Making what is "bad" not bad? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:55:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Making what is "bad" not bad? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Making what is "bad" not bad?  (Read 5535 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« on: August 28, 2014, 09:25:14 AM »

I think I've unlocked the secret of what liberals seem to be up to in America. They are trying to take things considered "bad" and make them seem okay.

Everyone makes excuses for their "bad" behaviors and decisions. It's a necessary part of pretending to be an adult. That isn't itself an excuse for anything, but I would like to point out that conservatives are arguably doing exactly the same by justifying for different "bad" behaviors that are of a scope much more detrimental to society.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I am enjoying your take on yourself doing a take on yourself, by the way. Do you ever surpass the speed limit while driving? Perhaps you do so frequently. God knows many people do (for the record, I do not most of the time). You might have noticed that, although you are breaking the law and putting yourself at greater risk of injury or death to yourself and others, the great majority of the time nothing of consequence happens at all. I am trying desperately to draw a parallel to that with drugs (as though they are all the same) and why perhaps sometimes laws restricting "bad" behavior are arbitrary or wrong but I guess I am so fried from my history of drug abuse that I can't think of anything. You're on top of stuff though, so I'm sure you can work it in somehow.

The level of association there is so insanely shallow that I think we should stop speaking in English because of its now apparent property of being utilized by halfwits. Aqqan, agjhir hoti giowj han poogae nooooajf, kjioee ZVOUIX RAIM!

We need to now ask the question: Does murder hurt people and society? Studies have found conclusively that probably. I haven't found any studies about whether wearing baggy pants and hoodies or smoking a joint after work is comparably detrimental to society as is murder, unfortunately. That might be because every scientist willing to carry out those essential studies was killed by stoned hoodlums, as we often hear in the news today. They are a blight.

Why do you think social changes occur? Convenience? A very large subset of the population won't take to figurative arms to plead for a change because they want to justify bad behavior for convenience. That's way too much work if it's not worth it. They do it because the consequences of keeping the status quo are unjustifiably bad. That is, the status quo is worse in its effects for punishing or limiting the "bad" behavior than is the actual bad effects of the "bad" behavior to begin with.

"Doing drugs" (an absurd generalisation akin to saying "eating food" as though all food is equally as nutritious or unhealthy) seems not to make an impact on the lives of the users and their families that approaches the impact of fines, prison, etc. To put it frankly, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Enough people have done the crime of "doing drugs" to realise that its punishment is ridiculous (depending on the drug, of course) that now society is beginning to look at the behavior differently.

To use the speeding example from earlier, what if speeding resulted in life imprisonment? Or if a speeding fine prevented you from landing a good job, or from traveling to America? What if just being in the car of someone who was speeding landed you in jail? People would be in an uproar. But only a tiny fringe would advocate abolishing any speed limit whatsoever. Most people would want either a rise in the allowable speed limit so that reasonable speeds were now legal and/or changes so that the punishments for speeding reflected the relative danger of the crime more accurately.

You, by the way, would not own a car. You would look out at the freeway and tremble, terrified of taking the effort to participate in the real world. You'd hark back to a day when there were only horses, and the greatest steed was that under Ronald Reagan. Back then you weren't even aware that people were terrified of AIDS, that hard drugs were rampant, violent crime was a plague on American cities, and rock bands were androgynous sex-worshiping hedonists. Ugh, that sounds bad! Society was only a simpler place because your awareness of its complex problems was nonexistent. Your positive associations are towards a childhood where you could legitimately feel happy because of youthful ignorance and the creepy way you attribute broad moods during time periods in your personal life to who the President of the United States was at the time. Your lack of critical thinking and empathy are seriously "bad" behaviors, Naso, and I hope you won't justify that like some whiny liberal.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies