College Football pick'em 2017- Gameplay and scoring thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 07:07:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  College Football pick'em 2017- Gameplay and scoring thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30
Author Topic: College Football pick'em 2017- Gameplay and scoring thread  (Read 31439 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: December 01, 2017, 04:56:50 PM »
« edited: December 01, 2017, 04:59:06 PM by Dereich »

Jimbo out! Beloved assistant/D Line coach Odell Haggins will be interim for tomorrow.

Thanks for the memories CJF.

I knew it!!!

If I'm FSU, I'd chase someone like Mark Stoops (Head Coach, Kentucky), Gus Malzahn (Head Coach, Auburn), Ed Orgeron (Head Coach, LSU) and Dabo Swinney (Head Coach, Clemson)

I’m not a fan of your list either. It’s like you named just random names. I think they’ll focus their search on Willie Taggert. Dark horse selection could be Lane Kiffin or Jeremy Pruitt.

Kiffin's a hard one to nail down. It's clear he's a good coach...but its also clear from his twitter that he's still wildly immature. I doubt FSU would go there, just like the other schools on the carousel.

Pruitt on paper looks great, but there were some...issues...with his departure from Tallahassee in 2013 that make his hiring very unlikely. He left essentially in the dead of night after promising to stay, there were rumors of (several) affairs that make his wife unlikely to want to come back, and his personality was so grating that he wasn't making many friends anyway.

And I mostly agree with everything you said Serious_Username; the list gets questionable after 2 or 3 people. But there might be other unknown possibilities; FSU is easy to win at and can pay with the best of them. The one thing I disagree with is the "pressure cooker" thing. It makes sense, to be sure...but there isn't really evidence of it. FSU has only had two coaches in the last 40 years and gave Bobby 5 or 6 bad years before he was eased out. FSU hasn't had a coach face a serious hot seat for a generation. The possibility exists, to be sure, but its not like FSU is like Florida or Auburn and will drop a coach at the drop of a hat or something. That's part of what makes FSU such an attractive job; you're basically secure unless you seriously mess up.

Taggart is my personal pick; I think he could out-recruit Mullen and Richt, for one. And USF's success this year is from his players.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #576 on: December 01, 2017, 05:03:19 PM »

Jimbo out! Beloved assistant/D Line coach Odell Haggins will be interim for tomorrow.

I knew it!!!

If I'm FSU, I'd chase someone like Mark Stoops (Head Coach, Kentucky), Gus Malzahn (Head Coach, Auburn), Ed Orgeron (Head Coach, LSU) and Dabo Swinney (Head Coach, Clemson)

I’m not a fan of your list either. It’s like you named just random names. I think they’ll focus their search on Willie Taggert. Dark horse selection could be Lane Kiffin or Jeremy Pruitt.

Kiffin's a hard one to nail down. It's clear he's a good coach...but its also clear from his twitter that he's still wildly immature. I doubt FSU would go there, just like the other schools on the carousel.

Pruitt on paper looks great, but there were some...issues...with his departure from Tallahassee in 2013 that make his hiring very unlikely. He left essentially in the dead of night after promising to stay, there were rumors of (several) affairs that make his wife unlikely to want to come back, and his personality was so grating that he wasn't making many friends anyway.

And I mostly agree with everything you said Serious_Username; the list gets questionable after 2 or 3 people. But there might be other unknown possibilities; FSU is easy to win at and can pay with the best of them. The one thing I disagree with is the "pressure cooker" thing. It makes sense, to be sure...but there isn't really evidence of it. FSU has only had two coaches in the last 40 years and gave Bobby 5 or 6 bad years before he was eased out. FSU hasn't had a coach face a serious hot seat for a generation. The possibility exists, to be sure, but its not like FSU is like Florida or Auburn and will drop a coach at the drop of a hat or something. That's part of what makes FSU such an attractive job; you're basically secure unless you seriously mess up.

Taggart is my personal pick; I think he could out-recruit Mullen and Richt, for one. And USF's success this year is from his players.

I don’t believe Kiffin or Pruitt are terribly likely to get the job. Taggert is my pick as well.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #577 on: December 01, 2017, 05:06:21 PM »

@Dereich: right, my bad. I probably shouldn't have used the term pressure cooker. Florida State definitely doesn't fit into that category. I'd meant that it's probably a higher stress and higher expectations job than Fuente's current position at VT. it's not the same type of job as Tennessee or Michigan, where the HC is perpetually under a microscope.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #578 on: December 01, 2017, 06:17:51 PM »

December 1

PAC-12 Championship Game (in Santa Clara, California)

Stanford at USC

December 2

AAC Championship Game
Memphis at UCF

Conference USA Championship Game

North Texas at Florida Atlantic

Big Twelve Championship Game (in Arlington, Texas)

TCU at Oklahoma

SEC Championship Game (in Atlanta)

Georgia at Auburn

Mountain West Championship Game

Fresno State at Boise State

ACC Championship Game (in Charlotte)

Miami(FL) at Clemson

Big Ten Championship Game (in Indianapolis)

Ohio State at Wisconsin

December 9

Army at Navy (in Philadelphia)

Changing my selection to Stanford.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #579 on: December 01, 2017, 06:45:38 PM »

Stanford at USC (Stanford comes in blazing hot and is a completely different team than they were at the start of the season)

December 2

AAC Championship Game
Memphis at UCF (This should be UCF's shot at the playoff, but instead it's their shot at a NY6 bowl. Hopefully they get a good matchup)

North Texas at Florida Atlantic (Kiffin gets it done)

TCU at Oklahoma (UO is too much for a talented TCU squad)

Georgia at Auburn (UA wins the rematch, but in less convincing fashion)

Fresno State at Boise State (Fresno beats Boise's worst team in a while)

Miami(FL) at Clemson (The U plays to its opponents. I think they squeak it out on the strength of the turnover chain)

Ohio State at Wisconsin (just by virtue of each team's game against UM, I have to give it to Wisconsin. Michigan had no business hanging with OSU with John O'Korn at QB and Wisconsin ground Michigan into dust)

December 9

Army at Navy (in Philadelphia) (Army's best team in decades manages to get it done against Navy.)

Missed a week due to a heavy work schedule.

@NYE: Are you able to split out bowl pick-em results from total season results when the time comes?

Ask DFW, he's compiling the results.

The Bowl schedule will be on this thread, so I imagine the results from the bowls will simply be added to total season results.

I could, If DFW approves add a bonus number of wins/points for doing the best with the bowls offered...
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #580 on: December 01, 2017, 07:32:45 PM »

December 1

Stanford at USC

December 2

AAC Championship Game
Memphis at UCF

North Texas at Florida Atlantic

TCU at Oklahoma

Georgia at Auburn

Fresno State at Boise State

Miami(FL) at Clemson

Ohio State at Wisconsin

December 9

Army at Navy (in Philadelphia)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #581 on: December 01, 2017, 09:16:57 PM »

I can give bonuses. Just tell me the rules.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #582 on: December 01, 2017, 09:35:12 PM »

How does ten points for the best total record in bowl games on schedule, and an additional twenty-five points if a poster gets the winner of both semifinals AND the final of the College Football Playoff right?
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #583 on: December 01, 2017, 09:42:13 PM »

I knew it!!!

Lol at this list. There is zero cance of Gus or Dabo leaving their respective positions (maybe except for Dabo to Alabama) for what is at best a lateral transfer, Orgeron is pretty unproven (lol Troy) and Stoops is nowhere near accomplished enough.

Jimbo leaving FSU is a big shocker though (at least to me, who doesn't follow FSU internals at all). I don't know why he would take what looks like a step down to go to TAMU unless he's going to try to pull a Mullen and get an offer from one of the highest-tier SEC schools. Was he pushed out by boosters he didn't get along with or something, like Bielema at Wisconsin? And that's not even the strangest story of the last week, and the season isn't even over! Jeez.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #584 on: December 01, 2017, 10:16:47 PM »

I knew it!!!

Lol at this list. There is zero cance of Gus or Dabo leaving their respective positions (maybe except for Dabo to Alabama) for what is at best a lateral transfer, Orgeron is pretty unproven (lol Troy) and Stoops is nowhere near accomplished enough.

Jimbo leaving FSU is a big shocker though (at least to me, who doesn't follow FSU internals at all). I don't know why he would take what looks like a step down to go to TAMU unless he's going to try to pull a Mullen and get an offer from one of the highest-tier SEC schools. Was he pushed out by boosters he didn't get along with or something, like Bielema at Wisconsin? And that's not even the strangest story of the last week, and the season isn't even over! Jeez.

Bielema left Wisconsin because he needed more money to pay for his wife, that’s the real reason. Love how that “karma” tweet came back to bite her lol
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #585 on: December 01, 2017, 10:44:19 PM »

I knew it!!!

Bielema left Wisconsin because he needed more money to pay for his wife, that’s the real reason. Love how that “karma” tweet came back to bite her lol

Maybe this, I'm not plugged into Wisc football at all, but the prevailing reason at the time was that he was frustrated with Wisconsin's low assistant coach salary pool and the school's restrictive 'crootin rules (at least relative to the SEC). There was also some degree of tension that Alvarez was still exerting influence; Bielema apparently wanted more free reign.

Regardless, it definitely wasn't boosters pushing him out.

Also, Jen Bielema was kind of a b*tch with that tweet.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #586 on: December 02, 2017, 01:43:08 AM »

This is the first time Stanford has disappointed me in a long time (although usually I root for them to lose)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #587 on: December 02, 2017, 10:27:23 AM »

Jimbo is so woke. Lose an African American body at the helm of one semi-major power causing him to give up his spot so an African American body could take over at an even more major power. Peak!
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #588 on: December 02, 2017, 11:09:49 AM »

I really need to stop tinkering with my picks.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #589 on: December 02, 2017, 11:37:12 AM »

Hot take: even with a win today, Miami cannot stake a claim to being the best team in the country and should not be invited to the College Football Playoff. Sadly, they almost certainly would be.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #590 on: December 02, 2017, 11:57:16 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2017, 12:08:34 PM by Dereich »

Hot take: even with a win today, Miami cannot stake a claim to being the best team in the country and should not be invited to the College Football Playoff. Sadly, they almost certainly would be.

A 1 loss Miami with wins over 9 bowl team, three of which are in the final top 25, and an ACC championship can reasonably claim to be the fourth best team in the country. They don't need to claim to be the best unless they beat two more. You're right that they wouldn't have a good claim to make the BCS championship, but letting teams like Miami is the whole point of the playoff.

EDIT: maybe even 4 top 25 teams if the committee is kind to Toledo when they win the MAC
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #591 on: December 02, 2017, 12:04:36 PM »

Roll Tide, Dereich. Roll Tide. We expanded the playoff to give us leeway in case of a slip up.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #592 on: December 02, 2017, 03:52:21 PM »

So.......
now I'm gonna cheer for Miami, Georgia, and Wisconsin the rest of today.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #593 on: December 02, 2017, 04:24:30 PM »

Although as noted earlier, out of those I PICKED Clemson, Auburn, and Wisconsin.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #594 on: December 02, 2017, 05:52:18 PM »

I knew it!!!

Maybe this, I'm not plugged into Wisc football at all, but the prevailing reason at the time was that he was frustrated with Wisconsin's low assistant coach salary pool and the school's restrictive 'crootin rules (at least relative to the SEC). There was also some degree of tension that Alvarez was still exerting influence; Bielema apparently wanted more free reign.

Regardless, it definitely wasn't boosters pushing him out.

Also, Jen Bielema was kind of a b*tch with that tweet.

It is true that Wisconsin doesn't pay their assistants as well as other colleges, but the main reason he left was for the bigger salary because he has a young wife who is a big spender. Her lovely "Karma" tweet aged HORRIBLY.

This IS why Anderson left though, school wouldn't budge and let him recruit substandard players (academically) and he bolted. Was also trying to institute a spread offense and killed the walk-on program/recruiting in-state too.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #595 on: December 02, 2017, 09:37:47 PM »

September 21

Temple at South Florida - Given, think it could be closer than expected though

September 22

Virginia at Boise State - Boise State almost beat Washington State and would've if they knew how to manage time

Utah at Arizona
- gut says Arizona, think it could be a close one

September 23

NC State at Florida State - FSU isn't at tip top shape but meh

Texas Tech at Houston - eh kind of a hard one, I think TTU will pull it out

Texas A&M at Arkansas - Another hard one, after watching TCU - Arkansas I think A&M narrowly wins it

Ohio at Eastern Michigan - no comment

UCF at Maryland - Maryland is the best they have been in a while this year

Alabama at Vanderbilt - Sorry ER Tongue Vanderbilt is good this year but not that good

USC at California - I want to believe in the upset but nah

TCU at Oklahoma State (UPSET!!!) Yes I'm a TCU  fan for those who don't know, I feel great about this game

Toledo at Miami(FL) - Miami (FL) is going to be good this year

Duke at North Carolina - Duke narrowly wins it IMO

Louisiana Tech at South Carolina - OK Dereich, you think South Carolina will win this one at least, right?

Cincinnati at Navy - All of the military teams are great this year

Michigan at Purdue - I hate Michigan but you know how it goes

Syracuse at LSU - Easy pick I think, LSU wins

Mississippi State at Georgia - Georgia will win the SEC East and maybe even the SEC, yes I said it.

Penn State at Iowa - History and all but not from an Iowa that beat UNT 31-14

Florida at Kentucky - Florida isn't that great this year but it's Kentucky

Southern Illinois at Memphis - Memphis is good, dont know much about Southern Illinois

Notre Dame at Michigan State - Fire Brian Kelly please

Washington at Colorado - Pretty obvious one I think

UCLA at Stanford - RIP Stanford this week but UCLA is even more overrated than Stanford is

No way is Georgia beating Alabama in the SEC Championship game.
Well at least I got one thing right lol
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #596 on: December 02, 2017, 09:39:24 PM »

September 21

September 22

Virginia at Boise State - Boise State almost beat Washington State and would've if they knew how to manage time

Utah at Arizona

September 23

Texas A&M at Arkansas - Another hard one, after watching TCU - Arkansas I think A&M narrowly wins it

Alabama at Vanderbilt - Sorry ER Tongue Vanderbilt is good this year but not that good

TCU at Oklahoma State (UPSET!!!) Yes I'm a TCU  fan for those who don't know, I feel great about this game

Louisiana Tech at South Carolina - OK Dereich, you think South Carolina will win this one at least, right?

Mississippi State at Georgia - Georgia will win the SEC East and maybe even the SEC, yes I said it.

Southern Illinois at Memphis - Memphis is good, dont know much about Southern Illinois

UCLA at Stanford - RIP Stanford this week but UCLA is even more overrated than Stanford is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opT_JGssUVk
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #597 on: December 02, 2017, 10:44:23 PM »

September 21

September 22

Utah at Arizona

September 23

To be fair, I said Georgia wouldn't beat Alabama in an SEC Championship game. I never said they wouldn't beat Auburn...
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #598 on: December 03, 2017, 12:04:27 AM »

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400876108

Spreading the wealth / geography does not work. I certainly didn't watch last year.

Roll Tide
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #599 on: December 03, 2017, 12:05:24 AM »

So who do you have in your final four I have
1.Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia