Pancho Villa stole my grandpa's grandpa's cow.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:22:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Pancho Villa stole my grandpa's grandpa's cow.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Pancho Villa stole my grandpa's grandpa's cow.  (Read 3509 times)
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2015, 12:28:21 PM »

My family pretty much grew up in poor and modest circumstances on both my dad and mom's sides. My dad's family moved up here from Florida in 1968 due to job reasons but my mom's family always lived here.  I don't think any of my grandparents finished school due to early as hell marriages.  But one of my grandmothers had a rather notorious classmate for a short time supposedly.

My grandmother told my mom once that back in the later 30's/40's when she was young supposedly Charles Manson stayed a short time in my area and went to her school. She said he was wild as hell and was rough to everyone and everything and got along well with one of my uncles. They got into trouble a lot and he wasn't there for very long.

There's a possibility that's true because he moved around a lot with his mom and they lived in shantys. It makes since.

Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 12:42:28 PM »

My maternal great grandmother's brother was a paratrooper in the battle of Crete during WWII.
My paternal great grandmother, after her husband's death, had the luck that her farm (above the city of Innsbruck in a shady valley, the land was poor and they were really poor people) was standing exactly at the planned route of the motorway from Innsbruck to Italy, so she could sell it to the state and received a gas station at a motorway exit instead, which she ranuntil she was well over 80.

I can't think of anything else, don't know if those two are interesting enough Tongue
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2015, 01:01:57 PM »

My great-great-great-great Grandfather ran for president 1824,1832 and 1844 and lost all 3 times.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2015, 01:09:12 PM »

My great-great-great-great Grandfather ran for president 1824,1832 and 1844 and lost all 3 times.

Ah, it must be Henry Clay. Too bad he was never elected. I have visited his house in Lexington. It certainly is in a beautiful neighborhood and street, one of the most picturesque residential streets in the US I think.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2015, 01:11:27 PM »

My great-great(-great?) grandfather burned down a town during the Russian Revolution killing some 10,000 people .
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2015, 09:09:32 PM »

A great (times several) grandfather of mine commanded one of the major armies of the civil war.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2015, 09:10:24 PM »

I believe one of my great grandparents was his running mate. Smiley
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2015, 10:51:34 PM »

Frelinghuysen?
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2015, 01:04:58 AM »

Two interesting stories:

Once upon a time, not that long ago, one of our relatives went on Broadway. She was moderately famous, but hated her last name for no apparent reason. Then again it's just a rumour.

Then there's this strange story:

Apparently, back in the '30s and '40s, there was this moderately crazy woodsman. As the story goes, he was basically a real life (as they say) Paul Bunyan. Not that he was crazy tall, but he was considerably strong. However he was also apparently intelligent, as he, apparently, aided Eisenhower and other generals during Operation Torch. I don't know the full details, but apparently he was pretty epic. One question I do have is why he hasn't been talked about so much. Maybe there's a story in that as well.

Going along on the WWII element, but on a much more sad note, I had a relative that apparently was in the Japanese Internment Camps.

While I'm at it, my last name apparently came from a village (lost in time, sadly) in the Netherlands.

So yeah, there's that Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2015, 09:39:46 AM »

Frelinghuysen?

No, it must be this guy. And since his father's middle name was "Dickinson," presumably because one of his ancestors was a Dickinson, that means that through the Dickinson family line (Emily Dickinson and Dickinson College), Badger and I are distant cousins. Man, Badger and I have a lot in common: we are both lawyers, flip back and forth between the parties as sort of centrist types, although quite liberal on most social issues, like to keep fit, and are Atlas mods. Tongue
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2015, 10:51:54 AM »

My mom's father was a paratrooper in WW2 who watched one of his comrades die because his comrade's parachute failed to deploy. Saw him hit the ground and everything.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2015, 11:33:10 AM »

Frelinghuysen?

No, it must be this guy. And since his father's middle name was "Dickinson," presumably because one of his ancestors was a Dickinson, that means that through the Dickinson family line (Emily Dickinson and Dickinson College), Badger and I are distant cousins. Man, Badger and I have a lot in common: we are both lawyers, flip back and forth between the parties as sort of centrist types, although quite liberal on most social issues, like to keep fit, and are Atlas mods. Tongue
I saw Sergeants grave last year when I went to Philly.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2015, 12:00:08 AM »

Actually I just realized I have a pretty impressive one. I had a GI grandfather who would sneak across enemy lines into Nazi Germany to hang out with some lonely farm women. I wonder if I have any aunts or uncles there.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies