"Universal healthcare now!" must be the Democratic motto in 2018 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:16:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Universal healthcare now!" must be the Democratic motto in 2018 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Universal healthcare now!" must be the Democratic motto in 2018  (Read 2957 times)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« on: May 07, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »

Unfortunately, even a rhetorical commitment to any universal healthcare policy would require that campaigning Democrats admit that Obama did not already achieve universal healthcare for the United States by signing the Affordable Care Act, a common and persistent piece of confusion that that party loyalists are increasingly reluctant to acknowledge.

This is false.

Democrats admitted even during the signing of the ACA that this was just a first step towards universal coverage. 
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 02:36:03 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I mean Democrats have been saying this for years, even Obama has said this time after time. The goal of the ACA was always to be the first step towards universal coverage. But it was never going to achieve that goal without changes down the line.

And I think you are underestimating the public. We have already seen in polls that the majority of Americans want to see the ACA do more, so it obvious that people understood that wasn't universal coverage for everyone.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 02:37:59 PM »

I think there will be a divide between support for a strong public option and full on single payer. I don't think the system or the country is ready for single payer. The ACA only really deals with individual market and single payer would be dealing with employer sponsored plans + individual market.

This is why I don't think single payer will ever happen in the US. Once suburban/middle-class Americans learn that a single payer may up end them from their plans, then the politicians will quickly jump ship.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 02:51:30 PM »

That because the vast majority of people don't know the details of single payer/medicare for all. Both single payer/medicare for all will call for a tax increase across the board. Granted the tax increase will replace the premium hikes, but I just don't know how you can sell that to suburban Americans.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 03:04:08 PM »

That because the vast majority of people don't know the details of single payer/medicare for all. Both single payer/medicare for all will call for a tax increase across the board. Granted the tax increase will replace the premium hikes, but I just don't know how you can sell that to suburban Americans.
I don't understand this type of thinking. Yes, taxes will be raised, but people will no longer have to pay for the vast majority of healthcare, and they are guaranteed care to the end of their lives. This is no different than Social Security or Medicare, and those are some of the most popular government programs in the United States.

It is not hard to understand, Americans hate taxes, even when they are getting a good deal out of the increase.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies