What's the last movie you've seen? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:07:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 635878 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 08:39:14 PM »

An absolutely horrible movie. My Dad's a big Trek fan and he dragged me to see this movie in the theaters. It claims the title of being the only movie I have ever seen that actually put me to sleep, though The Good Shepard was close.

While I've fallen asleep before films a few times (notably so with Godfather II and Apocalypse Now), the only movie I fell asleep in front of in a cinema was Kingdom of Heaven.

Well Kingdom of Heaven was an alright movie I just think it suffered from bad casting. In my opinion the movie would have been much better if Liam Neeson had played an older version Orlando Bloom's character.

On Orlando Bloom, I agree completely with the BBC film reviewer Mark Kermode (who calls him Orloondo Bland) when described his acting (in a scene with Kiera Knightley in Pirates 3) as "positively teaky" and "You feel like you need to get out the varnish and varnish it."

Actually, Kermode's scornful reviews of all the Pirates films are hilarious - I think they're downloadable from the BBC Radio 5 website. Well worth listening to.

Nice to meet another fellow Kermode fan then.. not that I agree with him lots but he is genuinely one of the best critics out there.

Btw, how could sleep during Apoclaypse now? The GF Part II I understand, but Apoclaypse now? Tsk... Tsk... Kingdom of Heaven was genuinely awful though, but Miami Vice is by far the worst film I've ever seen in a cinema, I'd rather drink a can of paint while being raped by a ten foot green pole disguised as Colin Farrell then seen that again. Oh, and Colin Farrell must die. Painfully.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 06:11:13 AM »

Kingdom of Heaven was genuinely awful though, but Miami Vice is by far the worst film I've ever seen in a cinema, I'd rather drink a can of paint while being raped by a ten foot green pole disguised as Colin Farrell then seen that again. Oh, and Colin Farrell must die. Painfully.

Miami Vice was horrible and let's not forget that Colin Farrell is a product of your country. Another shoddy product from the Celtic Tiger. Tongue

Ehh.. [class snobery]he's from North Dublin so that hardly counts.[/class snobery] Tongue
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 03:06:45 PM »

Today I watched Hallam Foe.

If you like slightly Creepy Indie films then yes this is appropriate.. though I can't ever remember seeing a movie I felt more embarassed for the Characters in my life.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2007, 11:39:01 AM »

The Big Sleep

Finally got around to seeing this; there was a rerun in the major art cinema in the city. Well, the plot was truly a labyrinth but then again these things are never about plot, they're about style (and a whole PhD thesis could be written about it and similiar Film Noir's confused moral code\hypocrisy.) and Humphrey Bogart has that in spades; the dialogue of course, is typically fantastic and witty and made you wish that you could think of that. Obviously it's extremely dated, no art form dates faster than the cinema, and in the end the whole thing just becomes too confusing to be genuinely entertaining. Sadly not my favourite Film Noir.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »

Dune

Not entirely sure what to make of Dune. Watchable, good cast who generally did fine. I got a bit lost though as to certain plot elements. Might need to see it again to judge it properly.

Don't bother; I love the book but the film is wretched. (and you really need to read the book before the film makes much sense; David Lynch originally wanted to make a four hour version of the film before the studios came in. Ah such is life..)

Sting does make a good Feud-Raytha though.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2007, 10:02:09 AM »

Dune

Not entirely sure what to make of Dune. Watchable, good cast who generally did fine. I got a bit lost though as to certain plot elements. Might need to see it again to judge it properly.

Don't bother; I love the book but the film is wretched. (and you really need to read the book before the film makes much sense; David Lynch originally wanted to make a four hour version of the film before the studios came in. Ah such is life..)

Yeah, I kinda got the idea that things were being glossed over, the story could have benefitted from an elongation.

Ehh.. Yeah. Tongue

Sting does make a good Feud-Raytha though.

I didn't really get the point of his character. He didn't seem to have a purpose except for the duel - which I thought also was quite pointless.

Stop failing epically. Wink

No you are right as long as the film goes. Actually coming to think of so many essential characters in the book (Patrick Stewart's Gurney Hallack and Duncan Idaho - I can't recall who played him) aren't really given much time to explanation at all.

But perhaps it's best if you don't go on too much about Dune. It reveals my most inner nerdiness. Tongue

(BTW, I haven't seen a film in ages... A mixture of Lethargy and College I guess.)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2007, 01:27:14 PM »

What'd you expect from a big budget Hollywood summer flick. Enjoyable.

Your review contradicts itself.

Strongly Agree.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2007, 10:15:22 AM »

Mean Creek - Very low budget indie film (not even a million dollars in the budget) that was awesome. Basically a look at these kids in rural Oregon and how they react to their plan that goes horribly wrong. The kids are actually great actors (including Macaulay Culkin's little brother) and it's gripping till the end. The last sequence is one of those that leaves you staring at the credits for a few seconds afterwords before you get up/turn it off. 10/10

This is one of my favorite movies.

Wow, me and BRTD agree.

I've seen two films in the past two days - Eastern Promises and Oldboy; both rather original works from original directors. The former is David Cronenberg's most recent feature and shows himself getting further and further away from the old Cronenberg style (seen in films like Videodrome or The Fly) and into something which actually could be said to be influenced by Oriental films. Despite this it still has the traditional violence though not as stomach turning as before though a 2-on-1 fight in a public bath is one of the most notable visual sequences in the film. Though Personally I prefer the old Cronenberg; though the 'why?' is somewhat to difficult to explain - perhaps it's because the film's plot is lacking in something, though the performances are all good especially Viggo Mortenson in one of the lead roles is brilliantly enigmatic. Perhaps my slight dissapointment is due to in the end this story of Women trafficing and the Russian Mafia set in London seemed just a bit too familiar.

Oldboy on the other hand is both brilliant and bizarre - though both films are quite similiar, appealing more to the celebral than the heart they feel just a little numbing at times and it's no wonder the student responsible for the Virginia Tech massacre listed this as one of his favourites (he renacted scenes from the film in his "video manifesto".) with it's mix of total paranoia, moody mystery and sense of complete helplessness, it's lead villian being very Bondesque with his Perfect suits and elaborate Penthouse but unlike Bond is a true master manipulator as this is a classic case of a story where "all is not what it seems". This may not be good or bad depending on your POV and this is in a running line of Oriental films like Battle Royale whose purpose is obvious meaningless violence (though unlike that film at least it doesn't justify itself with an asinine political message.) This Korean film could never be made in the United States or at least make into a mainstream theatre but anyone with an interest in film should check this out , even though the editing is unusual for those used to Hollywood and can be difficult to follow. Recommended.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2007, 07:28:49 PM »

Audition

A modern classic, as they say. F***ing blew me away the first time I saw it and am glad to say that it still hasn't lost any of its chutzpah.

Was that the one Japanese movie with the fetuses? Cause that was pretty disgusting.

No; but iirc Audition is the one about child molestation (I haven't see it though as I stress iirc.)

Last film I saw = Rescue Dawn. Brilliantly intense.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2007, 07:25:54 AM »

Last Weekend I saw:

Cidade de Deus (City of God)
and
American Gangster

Both were okay. I suppose. Not quite living up to the hype; but adequate none the less.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2007, 06:24:45 PM »

Yeah, that's as puzzling as Gully Foyle's interpretations of movies.

Perhaps one day I should bore you to death on the significant of Pulp Fiction?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 03:14:52 PM »

Also just saw Charlie Wilson's War.

Great performances by all, but Phillip Seymour Hoffman stole the show. That guy needs a lot more roles like that.

Having just saw it and yes, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with you BRTD.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2008, 04:33:47 PM »

No Country for Old Men

Javier Bardem > You.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2008, 07:00:38 AM »

No Country for Old Men

Javier Bardem > You.

What? That's exactly the type of movie you'd rail against. The epitome of nihilistic violence.

Uh.. No.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2008, 05:39:33 PM »

No Country for Old Men

Javier Bardem > You.

What? That's exactly the type of movie you'd rail against. The epitome of nihilistic violence.

Uh.. No.

Then what the hell was it? I didn't see it as much different from Sin City or whatever.

Then you must have been watching a different film with the same name. (or maybe not, I might just have a dislike of hip comic book nihilism, which I don't think No country was. I never felt it was celebrating its characters - plus Anton Chigurh was too much of an ubermensch to be a true Nihilist anyway.) Oh and what Andrew said.

Anyway as I am on a Coens Binge I finally got around to seeing Fargo after it being on my "to watch" list for years and years. Not quite the masterpiece some people claim it is - I think imo that No country... is better and goes too much on the whole "OMG MINNESOTA ACCENTS LOL!111" approach. Memorable enough ending with the woodchipper and all, though the whole tone of the film seemed to shift uneasily in the last 20mins though it did too in No Country aswell. It is not a bad film, but it is far from my favourite Coens (that is a battle between O Brother..., Blood Simple and o\c The Big Lebowski)  never mind being one of the best of the 90s as the critics maintain
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2008, 06:10:29 PM »

The Title is taken from W.B Yeats poem Sailing to Byzantium.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ah exactly (Though it must be said I preferred the bits with Moss\Chigurh than with Jones' annoying pseudo-philosophizing..) the film does not celebrate nihilism nor does it overbear it (In seemed it Se7en for every few minutes there is someone - usually the Morgan Friedman character - going on about how corrupt the world is.) and the Lee Jones character is not a nihilist but rather regrets what he sees as its coming (or is it..? That's what the scene at the end with his grandfather(?) was all about..)

I suspect that Cormac McCarthy is a strong moralist; but not neccesarily in the "conservative" way (which is what I bracket myself.

You also should perhaps understand that often with films the intellectualizing comes later, my gut reaction being the most important. And my gut told me "NCFOM" is rather good, though is let down in parts and that Sin City was the worst type of Nihilistic dreck.

It is semi-Cartoonish I think, Chigurh is obviously such an embodiment of evil (especially with his ridiculous oxygen tank-like weapon) that is impossible to take all his action seriously. Remember the scene where he blew up the car. Chigurh is just the ultimate egoist, a metaphor really.

In the Sin City there was no point other than showing some cool graphics to a bunch of unfortunate nerds with nice close-ups with the sex and violence while a character in the background tells us that it is 'bad' and the world is 'rotten'.

Agree. Though I don't think Se7en is an awful film; just overrated. And I don't think NCFOM is a great film, just pretty good better than most around recently (it is imaginative for one thing... something neither Se7en or Sin City were imo.)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2008, 02:19:53 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2008, 02:38:34 PM by D18. »

The Original AFI List was such a joke I can't imagine people care that much. The real purpose in this exercise is imo to expunge the memory of that awful list (Forrest Gump but no Blade Runner... lol)

EDIT: Having looked at it via wikipedia I claim that the new list is an even bigger joke. Getting rid of The Manchurian Candidate and The Third Man (even if I do think it's a little overrated) for the likes of Spartacus, The Sixth Sense, A Night at the Opera, All The President's Men, Lord of the Rings and most unbelievably of all Titanic!!!. (And still keep Forrest Gump

Okay they added in Blade Runner, but where's Paths of Glory, Kiss Me Deadly, Rebecca, Days of Heaven At least one Movie by Lynch and Cronenberg, Once Upon a time in the West or Once Upon a time in America - if either of the latter two count, to give more deserving examples.

In short, AFI list = Pseudo-Populist humbug for the Pseudo-sophiscated crowd.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2008, 10:07:19 AM »

The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

It's pretty good - could have needed a better explanation of the characters earlier on; plus a bit of editing during the middle.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2008, 11:37:40 AM »

Sweeney Todd - really good, The ending was a tad too abrupt for me.

I also enjoyed it, started off slow and then sped up and came to an abrupt halt. Looking back I think the ending was actually appropriate.

Yes.

And that is the last film I've seen.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2008, 06:20:49 AM »

Before the Devil knows you're dead.

Excellent. Its like everything the realist-heist movie (if that's not an oxymoron..) should be.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2008, 08:25:34 PM »

Saw it last night. Fantastic. Which reminds me there was a specific reason why I came on this forum tonight..
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2008, 08:46:30 PM »

Saw it last night. Fantastic. Which reminds me there was a specific reason why I came on this forum tonight..

The disturbing part is quite how prophetic it's turned out to be.

As a Science fiction fan I would argue with *Some* of that (Super powerful corporations and uber-dumbed down excessive TV have been mentioned in stories of writers like Bester and Pohl since the 50s..) but the way it turned out was, yes, very creepy. I see people like Christina (Dunnaway) all the time...
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2008, 08:23:37 PM »

I am Legend
It was better than I thought, though they really twisted it in comparison with the book.

With three movies and counting, we are still yet to see one that bears any resemblance to the book.

And they are going further away with each movie.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There will be blood. To summarize what I think of this would require an undergraduate Thesis to be accurate so I won't bother. Suffice to say, Daniel Day Lewis' performance isn't quite as good as you have been hearing. It's way, way better than that.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2008, 05:51:53 AM »

I can't believe I agree with BRTD and Statesrights on Idiocracy. Actually thought it was the very thing it tried to satirize.

The last film I saw: My Brother is an only child. Pretty Mediorce, its no Best of Youth and suffers from really bad dialogue especially in the first half of the film (or maybe just bad subtitles).  It gets better though.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2008, 02:05:33 PM »

I can't believe I agree with BRTD and Statesrights on Idiocracy. Actually thought it was the very thing it tried to satirize.

Yes, and thus implied that it was making fun of whoever was watching it and laughing at the mindlessness.

If that was the case, then Mike Judge should have made the lead a major intellectual snob, making him an "ordinary Joe" character just didn't work.

As for mindlessness, I didn't find particularly funny or easy to relate to. So on the level it didn't work for me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies