4 GOP candidates who should run as Democrats (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:03:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  4 GOP candidates who should run as Democrats (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 4 GOP candidates who should run as Democrats  (Read 3506 times)
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« on: June 17, 2015, 08:21:30 PM »

1. Donald Trump
Donald Trump has a history of supporting higher taxes, gun control, and he still stands behind his support for protective tariffs and opposition to overthrowing Saddam Hussein. Additionally, Trump is the king of corporate welfare, has donated to Hillary Clinton, and says Bill Clinton is his favorite President since 1989.

That's a traditional Republican position, dude.

Okay, I'm going to just assume you're being funny.

But in case not: protective tariffs were a very pro-business policy when we weren't a global power (pre-WWII).  They really didn't help (and actually hurt) the American business community in the post-WWII economic climate.  It's no coincidence that the GOP's position on free-trade changed right at that time.  It's always favored whatever would help American businesses, and free-trade most certainly is supported by the business community today.  That's why unions are so protectionist and why Democrats are killing this GOOD trade bill right now.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 09:27:57 PM »

1. Donald Trump
Donald Trump has a history of supporting higher taxes, gun control, and he still stands behind his support for protective tariffs and opposition to overthrowing Saddam Hussein. Additionally, Trump is the king of corporate welfare, has donated to Hillary Clinton, and says Bill Clinton is his favorite President since 1989.

That's a traditional Republican position, dude.

Okay, I'm going to just assume you're being funny.

But in case not: protective tariffs were a very pro-business policy when we weren't a global power (pre-WWII).  They really didn't help (and actually hurt) the American business community in the post-WWII economic climate.  It's no coincidence that the GOP's position on free-trade changed right at that time.  It's always favored whatever would help American businesses, and free-trade most certainly is supported by the business community today.  That's why unions are so protectionist and why Democrats are killing this GOOD trade bill right now.

The GOP has changed since 1950.

What is your point?  The GOP has changed since 2008, too.  My point was that the GOP has always been a party that supports business interests, and you can't just say "protective tariffs are a traditional Republican stance."  Republicans supported protective tariffs when they were good for business and opposed them (and still do) once they weren't any longer.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 11:41:30 PM »

Christie and Pataki are fairly orthodox Republicans. Paul obviously is a little better on civil liberties and foreign policy than most Republicans. Trump is a troll.

Just because you're off-the-charts liberal doesn't mean you get to redefine what an "orthodox Republican" is, pal.  Christie is rather orthodox, I'll agree (he simply talks of being more bipartisan), but Pataki?  A Republican who passed gun control and is pro-choice is not orthodox.  I like Pataki, but he's not this GOP foot soldier who supports everything the party wants.  In fact, that's why I like him.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 03:38:08 PM »

How does one have a "left" foreign policy or a "right" foreign policy?

This is one of my biggest pet peeves in politics!!  Who the  decided that being less interventionist is "liberal"?!  If anything, history shows our more liberal Presidents to be MORE interventionist, or at the very least there's no correlation between your foreign policy views and your other, standard left-right views.  Current policies of the Obama administration and how Congress is reacting (didn't more Democrats vote for action in Syria than Republicans?) enforces this, too.

Liberals simply take whatever views they like/whatever views history looks back favorably upon and decide that those views are/were the "liberal" position, regardless of who else shares them.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 01:08:54 PM »

There is no such thing as left or right on foreign policy.  Period.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies