HB 28-02 High Speed Rail Act (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 06:19:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 28-02 High Speed Rail Act (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HB 28-02 High Speed Rail Act (Passed)  (Read 1049 times)
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: January 23, 2021, 10:59:26 PM »

Can confirm I have been contacted, will try to give a thorough answer as soon as possible. Having said that, only the post-reset High Speed Rail efforts are to be considered, for obvious reasons.

If you're working post-reset then the California HSR was approved by voters in 2008 with a $9 billion bond and construction (finally) started in 2015, over a year before reset.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 07:22:02 PM »

Can confirm I have been contacted, will try to give a thorough answer as soon as possible. Having said that, only the post-reset High Speed Rail efforts are to be considered, for obvious reasons.

If you're working post-reset then the California HSR was approved by voters in 2008 with a $9 billion bond and construction (finally) started in 2015, over a year before reset.

Can confirm there has been little progress even to this day.

The almost comical $100 Billion dollar price tag for the full project is emblematic of how poor an investment HSR is given America's ludicrous construction costs.
(If we really wanted to improve transport between LA and SF the far more cost-effective solution would be rebuilding SFO airport so it can handle parallel landings in fog and rebuilding LAX's northern runways to handle parallel ops, but of course that's far less glamorous than a big fancy train)
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 07:24:37 PM »

More seriously, I am unsure how much of the previous HSR proposals need to be taken into account. There's been a lot of proposals for building high-speed rail, the bulk of them pre-reset, but construction of HSR lines probably would not have been repealed during the reset as most of our other laws were because, well, it's infrastructure.

I was under the impression that this "reset" basically meant nothing from before actually happened. Could someone clarify this?

Late to the party on this one, but the reset basically waved a magic wand and changed everything in the world to how it was IRL at the time of the new Constitution's adoption.

In which case the state of California is already spending $80-$100 Billion on the full SF-LA high speed line as was intended until Newsom pulled the plug in 2019, post-reset.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 07:57:37 PM »

The almost comical $100 Billion dollar price tag for the full project is emblematic of how poor an investment HSR is given America's ludicrous construction costs.
(If we really wanted to improve transport between LA and SF the far more cost-effective solution would be rebuilding SFO airport so it can handle parallel landings in fog and rebuilding LAX's northern runways to handle parallel ops, but of course that's far less glamorous than a big fancy train)

California's construction costs =/= America's construction costs.

Like New York they're double the already ludicrously high American construction costs. Meanwhile places like Spain and Mexico are building incredible feats of engineering on the cheap thanks to their low labor costs and minimal red tape.

More seriously, I am unsure how much of the previous HSR proposals need to be taken into account. There's been a lot of proposals for building high-speed rail, the bulk of them pre-reset, but construction of HSR lines probably would not have been repealed during the reset as most of our other laws were because, well, it's infrastructure.

I was under the impression that this "reset" basically meant nothing from before actually happened. Could someone clarify this?

Late to the party on this one, but the reset basically waved a magic wand and changed everything in the world to how it was IRL at the time of the new Constitution's adoption.

In which case the state of California is already spending $80-$100 Billion on the full SF-LA high speed line as was intended until Newsom pulled the plug in 2019, post-reset.

I don't think anything Newsom has done matters here.

Everything Newsom did before the 2016 is canon, while everything he did after the 2016 didn't happen unless the GM says otherwise.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 08:40:29 PM »

California's construction costs =/= America's construction costs.

Like New York they're double the already ludicrously high American construction costs. Meanwhile places like Spain and Mexico are building incredible feats of engineering on the cheap thanks to their low labor costs and minimal red tape.

Forgive us for paying more than Spain and Mexico. 😂😂😂

Quite.

I don't think anything Newsom has done matters here.

Everything Newsom did before the 2016 is canon, while everything he did after the 2016 didn't happen unless the GM says otherwise.

Newsom took office in 2019...

Apologies, I meant the actions of Gerry Brown re HSR which would still be canon but Newsom's subsequent indefinite postponement would not have happened.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies