Public Option Rejected by Senate Finance Committee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:53:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Public Option Rejected by Senate Finance Committee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Public Option Rejected by Senate Finance Committee  (Read 3219 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2009, 09:32:17 PM »

Just please explain why I should pay for my Neighbor's visit because she has the sniffles?

Do you favor abolishing Medicare?

Yes.

In that case, I can't really accuse you of hypocrisy. Wink

Anyway, I suppose you should "pay" for your neighbor's visit to the doctor in the same sense that you pay for the roads that your neighbor uses as he or she drives to work...  but something tells me that you won't find that argument so persuasive.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2009, 10:18:24 PM »

I knew I supported Hillary Clinton for a good reason.

Yeah she would probably have the balls to get this through congress.

it would not matter if God/LBJ/etc came down from the sky, unless the corporate extension of the state a) is cut off from the state or b) feels a great deal of pressure from the peons (democratically or otherwise) there will be nothing.  and there is no chance, never was.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2009, 12:57:16 PM »

Finance committee isn't important, it was never going to pass there, because the Finance committee is incredibly conservative. What's important is the budget committee, where the HELP and Finance bills are combined. We absolutely need a public option to come out of there, or bad things are going to happen.

I think the whole problem with the debate is not about "public options" but the legislation that is included with the public option item.  The public option already exists, as people who are on welfare or unemployment have access to medical care through their state plans, and no one really objects to that.

The problem occurs in the proposed health care reform packages.  As it stands now, the various House versions penalize companies who do not provide health care options for their employees.  If the penalty to not provide health care coverage is cheaper than the costs to provide a company plan, the company is obviously going to cut the benefit.  This places an unnecessary large number of people onto the government's public option plan.  That burden will now cost the government (and the public) more money than if the company kept their medical benefits.  There is the rub.

This could all be avoided, however, if Congress would just pass the Bush/Obama cross-state insurance marketplace plan.  That would put a large number of people seeking medical coverage into a single pot where the 100+ insurance companies can compete for the new business.  This would mean lower costs due to more participants, and therefore more coverage than current exists.  If we keep getting our hose in a wad over "public option," then we're going to end up with either incomplete reform, or reform that is more detrimental than beneficial.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2009, 01:13:08 PM »

Finance committee isn't important, it was never going to pass there, because the Finance committee is incredibly conservative. What's important is the budget committee, where the HELP and Finance bills are combined. We absolutely need a public option to come out of there, or bad things are going to happen.

I think the whole problem with the debate is not about "public options" but the legislation that is included with the public option item.  The public option already exists, as people who are on welfare or unemployment have access to medical care through their state plans, and no one really objects to that.

Do all states offer medical care for those on welfare or unemployement (and of course this does nothing for those who can't afford insurance)? Or are some states put at an disadvantage just for doing the right thing? I would much rather have a federal health plan for the disadvantaged and absolutely get rid of things like Medical so we can better compete for businesses and jobs with third world countries like Texas.

Also I think we need to get away from employer based healthcare since it puts our companies at a disadvantage compared to those overseas. Healthcare is the reason why American car companies are more willing to set up shop in Canada rather than expand or even save jobs here (they are cutting everywhere of course but the latest investments have been going to Canada and Japanese companies enjoy these same advantages).
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies