Rudy vs. Obama 2008 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:13:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  Rudy vs. Obama 2008 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rudy vs. Obama 2008  (Read 3215 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: March 23, 2009, 12:38:54 PM »

I'm sure this has been done for basically every major GOP candidate from 2008 but I am interested in recent comments.

I've always wondered how Rudy would do. He'd be a very interesting candidate in the General. He'd have to deal with a less enthusiastic base but it could be argued that he'd still get them to turn out because of his economic and law and order/war views. I'm especially interested in what a Giuliani candidacy would be like since I'm an urban Republican. I know that there would be many ethnic areas of many cities that wouldn't be fond of his cultural views/personal issues but would absolutely love him on dealing with crime. Whether you agree with this or not, he's seen as a hero that rebuilt America's biggest city. I know plenty of people that would love to see that in their major urban area. I think he would have brought a real energy to urban and suburban Republican organizations. I don't want to say that I wished he was our nominee in 2008. I still have too many differences with the man (even though I have some admiration for him in certain areas) but it would have been interesting.

I used to think that he'd lose just as bad or worse than any Republican in 2008 because of his disconnect with the base but I've come to think that it might not be as bad as we once thought. He knows how to act (remember his sarcastic "They must cling to religion there" comment at the convention?) and had a religious heavyweight (Robertson) in his corner early on.

Finally, I know that we all think of his campaign as an absolute disaster (one of the worst campaigns by a major contender) but I've always felt that he would have a great team for the General. He just wasn't the type of candidate that could really master a Republican primary but let's say, for argument's sake, that he found a way to win the nomination. How would this race play out?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 02:31:37 PM »

Finally, it wasn't so much his inept campaign that doomed Giulian, as much the fact that wherever he campaigned, his poll numbers tanked. The more the voters saw the guy, the less they liked him.

Uh, I don't think so. His numbers were high in places where he wasn't even campaigning that much. People didn't see him much in places like NH (where he had a shot at winning) and quite literally forgot that he was even running.

Absolute silliness.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 07:45:37 PM »

That is not "absolute silliness". I was serious when I said that, just as I am serious now. And yes, Giuliani would have problems winning even the most solid Republican states, in part because of much less conservative turnout for the Republicans. Another reason: it could be that the conservatives, disliking both of the major party candidates, would form a third party movement. Both of these would be factors in Giuliani losing so heavily.

Rudy would have a strong conservative running mate to make sure the safe states stayed safe. I admit that a third party challenge could happen but with major backers like Pat Robertson, I think they'd make sure that Rudy wouldn't be challenged from the right. Plus, as crazy as it seems, they seemed more energized for Rudy than they were for McCain.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 11:21:48 PM »

Also, I doubt that Pat Robertson would endorse a ticket with Giuliani as presidential nominee.

I hate ignorance...

In case it isn't clear, thats a photo of Pat Robertson endorsing Rudy Giuliani during the primaries. I guess you just happened to forget one of the bigger stories of the primary campaign.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies