Federal panel says MD redistricting lawsuit can move forward (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:31:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Federal panel says MD redistricting lawsuit can move forward (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Federal panel says MD redistricting lawsuit can move forward  (Read 1654 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: August 28, 2016, 03:07:30 AM »

I knew there was another federal lawsuit from Wisconsin, but I only recently became aware of this one. Either way, I think this is good news. I want partisan gerrymandering to be ruled unconstitutional. I think it's a fundamental affront and violation of democracy itself. I'm not aware of any other First World democracy that considers partisan gerrymandering a tool for its own gain.

A fair map of Maryland will result in at least one Democratic Congressman losing his/her seat, maybe even two if Republicans have a good night. (I think the geography of Maryland basically supports a 6D-2R map in anything close to a neutral year.) Yes, Democrats did defy history because they wanted a 7D-1R map. If I were a Maryland voter with that on the ballot, I would have voted to uphold it. Why? In terms of gerrymandering, I do not believe in unilateral disarmament. Many recent movements have all been in Democratic states. It's funny that you don't see Republicans clamouring for reform in states they control. If we're going to give up Illinois, I want the other side to give up Pennsylvania or North Carolina.

To those that mention Ohio, don't. It's just one of those states (like Michigan) that can hide a vicious gerrymander behind geography, something you really can't do in Illinois or North Carolina or even Pennsylvania. I think California has a good model for the rest of the country. No partisan gerrymandering and no incumbent protection.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies