COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 12:10:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 267816 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2020, 03:14:22 AM »
« edited: April 21, 2020, 03:17:32 AM by Olawakanda Forever »

Can we please consider naming the next thread

COVID-19 Megathread 5 : My Body, My Choice

?

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #176 on: April 21, 2020, 03:33:55 AM »

Can we please consider naming the next thread

COVID-19 Megathread 5 : My Body, My Choice

?

Does she think pregnancy is contagious?
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #177 on: April 21, 2020, 03:47:18 AM »

I think you should go with "Opening discussion orgies". Or should we keep that for the global thread?
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2020, 04:41:50 AM »

This is part of the reason why Sweden is not going on total lockdown. Hard lockdown just means it will come right back. Once Denmark and Norway come out of their hard lockdowns, they will start looking like Sweden. Until a vaccine is ready for widespread use, this is unavoidable.

But as usual, the English-language media will continue to bash Sweden as an insane, reckless, suicidal country.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #179 on: April 21, 2020, 05:23:32 AM »

Trump says the country should reopen, yet he wants to ban immigration completely? Once again, zero sense. Not surprised
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #180 on: April 21, 2020, 05:24:05 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/apr/20/studies-suggest-very-few-have-had-covid-19-without-symptoms

Only a tiny proportion of the global population – maybe as few as 2% or 3% – appear to have antibodies in the blood showing they have been infected with Covid-19, according to the World Health Organization, a finding that bodes ill for hopes that herd immunity will ease the exit from lockdown.

Some of you guys like to dunk on the WHO's politics, but listen to this research. This is cold hard epidemiology, which is what they excel at.

Santa Clara county had 1,094 confirmed cases of Covid-19 at the time the study was carried out, but antibody tests suggest that between 48,000 and 81,000 people had been infected by early April, most of whom did not develop symptoms.

But even those high figures mean that within the whole population of the county, only 3% have been infected and have antibodies to the virus. A study in the Netherlands of 7,000 blood donors also found that just 3% had antibodies.

What's key here is that if we leave lockdown now, we'll go right back to where we were in February. Only now, flight bans won't stop it spreading, it's already here, in every region of our nations and states.

The second wave could be pretty significant, at least as bad as the first wave. It's hard to forecast beyond that.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #181 on: April 21, 2020, 05:26:12 AM »

I think that the following states should begin opening up now(Phase two)
-Alaska (except for Anchorage)
-Hawaii
-Parts of East Washington
-Idaho (Except for Boise)
-Montana
-Vermont
-Maine (except for Portland)

By May 1st, many more States and the excluded cities should be able to safely begin opening up.
 That being said, some States are doing things way too prematurely. Some need a sharper decline in cases (Like Georgia) or significantly more testing (Like Colorado) before it is safe.

What's stopping someone from going from say, California/Washington/Oregon, and going to Montana and causing another outbreak though?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #182 on: April 21, 2020, 05:37:54 AM »

We need to start accepting the possibility that a vaccine won't be here until 2022.

I'm not saying that's going to happen and I'm not saying it's likely, but that is a very real possibility.

There will be a second outbreak / wave unless international borders stay closed. Even then it could happen anyway.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #183 on: April 21, 2020, 05:45:02 AM »

How would you rate ___’s overall response to the coronavirus outbreak?

Your state governor: 72% excellent/good, 26% not so good/poor
President Trump: 44% excellent/good, 54% not so good/poor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/most-rate-trumps-coronavirus-response-negatively-and-expect-crowds-will-be-unsafe-until-summer-post-u-md-poll-finds/2020/04/20/0b436dda-833b-11ea-a3eb-e9fc93160703_story.html
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #184 on: April 21, 2020, 06:42:34 AM »

We need to start accepting the possibility that a vaccine won't be here until 2022.

According to Professor Ian Frazer, there is distinct possibility of never having a vaccine at all:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020-04-17/coronavirus-vaccine-ian-frazer/12146616
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #185 on: April 21, 2020, 07:03:27 AM »

Does anyone else suspect we are probably overall improving now, but we'll regress now that restrictions are easing?

That’s what it feels like. We don’t have the right conditions to reopen successfully, but we’ll do it anyway to give it a try, and then a month later some states and cities will be back where New York was seven weeks ago.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #186 on: April 21, 2020, 07:14:02 AM »

Of all past epidemics/pandemics in world history, which do you all think comes as the closest analogy to what we are going through now?  
Probably somewhere between the Spanish Flu and the Asian Flu.
If I had to make a scale out of 5, Covid-19 would be in the middle.
5: Black Death/N.A Smallpox
4: Spanish Flu
3: Covid-19
2: Asian Flu/Polio
1. Swine Flu/Ebola

I don't think Ebola belongs on the same scale, as it has never caused a true pandemic, only localized epidemics (and it's ill-suited to cause one in most developed countries based on how it spreads).  Also, the gaps between these are not consistent.  The Black Death (which some believe may have actually been an Ebola-like illness) would be a 100+ if the Spanish Flu was a 4.  I think it's hard to comprehend an epidemic truly killing 1/3 to 1/2 of the population- because nothing like that has been seen since the Black Death (except smallpox in the New World).

Bro what? The Black Death was caused by Plague, a disease which is caused by the bacterium Yersinia Pestis. That's nothing like Ebola, which is a virus.

Some researchers have called that into question and believe that its spread, mortality, and symptoms were more in line with a viral hemorrhagic fever than the plague.

https://www.nature.com/scitable/blog/viruses101/could_the_black_death_actually/
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/black-death-was-caused-by-the-ebola-virus-9242867.html
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=117310&page=1
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #187 on: April 21, 2020, 07:58:09 AM »

The virus can spread *VERY* easily. Which makes it even more idiotic that Georgia is just straight up reopening everything this early.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #188 on: April 21, 2020, 08:07:51 AM »

This is part of the reason why Sweden is not going on total lockdown. Hard lockdown just means it will come right back. Once Denmark and Norway come out of their hard lockdowns, they will start looking like Sweden. Until a vaccine is ready for widespread use, this is unavoidable.

But as usual, the English-language media will continue to bash Sweden as an insane, reckless, suicidal country.

Speaking with a honest discussion, is our current goal to flatten the curve or to stop the virus?
I wish the governments were more honest with us, It may be possible to get the virus almost completely eliminated but then it will just pop back up.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #189 on: April 21, 2020, 08:09:11 AM »

Yeah I'm in total despair.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #190 on: April 21, 2020, 08:13:53 AM »

How so?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #191 on: April 21, 2020, 08:14:52 AM »

Immigration is shut down anyways, and likely would have been for at least a year in any case. The executive order basically does nothing except stop doctors from immigrating here when we need them the most. Good job Trump!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #192 on: April 21, 2020, 08:19:13 AM »

I really shouldn't have to explain.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #193 on: April 21, 2020, 08:21:11 AM »

Of course not, but if there is anything, in particular, that is paining you you can always let someone know.
Kung Fu Kenny
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #194 on: April 21, 2020, 08:23:42 AM »

Larry Hogan just broke the backboard on this dunk:

jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #195 on: April 21, 2020, 08:35:34 AM »

Larry Hogan just broke the backboard on this dunk:

I was just about to post this.

Not all Republicans are bad. Larry Hogan is proof.

There are very few Republicans I would vote for now but he is absolutely  one of them.

His vote totals in Baltimore City and County were like a cameo of the past especially for the climate of 2018.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #196 on: April 21, 2020, 08:58:40 AM »

Of course not, but if there is anything, in particular, that is paining you you can always let someone know.

You want to know what's causing it? I suggest you look at everything posted on this thread.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #197 on: April 21, 2020, 09:09:54 AM »

Patrick went on: "There are more important things than living, and that's saving this country for my children and my grandchildren and saving this country for all of us.

"I don't want to die, nobody wants to die but man we have got to take some risk and get back in the game and get this country back up and running," he told the Tucker Carlson Tonight host.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #198 on: April 21, 2020, 09:12:22 AM »

Patrick went on: "There are more important things than living, and that's saving this country for my children and my grandchildren and saving this country for all of us.

"I don't want to die, nobody wants to die but man we have got to take some risk and get back in the game and get this country back up and running," he told the Tucker Carlson Tonight host.

Isn't he also the one who said we may have to sacrifice a bunch of old people so young people can live
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #199 on: April 21, 2020, 10:00:08 AM »

These people are sociopaths.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies