Life-and-death issues (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:13:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Life-and-death issues (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Life-and-death issues  (Read 9820 times)
AuH2O
YaBB God

« on: March 13, 2005, 02:33:16 AM »

Euthanasia: YES
Human cloning: NO
Death penalty for juveniles: YES
Death penalty for retarded: YES
Death penalty for others: YES
Partial-birth abortion: NO
Parental consent for abortion: YES
Parental notification for abortion: YES
Abortion for rape and incest: NO
Embryo abortion: NO
Fetus abortion: NO
Infanticide: NO
"Morning after" pill: YES
Withdraw troops from Afghanistan: NO
Withdraw troops from Iraq: YES
Lynching: YES
House bombing: NO
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 03:02:47 AM »
« Edited: March 13, 2005, 03:07:36 AM by AuH2O »

Did'nt expect that one.  Do you mind explaining that answer?

Well, Iraq is a little complicated. But I opposed the war and have not been persuaded much since. Now, I understand the theoretical underpinnings of Bush's effort to reshape the Middle East... but Iraq is too divided internally. You have religious and ethnic splits, either of which alone are pretty treacherous.

So would I instantly pull troops? That's not really feasible-- we can't even do that if we want, it takes time. But certainly I would move in that direction.

note: sometimes I come across as pacifist because I am very skeptical of war as a legitimate moral act... morally I can only justify 1 war the US has fought... the Revolutionary War, that is. And I'm not super sold on that. I can see a case for Korea, a little bit. And there are perhaps wars we didn't fight that actually might have been morally correct, but that's speculation.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 05:24:40 PM »

so, WWII doesn't count to AuH2O? Incidentally, that's really the only war in our nation's history that I would consider absolutely morally justifiable.

Not even close to being justifiable. By far the most inhumane war the US conducted.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 12:20:53 PM »

No, Germans did not start the move to slaughter civilians in WW2. It was actually the British, who bombed civilian targets in Berlin in response to purely military actions by the Germans over British territory (note that Britain declared war on Germany, so actually the British were by far the most immoral actor). Hitler was naturally infuriated and responded with anti-civilian measures of his own; taking the high ground would have been wiser, if only because it would have made it more likely the Luftwaffe would prevail.

Any British civilians that died in WW2 have Churchill to thank, not Hiter.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies