In which of these situations is it appropriate to use your phone? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:04:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  In which of these situations is it appropriate to use your phone? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: It's appropriate to use your phone to send messages or go on the internet when...
At a family dinner

During a class or lecture

During a business meeting

At church or worship service

None of these situations would be appropriate

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: In which of these situations is it appropriate to use your phone?  (Read 1396 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: March 16, 2014, 10:23:14 PM »

Do you even go to church bro? Seriously, though, the 12% saying yes... are likely not in church.

The family dinner bit is terrifying, as is the poll overall. Never has it happened when the four of us are sitting at the table eating. I would probably be smacked with a spoon even today if I was to try, and with just cause. Completely out of the question. During a lecture, it is a given that you will (provided the professor hasn't explicitly or implicitly prohibited it), but in a smaller class, it's not something you want to do. You can go an hour without looking at your phone (but no-one texts me, anyway...) but if you really have to you can run off "to the bathroom" and check it there.

In a business meeting, no, unless it's some long board meeting, I don't know. I'd attribute the millennial score to having not been in many business meetings, either having not worked or working in some hipster wishy-washy open plan office where a formal meeting might imply a one-on-one thing (i.e., getting fired).

As for church... no.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 12:02:12 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2014, 12:04:13 PM by Simfan34 »

Do you even go to church bro? Seriously, though, the 12% saying yes... are likely not in church.

The family dinner bit is terrifying, as is the poll overall. Never has it happened when the four of us are sitting at the table eating. I would probably be smacked with a spoon even today if I was to try, and with just cause. Completely out of the question. During a lecture, it is a given that you will (provided the professor hasn't explicitly or implicitly prohibited it), but in a smaller class, it's not something you want to do. You can go an hour without looking at your phone (but no-one texts me, anyway...) but if you really have to you can run off "to the bathroom" and check it there.

In a business meeting, no, unless it's some long board meeting, I don't know. I'd attribute the millennial score to having not been in many business meetings, either having not worked or working in some hipster wishy-washy open plan office where a formal meeting might imply a one-on-one thing (i.e., getting fired).

As for church... no.

I go to church and check my phone during it all the time. I voted for that and dinner (depends on circumstances there)

But see, you don't actually go to a church- you go to a rather dull hand-waving party without (or should I say miserly amounts of) alcohol in the daytime in a rather pathetic pastiche of the already horrendous "Sunday Funday". Texting would be perfectly acceptable in such a scenario.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 12:49:08 AM »

Has no one else ever gone to a church service when whoever was giving the sermon asked the congregation to text them questions or tweet reactions with a special hashtag?

Like I said, you are not actually going to a "church service" nor is it an actual "congregation". You are going to one of your shows with Christian music and you are in the audience. Moshing allowed at your own risk, I assume?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 10:31:26 PM »

Has no one else ever gone to a church service when whoever was giving the sermon asked the congregation to text them questions or tweet reactions with a special hashtag?

Like I said, you are not actually going to a "church service" nor is it an actual "congregation". You are going to one of your shows with Christian music and you are in the audience. Moshing allowed at your own risk, I assume?

Um, no. For one the shows I go to don't have chairs (which make moshing quite difficult and thus it doesn't occur.) Nor do the have someone speaking for 40-50 minutes with a bunch of stuff displayed on a TV screen in the back. Or communion.

You guys have communion?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies