Alaskan capital to be moved from Juneau to Anchorage? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:40:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Alaskan capital to be moved from Juneau to Anchorage? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alaskan capital to be moved from Juneau to Anchorage?  (Read 2179 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: January 05, 2008, 09:18:02 AM »

A move to Anchorage would fail a popular vote. As it has before. A move to some new location outside the panhandle *might* pass.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 08:09:07 AM »

They should move it to Barrow.  Or one of the Diomede Islands!
American Samoa should be added to the state and the capital put there.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 08:24:58 AM »

I support moving the capital to Wasilla. It was a bad decision to put the capital in Juneau. Its so unbelieveably isolated its laughable. I understand that people from outside Anchorage don't want more power to be brought to that city, but its illogical to have a small town in an extremely distant corner of the state be the capital. People's aversion to change when it comes to political boundaries never ceases to amaze me.

If we were serious about effecient geography, we'd give the archipeligo from Juneau to Ketchikan to British Columbia. But if we can't even change a capital within an existing state, then that'll never happen.
What about making the Panhandle its own state?

Heck, it would be winnable for Democrats in good years. Cheesy
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 07:24:07 AM »

I support moving the capital to Wasilla. It was a bad decision to put the capital in Juneau. Its so unbelieveably isolated its laughable. I understand that people from outside Anchorage don't want more power to be brought to that city, but its illogical to have a small town in an extremely distant corner of the state be the capital. People's aversion to change when it comes to political boundaries never ceases to amaze me.

If we were serious about effecient geography, we'd give the archipeligo from Juneau to Ketchikan to British Columbia. But if we can't even change a capital within an existing state, then that'll never happen.
What about making the Panhandle its own state?

Heck, it would be winnable for Democrats in good years. Cheesy

Not enough people. (According to the Constitution, all you need is 60,000, which they might have)
With ease baby, with ease. They could lose 20% of their population and still barely make it. Cheesy
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 04:29:33 PM »

While you're at it, move Minnesota's capital to Angle, Washington's to Point Roberts, and Maine's to Isle au Haut.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 04:54:09 PM »

While you're at it, move Minnesota's capital to Angle, Washington's to Point Roberts, and Maine's to Isle au Haut.
and Hawaii's to that leper colony county I forgot the name of.
No, I think Hawai'i's capital should be on Kaho'olawe.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 06:00:17 AM »

If the Northwest Angle had ferry and air services several times a day with over 30,000 inhabitants
It would have these things soon enough if it was the capital. Cheesy
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I know. I'm kidding. My only objection to Juneau is that it wasn't chosen to be the capital city in the beginning. The capital was only moved there during the Gold Rush. Alaska's true  capital is of course Sitka.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies