Alabama now allows churches to form their own police forces (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 01:55:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Alabama now allows churches to form their own police forces (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alabama now allows churches to form their own police forces  (Read 1559 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: June 22, 2019, 11:36:18 AM »
« edited: June 22, 2019, 11:41:33 AM by The love that set me free »

Oh, magnificent.  Before long, we are going to have our own version of the Faith Militant.
Um, no?

Clickbait reporting on this aside, all it does is allow a church with a large campus and school establish a police force to provide security on its property and its property alone. It's not theocratic police, it's the equivalent of mall security.

If this is a problem than so is the campus security at every Christian university.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 12:02:48 PM »

I don't have a problem with this.  (assuming they'd let any other group do the same)

Alabama does allow private schools (including church-affiliated ones) to have police forces which are only allowed to carry non-lethal weapons. Rather than provide general guidelines for them, they require each school to be authorized specifically by the Legislature. The only novelty of this law is that this is the first time they've authorized them for K-12 institutions instead of colleges.
So this just shows the absurdity of the micromanaging in Alabama municipal governing.

Not surprising though, look up the Alabama constitution. It has amendments that apply only to a single county or city because amending the constitution is the only way for them to pass such legislation.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 12:04:51 PM »

There's a difference between allowing a private university to have it's own police force and a religious denomination having their own police force.

This piece of legislation will be the back door by which Sharia Law enters America.

You of all people saying this makes it feel like we entered bizarro world. Tongue

It's not a religious denomination having a police force, it's a single church with a large K-12 school attached having a police force to provide security for the school. So not fundamentally different from a university police force.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 12:53:15 AM »

Then it's not a police force.  It doesn't arrest people or enforce laws if that's the case.

It would do that. For example if anyone destroyed property on the school's premises then the could be arrested for vandalism. The same way you can be arrested by university police for destroying property on a university campus.

And that's basically all they'd be doing. Not enforcing some sort of theocratic code.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 02:13:27 PM »

I find it more concerning that it's at a school than the fact that it's run by a church.  Do these kids do a lot of crime?
Um, yes? Kids commit vandalism and engage in theft all the time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies