Slovakia gay marriage/adoption/sex education referendum - Feb. 7, 2015 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:20:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Slovakia gay marriage/adoption/sex education referendum - Feb. 7, 2015 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Slovakia gay marriage/adoption/sex education referendum - Feb. 7, 2015  (Read 14585 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: December 21, 2014, 11:16:46 AM »

Hopefully the ECHR will one day strike down these bans.

I've never really understood why there is such a huge obsession with putting gay marriage to referendum. Why - from every single issue that parliaments and congresses discuss - does this one issue create such a unique desire to be placed on the ballot? Social conservatives are such weirdos :/ (no offence to anybody here)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 08:08:47 AM »

I've never really understood why there is such a huge obsession with putting gay marriage to referendum. Why - from every single issue that parliaments and congresses discuss - does this one issue create such a unique desire to be placed on the ballot? Social conservatives are such weirdos :/ (no offence to anybody here)
Well that's a very important issue. Law on taxes or labour can be changed every year if the government wants to, but marriage between a man and a woman has been the basis of families in Europe and in countries of Christian culture for 2000 years, and it's quite a permanent change, so I think it's fair to allow everyone to give its opinion on the topic.

I remember that the opponents in France were denouncing a 'change of civilization'. I agree with them (except that I supported this change while they opposed it).

Eh, still not seeing it. Marriage is a vastly different institution to what it was a hundred years ago or so. The idea that all marriages should be based on love is pretty new - the law is just catching up with a different social situation.

Besides, I would argue that things like easy divorce or equalising both partners roles were far more radical "changes of civilisation" that affected more people, and nobody wants a referendum on them...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 08:12:09 PM »

Smer should immediately legalise to annoy the right.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 08:26:23 PM »

I hate Slovakian democracy so I don't care Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies