Most likely Democratic Nominee to succeed President Obama in 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:11:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most likely Democratic Nominee to succeed President Obama in 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Most likely Democratic Nominee to succeed President Obama in 2016?  (Read 16981 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 01, 2010, 12:57:24 PM »

Assume Obama is relected. Go.

I say a woman other than Clinton. Kolbuchar?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 01:04:19 PM »

I'd say New York Governor Andrew Cuomo. BTW, you don't think Hillary is going to run in 2016?
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 01:08:58 PM »

I'd say New York Governor Andrew Cuomo. BTW, you don't think Hillary is going to run in 2016?

She herself said she wouldn't. (I'm positive that she might change her mind though)

I too say Cuomo would probably be a likely candidate.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 01:09:27 PM »

Senator Mark Warner of Virginia.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 01:15:56 PM »

No. His time has passed.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 01:17:18 PM »

I respectfully disagree.  He'll be 62 on election day, which is not too old to run.  He will easily win Southern and Midwestern primaries, and he has a strong record to run on.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 01:20:46 PM »

I respectfully disagree.  He'll be 62 on election day, which is not too old to run.  He will easily win Southern and Midwestern primaries, and he has a strong record to run on.

I respectfully disagree with you on this topic. I think that Warner's lack of charisma could be a real liability for him and I'm not sure he'd be able (or willing) to raise the huge amounts of money needed nowadays to run a decent nationwide campaign.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 01:57:25 PM »

Hillary is indisputably the most likely Democratic nominee in 2016.  No one in the party has higher approval including Obama.  Her stature and presidential-ityvis higher after this job.  But if Afghanistan turns into Vietnam she could be hurt.  Progressive Democrats will push for a candidate to correct for what may still be viewed a Obama's flaws.  Who knows what their issues will be in 2016 and whether Franken, Feingold or Grayson could fashion that into a winning message.  But identity politics are difficult to overestimate and women will be geared up.  Even if Hillary doesn't run, a woman will end up one of the stronger candidates.

What are the odds (in your opinion) that she'll run in 2016?
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 04:04:41 PM »

Cuomo, Sestak, and Gillibrand seem to me as the most likely. I don't think Biden or Hillary will run when it comes down to it.
JerryBrown2010
KyleGordon2016
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.68, S: -9.30

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 05:39:33 PM »

Gillibrand and Cuomo and maybe Hillary
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 06:04:24 PM »

Schweitzer, Cuomo, Beau Biden. Hillary is so 2008.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 06:06:32 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2010, 07:06:22 PM by HawkishDemocrat »

I think 2016 is a little too early for Beau Biden, since his dad will (probably) get ready to leave the VP slot in 2016 and he will probably ned a little more time to distance himself from his dad's negative qualities (the gaffes, etc.). I agree with you about everything else you said, though.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 07:53:19 PM »

I think 2016 is a little too early for Beau Biden, since his dad will (probably) get ready to leave the VP slot in 2016 and he will probably ned a little more time to distance himself from his dad's negative qualities (the gaffes, etc.). I agree with you about everything else you said, though.
And 2008 wasn't a little too early for Barack Obama?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 08:39:37 PM »

Schweitzer or Klobuchar, I hope.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 08:50:47 PM »

Warner or Schweitzer
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 09:07:23 PM »

If a Democrat had to win in 2016, I'd want it to be Schweitzer.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 09:09:23 PM »

Could be Brian Schweitzer or possibly Andrew Cuomo.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 10:21:51 PM »

Hillary. She has proven herself to be a team player with Obama, and she will have the most political experience out of the possible candidates most likely.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 10:37:35 PM »

Hillary. She has proven herself to be a team player with Obama, and she will have the most political experience out of the possible candidates most likely.

Will she run, though? As for her being a team player, that's only to improve her image and to possibly further her political ambitions. As for her having the most political experience, I beg to differ. No counting her years as First Lady (where, other than screwing up healthcare reform, she didn't really do much that other First Ladies didn't do), Hillary would have 15 years of experience (8 Senate+8 Sec. of State) in 2016. Meanwhile, Andrew Cuomo (another potential candidate) would have 18 years of experience (4 as Cabinet undersecretary + 4 as Cabinet Secretary + 4 as Attorney General + 6 as Governor), which is more than Hillary's 16 years. Thus your claim about Hillary being the most experienced potential candidate in 2016 is automatically proven false.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 10:43:19 PM »

Will she run, though? As for her being a team player, that's only to improve her image and to possibly further her political ambitions. As for her having the most political experience, I beg to differ. No counting her years as First Lady (where, other than screwing up healthcare reform, she didn't really do much that other First Ladies didn't do), Hillary would have 15 years of experience (8 Senate+8 Sec. of State) in 2016. Meanwhile, Andrew Cuomo (another potential candidate) would have 18 years of experience (4 as Cabinet undersecretary + 4 as Cabinet Secretary + 4 as Attorney General + 6 as Governor), which is more than Hillary's 16 years. Thus your claim about Hillary being the most experienced potential candidate in 2016 is automatically proven false.

um, lol?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 10:48:50 PM »

um, lol?

lol about what? Eveyrthing I wrote is perfectly reasonable.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2010, 10:51:51 PM »

um, lol?

The idea that experience is somehow measured simply in years of holding ofice. Not to mention, you completly ignored her time as First Lady.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2010, 11:01:32 PM »

um, lol?

The idea that experience is somehow measured simply in years of holding ofice. Not to mention, you completly ignored her time as First Lady.

Remind me again how her being first lady gave her political experience? The only non-ceremonial thing she did as First Lady is screw up healthcare reform. BTW, are you messing with me?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2010, 11:06:04 PM »

um, lol?

Remind me again how her being first lady gave her political experience? The only non-ceremonial thing she did as First Lady is screw up healthcare reform. BTW, are you messing with me?

LOl. Am I messing withyou? You are messing withthis entire forum.

I'd think being married to the President would give you a bit more insight into how to do the job than would bing Attrone General or Governor of New York.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2010, 11:12:05 PM »

um, lol?

LOl. Am I messing withyou? You are messing withthis entire forum.

I'd think being married to the President would give you a bit more insight into how to do the job than would bing Attrone General or Governor of New York.

In that case, go ahead and travel to Michigan, Georgia, California, and Texas and ask Betty Ford, Rosalynn Carter, Nancy Reagan, Barbara Bush, and Laura Bush about how much insight they got on how to do the job of President. Might as well ask Michelel Obama about that while you're on it, if you are ever able to meet her.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies