Why has the mountain west never been a Democratic stronghold? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:22:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why has the mountain west never been a Democratic stronghold? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why has the mountain west never been a Democratic stronghold?  (Read 3209 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: October 21, 2009, 04:18:17 PM »

It was in the '30's and, to an extent, the '40's. Though I suppose it depends what you mean by "an extended period of time".

(oh, and in 1896. lol).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 04:31:06 PM »

Though I suppose it depends what you mean by "an extended period of time".

I'd say that a generation - twenty five years, or five election cycles - would be sufficient. Roosevelt never made great inroads in the region, and usually won by only a few points in most states; he never dominated there the way he did in most of the rest of the country.

I don't know - Montana and Utah were always pretty strong, even towards the end of what might be thought of as the New Deal electoral period. But as far as longer term domination goes, we're probably dealing with (possibly indirect) economic factors to an extent. More interesting, to me at least, would be the big falls in Democratic support in the interior West at all levels since the 1970's or so.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies