International COVID-19 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 06:10:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  International COVID-19 Megathread (search mode)
Thread note
Please try to avoid posting unverified info/spreading unwarranted panic.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: International COVID-19 Megathread  (Read 452140 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: March 24, 2020, 03:33:51 PM »

So at which point will the human (not just the economic toll) of the lockdown become too much to bear? I mean there are all kinds of repercussions for mental health issues that 20-30% unemployment brings with it. It is rather worrying that there are so few voices that question the approach that has been chosen.

In 3-4 weeks, govts all over the world will have to reassess the situation. Sooner or later, restrictions must be lifted for the sake of the economy alone. Not to mention other problems in society that come from permanent lockdowns. Otherwise, there will be bankruptcies en masse and skyrocketing unemployment. I still have some hope by looking at South Korea as some sort of model, but we should be prepared for the worst. I'm afraid the numbers of infected people will start climbing again once we return the normalcy. This is probably the worst societal crisis of our lifetimes that causes an unimaginable moral dilemma. I'm afraid in a few weeks we as a society and the politicians will have to decide whether continue to go down an economic super-cliff with disastrous consequences, worse than the 2009 recession, or we try to isolate only seniors and chronically ill and try to get some mass immunity among healthy people under the age of ~60-65.

The major problem as we speak is a complete lack of immunity across the board against this new virus. And there are just 2 ways to achieve that mass immunity: Vaccine or recovered people. Since vaccine won't be available for at least 9 months (maybe 12-14 months, and the vulnerable people need to be "locked up" for that amount of time), we might actually to go with the latter. Not because we like it, but because the alternative is so horrendous.

That's what I've been saying for some days now and discussed with a number of people in private. All the lockdowns achieve is delaying the problem for a few weeks. Then we will face the same bad choice again: Keep everything shut down and basically ruin the economy, or try to shield the most vulnerable and let it run through for herd immunity. Neither is a particular good thing, but the long-term impact of an economic collapse and increased depression/mental problems could be even greater.

I think it can't be underestimated that the part that I bolded is a very good thing. Even a few weeks is a few more ventilators, a few more abilities to test different drugs before it gets bad for everyone, a few more ways that we improvise masks, a few more opportunities to motivate out-of-work folks who give back some way or another, a few more weeks of determining policies and seeing what red tape we can cut and guessing and trying all sorts of different improvisations that buy us more lives back. I generally agree that it's "just buying time", but in this case, time is a very, very good thing to have more of.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 10:13:23 PM »

Yes, the Lancet is one of the best medical journals in the world, perhaps one of the top three. That's an incredible endorsement of the study, although it's not clear how much data the peer reviewers who approved the articles were able to see. I concur that we'd want the European/American medical panels to look at the data before we should trust it entirely, but it's certainly very promising.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 08:32:01 PM »

Why are we not getting all these thrombosis cases in the UK then?

This might sound kind of conspirational, but to me it kind of feels as if AZ is somewhat purposely "purposely" portrayed in a negative light in the European perspective to negate UK's successes in vaccination (maybe to "counter" the argument that in the end, Brexit was a good thing since they did not rely on the EU vaccination distribution mechanism).
It just seems to me as if this pattern was consistent with the wording of the B1.1.7 mutation, which most news outlets and politicians call the "British mutation" (well, according to that logic, Covid-19 should be called the "Chinese virus").

There's nothing conspiratorial about that; for an outsider without skin in the game, that's sure what it feels like to me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies