Would you be open for an independent president who is a centrist? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:10:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Would you be open for an independent president who is a centrist? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See question above
Yes, definitely!

Lean yes

Undecided

Lean no

Hell no!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Would you be open for an independent president who is a centrist?  (Read 1530 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« on: March 02, 2019, 06:06:54 AM »

Even though it's very difficult to win an election this way, would you be open for an independent president with centrist political views? Potentially someone who comes from an academic or business background (if a businessman, only someone who has treated employees well)?

I'm not running down a long list of political stances here, but they're mainly centrist on each important issue. His/her cabinet would consist two groups: A bunch of outsiders from business, labor, academia and the military/intel community and some experienced politicans from both parties, who are known moderates.

I think it would be a great experiment and very interesting to see how it turns out. Of course, it depends on the individual who is president, but I really like the idea to overcome the partisan bickering and get realistic, pragmatic solutions done. This could also restore trust into government, that has been lost over the last decades.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 02:30:15 PM »

Lol.... how so?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 02:31:33 PM »

Yes, definitely. I think an independent centrist is most likely going to appoint the right kind of people to the Supreme Court. I hope they don't appoint "moderates" to the Court; I want them to appoint only the most highly objective interpreters of law. Being "moderate" does not equate to being objective. They may vote similarly on the bench, but they do not vote for the conclusions that they do for the same reason. A "moderate" merely comes to conservative conclusions sometimes and liberal conclusions other times. But their interpretation of the Constitution could still potentially be based on their own values. An objective interpreter of the Constitution sets aside their own values when they decide how to interpret and apply.
Example of such a judge?

Maybe John Paul Stevens?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies