Do you think this country would be better off without suburbs? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:15:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you think this country would be better off without suburbs? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you think this country would be better off without suburbs?
Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (I/Third Party)

No (I/Third Party)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Do you think this country would be better off without suburbs?  (Read 8500 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: December 10, 2005, 08:26:57 PM »

I have an economic rather than cultural objection to suburbs. It seems to me that the wealthy have formed exclusive enclaves for themselves for the purpose of avoiding paying their fair share of local taxes. If everybody in your town is wealthy, tax rates can be extremely low without services suffering. This, in turn, makes more people with the means leave the central city, which is forced to either raise taxes or cut back on services, which causes even more people to leave. This pattern has occurred in nearly every major city in the country, with the result that many urban areas are desolate and scary. This cycle is vicious, parasitic, and wasteful.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 01:05:05 PM »

But these are so much nicer!

This one's complete with a new(ish) minivan!

Crisp and blackened...

Or maybe this lovely home thing in NYC:

This is what suburbs cause. By the way, I'm so glad you got these photos from a white nationalist/pride website. That's so very classy!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 03:44:49 PM »

Just offering BRTD a chance to live in a city away from those nasty boring suburbs. The houses just need a little work.  Call them fixer-uppers.

BTW Memphis I suspect that you never lived in or near Detroit, so  you really don't know what the hell you're talking about. If you talk to suburbanites around Detroit a frequent story you will hear is that they previously lived in a nice house in Detroit but were forced to move because of the rising crime rates.

And the reason the crime rate is high is because everybody with the means has left. It's not a contest, but we've got plenty of blight in Memphis. The conservative white folks are perpetually moving further and further away, forcing the taxpayers to pay for new roads, schools, utilities, etc. I'm so glad I live in Memphis and not the sticks outside, so I'm not contributing to the problem.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 03:45:41 PM »

Those houses in those photos look suburban to me.  Single family houses?  Don't you people know what a city is?

^^^^^^^^^
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 08:54:33 PM »

Obviously, not all suburban people are bad. I have visited Detroit and it is so repulsive that if I lived in the area, I most certainly would live in burbs.  To anybody who lives in SE Michigan, I am sorry that you have to live near the worst example of urban decay in the United States. Nonetheless, I feel that suburban-style developments (sprawl) are short-sighted and wasteful of resources (my town is constantly closing inner city schools and opening schools in the burbs) and that having separate suburban municipalities is parasitic to the inner city financially. On a completely different note, can we please get BRTD laid, so he'll quit producing strip-club oriented posts. There's more to life than paying a girl to sit in your lap, kid.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies