S13: Amendment to Article IV, Sections 1-3 of the Southern Constitution (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:37:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S13: Amendment to Article IV, Sections 1-3 of the Southern Constitution (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S13: Amendment to Article IV, Sections 1-3 of the Southern Constitution  (Read 1765 times)
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« on: June 17, 2017, 08:55:48 PM »

Oops I goofed up. Is there any objection to replacing January, May, and September with March, July, and November to align with the gubernatorial elections?

Anyway, this is intended as a means of increasing southern participation by making the Chamber elections more impactful. More later.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 12:25:42 PM »

I have no issues with increasing the size of the Chamber, given that the South is large enough to support higher turnout and there is obviously a larger demand for candidates, but I am not sure how I feel about making the terms longer.

If someone can provide a good argument for why there should be fewer elections, I'm open to considering it.

Actually, my reasoning for decreasing the amount of elections was because I thought that it would allow the Chamber to do more. I was actually planning on introducing an amendment to the Rules or Constitution along with this that would have made it mandatory for the Chamber to go over and agree on the rules at the beginning of each session to avoid problems later.

I think a good allegory to our current situation would be the U.S. House. With elections happening every two years, they're basically campaigning/fundraising all the time. Making their terms longer would certainly help with that.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 05:45:26 PM »

Yeah, so diptheriadan stole my argument, but I'll reiterate that this would increase interest in the South by making the elections more impactful. Currently, the chamber has little time to get much done, increasing the time per session would add more of a way to get things done and I believe would create more interest.

A chamber size of 7 is seeming less unreasonable as we have so many candidates this time. Of course this wouldn't happen every time, which is why if there are 7 or fewer candidates the chamber would only contain 5 members like normal.

Anyway, is there unanimous consent for my amendment or do we need to vote on it?
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 06:53:11 PM »

No objection.

Just to be very clear, the amendment is adopted, am I correct?
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 07:34:11 PM »

If there are no objections, this would be the updated text of the amendment, given my amendment (because we have to have up to date text or something)
You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 10:48:39 AM »

May I interpret the triple quote of my post as an expression of enthusiastic agreement? Cheesy
Haha. Atlas is weird sometimes.

Anyway, I'm okay with making it 3 months as long as we change the governor's term as well.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 11:00:24 AM »

May I interpret the triple quote of my post as an expression of enthusiastic agreement? Cheesy
Haha. Atlas is weird sometimes.

Anyway, I'm okay with making it 3 months as long as we change the governor's term as well.

No issue with shorter terms for Governor from me Wink
neveRagaInP

Although really it wouldn't affect him unless he wins re-election.

I'll post the amendment text shortly so we can either agree to it out vote on it, and then vote on the final text.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 04:13:38 PM »

This would also be lowering the governor's term too though, so it's not just a term increase.

Here's the text of the amendment I'm proposing:
[/quote]
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 10:32:03 AM »

I'm not even a representative so I thank the members of this body for listening to my concerns.

We are here to represent you. It is important that we listen to and consider the concerns of those we should be speaking for when we discuss legislation.

Thank you for taking the time and interest in discussing this with us!
Wait we're actually supposed to be listening to the peasants?
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 12:01:54 PM »

So are we all in agreement on the amendment?
[/quote]
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 12:14:55 PM »

Aye
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 11:43:07 PM »

Does anyone want to add anything before a final vote? I mean I doubt it given that everyone seemed to be okay with the amendment.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 10:53:26 AM »

Aye
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 11:12:46 AM »

Allowing for a 24 hour extension to the vote.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 11:44:52 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2017, 11:51:23 AM by Acting Speaker JustinTimeCuber »

With 4 votes in favor, 0 opposed, and 1 not voting, this Amendment is hereby approved by the Chamber of Delegates. The Election Administrator shall determine when to hold a public referendum on the ratification of the Amendment based on the Constitution of the South.

[/quote]

Acting Speaker of the South
x
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies