Autogolpe in Venezuela: The Last Vestige of Democracy Ends (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:15:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Autogolpe in Venezuela: The Last Vestige of Democracy Ends (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Autogolpe in Venezuela: The Last Vestige of Democracy Ends  (Read 2043 times)
DK_Mo82
Rookie
« on: March 31, 2017, 03:57:38 PM »
« edited: March 31, 2017, 03:59:32 PM by DK_Mo82 »

Overdrammatic title.  They will vote Maduro out in 2018 if the election is anything close to fair.

Chavez never held an unfair election and neither have the Chavistas under Maduro. Not to say they won't this time facing certain defeat.  But they are not dictators so again I don't even know if they are capable of staging a rigged election. Even the Mexicans screwed it up in 1988.
DK_Mo82
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 06:33:20 PM »

Overdrammatic title.  They will vote Maduro out in 2018 if the election is anything close to fair.

They have not yet held an unfair election.  Not to say they won't.
...Seriously?! Shocked That is so far from reality I can't even get snarky about it...

Yes they are so good at rigging elections that the ruling party got decimated in the legislative elections in 2015 and Chavez himself lost a constitutional refendum.  Venezuela has held free elections since 1998, period, all international observers have agreed.
DK_Mo82
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 06:50:03 PM »

Overdrammatic title.  They will vote Maduro out in 2018 if the election is anything close to fair.

They have not yet held an unfair election.  Not to say they won't.
...Seriously?! Shocked That is so far from reality I can't even get snarky about it...

Yes they are so good at rigging elections that the ruling party got decimated in the legislative elections in 2015 and Chavez himself lost a constitutional refendum.  Venezuela has held free elections since 1998, period, all international observers have agreed.

The fact that the regime has now essentially nullified the 2015 results by removing all of the legislature's power is a big sign that they're now unwilling to accept any concession of power and that they are likely to do the same in the future. If they weren't willing to give up legislative power today, what would make them likely to give up presidential power tomorrow?

I do not know what they are going to do in 2018, my best guess is they lack the power to conduct a successful fake re-election of Maduro, who will lose by 65/35 or more in a fair vote. If they try to pull off the judicial coup the presidency as they have with the legislature the regime would not last much longer, though many people would die. For now there is no reason not to coup out the legislature, it is not like Maduro has any support left to alienate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies