Winning the war? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:36:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Winning the war? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Winning the war?  (Read 9499 times)
Wakie
YaBB God

« on: December 22, 2003, 03:02:42 PM »

This might seem a little unwarranted, but what if the war ends? Let's say things settle down in Iraq and bin Laden is found and Al Qaeda pretty much ceases to exist. I know what you are all thinking. Bush got it bagged. I wouldn't be so sure. I think GWB is running a lot on leading the country during a time of crisis. What if no threat were to be percieved? If foreign policy and national security were removed as issues, and some time passes between the decisive victories, like the capture of Saddam, and the election it could actually help the Democrats. Any comments?
Herein lies the problem, there is no clear "end" to this war.  Even if Bin Laden and all the rest of Al Qaeda senior leadership is captured this "war" will continue.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 10:19:47 AM »

I just don't think that too many of us see an end to this "war" any time in the foreseeable future.

But let's go out on a lark and say that it does.  If that happens then Bush gets a bubble of popularity.  But whether or not he sustains that depends on what happens with the economy.

Right now we are being told that the economy is improving.  However I still see people hurting.  It takes more than 2 months to prove that 3 bad year are over.

So, ultimately, if you removed te "war" then most Americans would use the Reagan yardstick, "are you better off today than you were 4 years ago".  For the majority of the nation's finances the answer is no.  Whether or not that is Bush's fault is irrelevant.  He's the guy who is there now so he will get the blame or credit for anything that happens today.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies