The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:19:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 33
Author Topic: The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next  (Read 40246 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2016, 03:16:10 PM »

Damn, I'm excited.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2016, 03:22:10 PM »

Good to hear!

Although when the players say that in these games (or the ASOIAF ones) it usually ends in genocide, xD
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2016, 03:24:23 PM »

Good to hear!

Although when the players say that in these games (or the ASOIAF ones) it usually ends in genocide, xD

I was trying not to be too genocidal last time, remember?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2016, 03:29:52 PM »

Good to hear!

True, but in my defence, it would have been kind of hard to top the historical Red Sultan... (although Cranberry and Snowstalker engaged or caused genocide as well)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2016, 04:41:16 PM »

Good to hear!

True, but in my defence, it would have been kind of hard to top the historical Red Sultan... (although Cranberry and Snowstalker engaged or caused genocide as well)

There's one thing I'll miss about Snowstalker's participation: his long-winded rants about Teutons.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2016, 04:46:27 PM »

To be fair, I miss most (if not all) of the old players in different ways. For example, Clarence playing McKinley as a an imperialistic power-hungry maniac really added a lot to BoP I, the game wouldn't have been as nearly as fun without that.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2016, 04:51:21 PM »

To be fair, I miss most (if not all) of the old players in different ways. For example, Clarence playing McKinley as a an imperialistic power-hungry maniac really added a lot to BoP I, the game wouldn't have been as nearly as fun without that.

Don't forget Ernest's guest star as William J. Bryan!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2016, 05:02:26 PM »

Ernest really helped to add depth into the US, either with Bryan and Alexander Monroe Dockery.

The more I think about it, I believe Balance of Power I was truly my masterpiece, even more so than the ASOIAF games. It was overwhelming at times, but I learned a lot and I think all the players had a lot of fun there.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2016, 05:05:48 PM »

Ernest really helped to add depth into the US, either with Bryan and Alexander Monroe Dockery.

The more I think about it, I believe Balance of Power I was truly my masterpiece, even more so than the ASOIAF games. It was overwhelming at times, but I learned a lot and I think all the players had a lot of fun there.

I never had more fun in any game. Word.
Mauldania
Rookie
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2016, 05:35:56 PM »

I'm pretty excited, surprise early beginning?!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2016, 05:45:39 PM »

I'm pretty excited, surprise early beginning?!

Afraid not, I'm also contending with university, working on a student think tank and being a candidate in the upcoming university elections, so writing and setting things up will take some time (not too long because otherwise I'd kill the game, but it will take effort).
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2016, 06:03:28 PM »

Are there the main countries that are only playable? Because if not, I really want to play as South Africa. But I am fine either way.
Mauldania
Rookie
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2016, 06:04:23 PM »

I think the OP said no countries in Africa, could be wrong.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2016, 06:10:05 PM »

Are there the main countries that are only playable? Because if not, I really want to play as South Africa. But I am fine either way.

I think even if it's a Dominion already, it's still being covered by the Brits.

I hate to be a buzzkill, but I think we must first fill playable counties and get started.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2016, 06:12:21 PM »

South Africa would be a no indeed because it's a dominion and therefore under control of the British Player. And yes, countries in Africa are a no because, frankly, my knowledge on the area is close to zero (Ethiopia could be playable in principle, but there's no way I can make that work on my end).

Personally, I'd recommend China as the largest nation available (assuming Southern Gothic is really going with Italy), or Hungary/Serbia or a Russian successor state.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2016, 06:15:16 PM »

I'd love more Ruskies to squabble with (maybe some Red ones?!)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2016, 06:22:13 PM »

South Africa would be a no indeed because it's a dominion and therefore under control of the British Player. And yes, countries in Africa are a no because, frankly, my knowledge on the area is close to zero (Ethiopia could be playable in principle, but there's no way I can make that work on my end).

Personally, I'd recommend China as the largest nation available (assuming Southern Gothic is really going with Italy), or Hungary/Serbia or a Russian successor state.

If I may five my two cents (again), I'm worried about having too much playable countries in Europe, especially the Balkans.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2016, 07:02:18 PM »

I just recieved some brilliant backstory from Dereich, Japan is settled.

NeverAgain is also our last sign-up, 12 players is the absolute largest we can handle without me going insane.

All I need right now is for NeverAgain to choose his country and give the appropiate context, and for SouthernGothic to give me his info on Italy (assuming he is still playing).
Mauldania
Rookie
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2016, 07:09:23 PM »

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2016, 07:26:21 PM »

Okay, gotcha! Just being hopeful! I guess that leaves me with... CHINA!

I will say that currently China is recovering after the death of Sun Yat-sen with Chiang Kai-shek as I don't see much effect of BoP One on China. I didn't play in the first game so I'd really like some help on this front. I'd assume China would still break down to a Republic unless y'all changed that.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2016, 07:28:32 PM »

Lumine, do you want me to say more details about Ottoman Empire ?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2016, 07:32:59 PM »

I might pop in with a guest again, but no promises.  I have a lot more on my plate right now than last time. Even if you hadn't already hit the 12 player limit. I wouldn't consider trying to play a country, and even if I did, it probably would be Brazil, which in the context of this game should be a fairly sedate country unless it had a player actively trying to make trouble in South America and/or Africa.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2016, 07:57:59 PM »

If you wish, go ahead!

Okay, gotcha! Just being hopeful! I guess that leaves me with... CHINA!

I will say that currently China is recovering after the death of Sun Yat-sen with Chiang Kai-shek as I don't see much effect of BoP One on China. I didn't play in the first game so I'd really like some help on this front. I'd assume China would still break down to a Republic unless y'all changed that.

Welcome!

Let me explain what China went through in BoP:

-After the Boxer War Cixi demanded the return of occupied territory in China, and backed by Russia France, Germany, Japan and the UK backed down significantly, returning large amounts of territory to China while retaining some key ports and cities.

-China benefited greatly from Russian attempts to win it as an ally against Japan. Russia returned Manchuria to China and supplied China with a good deal of weapons and military training, improving the situation of the Imperial forces. Alas, there was a scandal over the weapons trade and Nicholas II cut off the supply, leading Yuan Shi Kai to treat with the British and do nothing when Russia was attacked in 1903-1904.

-Yuan Shi-Kai and Lord Landsdowne sign a Shangai Treaty to improve the UK-China relationship, destroying Russian influence and placing Yuan-Shi-Kai in a large position of power and prestige. With Cixi ailing, a power struggle took place between Yuan Shi Kai, Prince Chun and the eunuch Li Lianying, Japan offered its support to Prince Chun, and once Cixi died in 1904 Chun released Emperor Guangxu in a palace coup, executing Li Lianying and Yuan Shi Kai.

-Emperor Guangxu resumes then his plans for reform of China, calling allied reformers like Kang Youwei and Liang Qichao to reform and modernize China.

Now, that doesn't mean Guangxu magically saves China, but China ended up in a much better position than OTL and since Guangxu is not poisoned as he was in real life, he'd still be alive by 1927. So a surviving Chinese Empire is indeed a strong contender (constitutional or not), although it's perfectly possible reform would have failed, leading to a civil war and a Republic led by Dr. Sun and then by Chiang, it's your choice.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2016, 08:01:08 PM »

If you wish, go ahead!

Hope you won't mind a little delay (I got some cold and it's already 3 AM here, so I'll be off)
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2016, 06:02:15 PM »

I'm planning on running Italy as an end result of the Papacy unifying the peninsula rather than Sardinia-Piedmont. The government will be a theocracy with a legislature made up by the local bishops and the college of cardinals. The Pope will have a very interventionist foreign policy, seeking to protect Catholic minorities across the globe and hopefully regain the Holy Land from Ottoman tyranny.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies