How do the Richest Precincts vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:17:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How do the Richest Precincts vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do the Richest Precincts vote  (Read 886 times)
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2016, 01:10:15 AM »

I understand that some of the richer cities/counties are heavily Democrat in safe Democrat States, with the reverse being true in Safe GOP states. Do wealthy Precincts vote depending where they are and demographics  or do they vote largely GOP and it is  the surrounding areas that make the District,City,County vote Democrat. Thanks
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 02:24:05 AM »

Well I know that the upper east side of Manhattan is heavily republican
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 03:43:06 AM »

Well, by Manhattan's standard it is. Republican candidate for Assembly or city council there can count on 30-35% of vote. And relatively recently area even elected Republican state Senators and Assembly members (very moderate socially, of course, but still..)
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 11:35:39 AM »

what the f-ck

no it isn't
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 12:15:39 PM »

There's already a topic on this, I think.  Well, at least on richest towns/cities.  In that one, most people who bothered to look it up (including a poster from Massachusetts) found that the richest cities/towns, even in blue states, voted for Romney.

Shouldn't exactly surprise anyone.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 12:54:27 PM »

There's already a topic on this, I think.  Well, at least on richest towns/cities.  In that one, most people who bothered to look it up (including a poster from Massachusetts) found that the richest cities/towns, even in blue states, voted for Romney.

Tom, then - what about Upper East Side? It's a rich area...)))))
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 01:05:41 PM »

You have a link to that? Thanks. My perception, is that for the Northeast, and the West Coast (outside of Orange County), the really rich precincts if with a substantial Jewish percentage, voted for Obama, if heavily Catholic voted for Romney, and otherwise in general were rather evenly split in their vote (except for rich precincts in downtown big city areas, that always vote heavily Dem).
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 01:09:17 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=222140.0

And I have no idea about New York or anywhere else besides the Iowa cities I looked up (and that took me a long time to find those Excel spreadsheets, add up the different precincts from each town, etc.).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 01:15:55 PM »

And I have no idea about New York or anywhere else besides the Iowa cities I looked up (and that took me a long time to find those Excel spreadsheets, add up the different precincts from each town, etc.).

Thanks. Here's historically at least, WASP, and still very wealthy, Lincoln, Massachusetts:

2,613  Obama
1,074  Romney
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 01:23:58 PM »

Thanks. Here's historically at least, WASP, and still very wealthy, Lincoln, Massachusetts:

2,613  Obama
1,074  Romney

I don't have anything close to "hard evidence" to back this up, but I have started to get the distinct impression that 1) it is the upper-middle class, "still very wealthy" areas that have swung hard to the Dems in the Northeast (as opposed to the very wealthy [talking TRULY rich people, not just those earning into the top tax bracket, especially given the higher cost of living out east]) and 2) it is getting harder and harder each year to isolate "rich areas."  What I mean by the second point is that a "rich county" is a lot bigger than it used to be, so the tons and tons of people who live there and aren't super rich (presumably Democrats and the folks that are turning that formerly Republican county non-Atlas blue) outnumber those that are super rich (i.e., those that bring that average income up).  It is only when we can look at township results, and even precinct results if they're available and one is knowledgeable enough about the precincts to draw a conclusion, that we can really decipher how "the wealthy" (however one wants to define that term) vote.

I don't think Republicans have lost much ground with "the rich" since the Eisenhower years ... what they've lost a ton of ground with is "white collar" people, who now have as much incentive to vote Democrat as they do Republican, especially in high-cost-of-living areas like New York and Massachusetts.  Making over $150,000 is awesome ... until you live in a city where rent for anywhere resembling something "nice" is insanely high, taxes are high, cost of living is high, you have kids, etc. ... all of a sudden asking "the rich" (which wouldn't include you at that point) to "pay their fair share" so that you can have better public transportation, infrastructure, etc. (cutting down on your daily costs) doesn't sound half bad.  Combine that with social issues, and what is your incentive to vote Republican?
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 01:30:02 PM »

The richest precincts in WA all vote heavily Republican.  However, the richest cities are now Democrat, solidly so at the presidential level and increasingly so on the local level as well.  Basically, while the Democrats have managed to make inroads with relatively affluent voters in liberal states, the ultra-elites are still solidly Republican.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 02:57:59 PM »

The richest precincts in WA all vote heavily Republican.  However, the richest cities are now Democrat, solidly so at the presidential level and increasingly so on the local level as well.  Basically, while the Democrats have managed to make inroads with relatively affluent voters in liberal states, the ultra-elites are still solidly Republican.

Well here I am quite sure is the wealthiest precinct in Seattle, and it is very, very rich (in Washington Park on Lake Washington). It is a stunningly gorgeous spot with its hillside views of Lake Washington).

Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 03:08:23 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2016, 03:10:09 PM by d32123 »

Well here I am quite sure is the wealthiest precinct in Seattle, and it is very, very rich (in Washington Park on Lake Washington). It is a stunningly gorgeous spot with its hillside views of Lake Washington).

Well that's Seattle.  I'm pretty sure there's only one GOP precinct in the entire city, lol.

There are several wealthier precincts on the Eastside, though.  Check out Clyde Hill, Hunts Point, Medina, Yarrow Point, and the handful of precincts south of them.  They all vote heavily Republican.  
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies