2012 NDP leadership convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 09:28:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2012 NDP leadership convention
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 61
Author Topic: 2012 NDP leadership convention  (Read 145335 times)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: September 22, 2011, 01:21:19 PM »

No offence to her, but I don't cant Ashton and Attractive in the same sentence. Now Megan Leslie on the other hand...
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #326 on: September 22, 2011, 01:22:51 PM »

Those things DL mentioned don't count as experience. Because if we apply that standard to the Liberals, they should acclaim Trudeau for permanent right now. He's impeccably bilingual, young, charismatic, dynastic and has 3 years in Parliament. But he's the first to admit that now is too early, same applies for Megan Leslie. In a leadership cycle or 2, Ashton can run. But not now.

The main criticism of Trudeau ultimately isn't that he's inexperienced. It's that he's a legacy. The public is naturally skeptical that he's qualified as a result; no one wants to vote for the incompetent beneficiary of nepotism. That he's only been in Parliament for a few years wouldn't bar him from running if he weren't a legacy, but of course he wouldn't even be considered if he weren't a legacy because he wouldn't have any political clout (and probably would never have made it to Parliament in the first place).

Niki Ashton is different in that she is not perceived as a legacy and is thus not subject to that same skepticism (although of course she is sort of a legacy, just a local legacy rather than being nationally famous for being someone's child).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #327 on: September 22, 2011, 05:20:01 PM »

No offence to her, but I don't cant Ashton and Attractive in the same sentence. Now Megan Leslie on the other hand...

You have not been in the same room with her. Pictures do not do her justice.

Interestingly, both Leslie and Ashton were hosting the 2008 convention.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #328 on: September 22, 2011, 05:27:18 PM »

She looks like Uma Thurman or Liza Minnelli
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #329 on: September 22, 2011, 06:29:51 PM »

wut (I find Uma Thurman attractive, but I dont think she looks anything like Ashton)
adma
« Reply #330 on: September 22, 2011, 06:39:02 PM »

Personally, I feel that both Leslie and Ashton would be shocked that you're discussing them in such horny-nerdy-boy terms.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #331 on: September 22, 2011, 07:00:15 PM »

Personally, I feel that both Leslie and Ashton would be shocked that you're discussing them in such horny-nerdy-boy terms.

From what I know, women are used to guys talking about them in that way.

I suppose then they both have a very old guy which is losing his sanity and is saying anything passing by his head without control, as a constituent, too.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #332 on: September 22, 2011, 08:09:54 PM »

wut (I find Uma Thurman attractive, but I dont think she looks anything like Ashton)
It's in the eyes
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #333 on: September 22, 2011, 11:18:50 PM »

Women do the same thing. Why do you think Obama got elected? Wink
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #334 on: September 24, 2011, 09:45:03 AM »

Do you agree or disagree with Rex?

http://www.cbc.ca/thenational/indepthanalysis/rexmurphy/story/2011/09/22/thenational-rexmurphy-110922.html
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #335 on: September 24, 2011, 10:20:29 AM »

A+++

I admit that Mulcair has his faults. But the treatment he's been getting lately is a bit too much. Before the election, he was a beacon. Now that the party has 59 seats in Quebec, it's as if he's been tossed aside. Especially with Jack gone now.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #336 on: September 24, 2011, 10:43:20 AM »

Maybe I was too quick to say Mulcair wouldn't fall victim to Brison Syndrome. Not ideologically but in every other sense. We respect you, we want you where you are, we like your ideas... but we'll never elect you leader.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #337 on: September 28, 2011, 11:44:33 AM »

Dewar's getting in on Sunday.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1060981--dewar-expected-to-become-next-contender-for-ndp-leadership
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #338 on: September 28, 2011, 03:23:09 PM »

Excellent. Hope this gives us a bump in Ottawa Centre for the provincial election.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #339 on: September 29, 2011, 03:50:34 PM »

Cullen's jumping in tomorrow. Now we're only waiting for Nash and Mulcair.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1061925--nathan-cullen-expected-to-run-for-ndp-leader

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #340 on: September 29, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »

and Peter Julian
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #341 on: September 29, 2011, 05:57:50 PM »

Anyone heard of this guy?

http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Democrat%2BSingh%2Benter%2Bfederal%2Bleadership%2Brace/5478563/story.html

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #342 on: September 29, 2011, 08:08:36 PM »

Sounds like this convention's Pierre Ducasse.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #343 on: September 29, 2011, 10:27:52 PM »

Maybe I was too quick to say Mulcair wouldn't fall victim to Brison Syndrome. Not ideologically but in every other sense. We respect you, we want you where you are, we like your ideas... but we'll never elect you leader.

To be fair the Quebec Liberals are really a federalist party so I don't think you can call someone a turncoat for supporting it.  After all it has some Conservatives too.  Charest was a former PC leader and Lawrence Cannon was also a Quebec Liberal.  With no provincial NDP, what party was Mulcair suppose to support anyways?

I think his weakness is has a hot temper and I don't find him as likeable as Jack Layton.  Paul Dewar seems like a decent choice and being from Ottawa, what better to place to connect with both English Canada and Quebec when you consider he is bilingual and his riding overlooks the Ottawa River.  I don't know a lot about Nathan Cullen, but he seems like a principled decent guy.  I wonder if he will get any flack over his vote on the gun registry which he opposes.  Mind you his riding is quite rural and the population is overwhelmingly against it there.  I should add although not an NDP supporter myself, I think their policy of allowing a free vote on the gun registry is the most sensible as the divide seems more of a rural vs. urban rather than left vs. right.  The one notable exception is Quebec where the registry is popular throughout the province.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #344 on: September 30, 2011, 09:56:06 AM »

Cullen is in, but Davies has endorsed Topp.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #345 on: September 30, 2011, 10:52:58 AM »

To be fair the Quebec Liberals are really a federalist party so I don't think you can call someone a turncoat for supporting it.  After all it has some Conservatives too.  Charest was a former PC leader and Lawrence Cannon was also a Quebec Liberal.  With no provincial NDP, what party was Mulcair suppose to support anyways?

I think his weakness is has a hot temper and I don't find him as likeable as Jack Layton.  Paul Dewar seems like a decent choice and being from Ottawa, what better to place to connect with both English Canada and Quebec when you consider he is bilingual and his riding overlooks the Ottawa River.  I don't know a lot about Nathan Cullen, but he seems like a principled decent guy.  I wonder if he will get any flack over his vote on the gun registry which he opposes.  Mind you his riding is quite rural and the population is overwhelmingly against it there.  I should add although not an NDP supporter myself, I think their policy of allowing a free vote on the gun registry is the most sensible as the divide seems more of a rural vs. urban rather than left vs. right.  The one notable exception is Quebec where the registry is popular throughout the province.

Provincial Liberal is no problem. Henri-François Gautrin, which was formely the leader of NDP-Québec is a Liberal MNA since years (Verdun).

And the gun registry ISN'T popular throughout the province. Rural areas (Abitibi, Beauce, etc...) don't like it.
canadian1
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -6.35

« Reply #346 on: September 30, 2011, 04:13:05 PM »

Dewar isn't bilingual; his French is very weak. That's why I think he hasn't a hope of becoming leader. If you listen to him speaking, you'll have a great deal of difficulty interpreting his French.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #347 on: September 30, 2011, 04:27:29 PM »

Hi there. Welcome to the Atlas!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #348 on: September 30, 2011, 04:31:34 PM »

Yeah, Dewar's French is basically non-existent. For leadership purposes, Harper's is the bare minimum.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #349 on: September 30, 2011, 08:54:59 PM »

Yeah, Dewar's French is basically non-existent. For leadership purposes, Harper's is the bare minimum.
  What is Harper's French like anyways, it sounds fine to me, but consideirng my French is really bad (Je Parle en peu de Francais, mais moi Francais est tres mauvais) I cannot tell whether he speaks horrible French or speaks it fluently.  I will admit that this probably the biggest disadvantage for anybody from the West as due to lack of exposure French is not widely spoken in the West.  Heck even here in Toronto which is only 5 hours from Montreal, not many speak French.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies