish outsider now like the one I had created, but I really need more info about what’s happened under Romney. The culture wars and all that.

Since gay marriage was a Supreme Court decision, it's still legal now. Pot, transgender bathrooms, and the minimum wage are farther behind, and abortion's about where it normally is under a GOP administration.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2019, 10:43:05 PM »

Well, now that the GM has said he might allow it, you could play as a Trumpish outsider. The undercurrents that propelled Trump to power would not have stopped under a Romney Presidency, and the latent drive for a loud, anti-establishment candidate would always be there. It's really just a question of rhetoric, no need to fill it out with so much information, in my opinion.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2019, 10:47:38 PM »

I have in my head a sort of Martha Stewart-expy, except way more (obviously) outspoken. I love to flesh out my characters, so I’ll have it up sometime tomorrow.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2019, 10:50:53 PM »

I have in my head a sort of Martha Stewart-expy, except way more (obviously) outspoken. I love to flesh out my characters, so I’ll have it up sometime tomorrow.

Well, when I said no major OCs, I meant no former governors/senators; strong outsiders were always ok, just not ones who extended to the point of ridiculousness (i.e. beyond any level of fame or fortune ever obtained by an actual American).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2019, 10:56:13 PM »

[/quote]

Why not just play as Martha Stewart herself?

I admit, she'd be really old (about as old as Biden/Sanders) and yes, she's a felon, but as far I'm aware there are no laws preventing felons from being elected President.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2019, 11:00:25 PM »

I admit, she'd be really old (about as old as Biden/Sanders) and yes, she's a felon, but as far I'm aware there are no laws preventing felons from being elected President.
[/quote]

The thing is I like to create characters and give them their own personalities.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2019, 11:04:33 PM »

The thing is I like to create characters and give them their own personalities.
[/quote]

The fun part about playing with someone who already exists is messing with their personality/political positions.

You could make Ted Cruz into a communist, Mitt Romney into a human being or Elizabeth Warren as a pro big-bank politician if you so pleased.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2019, 11:07:05 PM »

Well, when I said no major OCs, I meant no former governors/senators; strong outsiders were always ok, just not ones who extended to the point of ridiculousness (i.e. beyond any level of fame or fortune ever obtained by an actual American).

I understand the ridiculous factor is really a hit or miss thing. You don’t want crazies signing up, but in reality look at Trump. He is by your definition ridiculous.

I’m not going to through a huge fit about this, it’s your game and your rules and I can and will obide by that, I just wanted to point out an inconsistency.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2019, 11:12:08 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2019, 11:19:33 PM by DatGOTTho »

I understand the ridiculous factor is really a hit or miss thing. You don’t want crazies signing up, but in reality look at Trump. He is by your definition ridiculous.

I’m not going to through a huge fit about this, it’s your game and your rules and I can and will obide by that, I just wanted to point out an inconsistency.

Trump is not ridiculous; what I meant was, you can't create someone so popular they effectively automatically win. Trump is a billionaire and a celebrity, but he is neither the most popular nor the richest man in the world, which is really what I was trying to get at with the examples. They can be rich, they can be famous, they just can't be beyond anything we've seen in American society before. If you want a billionaire, make a billionaire; that's fine! I just set those rules in place to prevent future OC creators from effectively making an electoral god and ruining the game for everyone else. As long as the election (both primary and general) could still remain competitive with your OC in the running, and they're not literally a contradiction to American political history (excluding Reps and "minor" offices), your candidate is fine. Your original character, as you've described them, would be within the rules. I'm sorry if I was unclear to the point that you thought a Trump-Stewart-outsider candidate wouldn't be ok, because one would. I was only trying to prevent people from trying to make hyper-OP OC's.
TrumanJohnson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2019, 11:20:28 PM »

Trump is not ridiculous; what I meant was, you can't create someone so popular they effectively automatically win. Trump is a billionaire and a celebrity, but he is neither the most popular nor the richest man in the world, which is really what I was trying to get at with the examples. They can be rich, they can be famous, they just can't be beyond anything we've seen in American society before. If you want a billionaire, make a billionaire; that's fine! I just set those rules in place to prevent future OC creators from effectively making an electoral god and ruining the game for everyone else. As long as the election (both primary and general) could still remain competitive with your OC in the running, and they're not literally a contradiction to American political history (excluding Reps and "minor" offices), your candidate is fine. Your original character, as you've described them, would be within the rules.

Oh I’m sorry, there was a miscommunication on my part. So the Martha Stewart-expy would fit under the rules then? Trust me not everyone would love her
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies