Is Moran Vulnerable in 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 10:29:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is Moran Vulnerable in 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Moran Vulnerable in 2016?  (Read 541 times)
KCDem

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 02, 2014, 11:31:34 PM »

Given the impeding statewide Democratic sweep in Kansas (even Huelskamp is in serious danger of losing Shocked), who thinks that Jerry Moran could be in serious danger in two years? There may be another "independent" Overland Park businessman who decides to get in the race. Or maybe Kansans love the administration of Paul Davis so much that they decide to switch en-masse to the Democratic party. Who do you think would be the best candidate to spank Moran in '16?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 11:33:15 PM »

I guess someone further-right could sweep to victory as Americans embrace the Tea Party en masse. Maybe Milton Wolf?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 11:34:04 PM »

Nah. Moran will learn the lessons of Pat Roberts.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 11:34:17 PM »

He won't lose in 2016, congressional/statewide races are only close because of the Brownback/Roberts duo ruining Republican chances in Kansas.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 12:13:44 AM »

No. Roberts would be fine if Taylor had never dropped out, although his margin of victory wouldn't be anything to brag about. Moran should be O.K., unless there's a 'Orman jr.' lurking somewhere.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 12:15:03 AM »

Moran is not Roberts, so at worst his situation is a 5 point difference or something.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 12:20:37 AM »

As much as I disagree with him, Jerry Moran actually cares about Kansas and his constituents, and actually lives in the state. A friend of mine interned for Moran in his DC office and to her surprise (!) he went home most weekends. He's in little to no danger of being primaried and absolutely no danger of losing the general.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 08:21:30 AM »

The only question is whether or not Moran gets 70% or not again. I hope if Orman loses, he runs again maybe as a Democrat so Moran can put his political career in a shallow grave.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 09:47:56 AM »

He isn't really in danger, though anything is possible this far out.

Unless Brownback gets re-elected and screws things up, or Davis somehow ushers in a new era of wealth and prosperity the political environment in Kansas 2 years from now won't be nearly as favorable to the Democrats as it is this year.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 01:45:28 PM »

Not at all.

For one, there will be a Presidential race, and as wonderful as Clinton may be, she is still going to lose Kansas by double-digits.

Moran is very popular in the state - I don't know what polling has shown his numbers at, and while I'm sure they have been dragged down now due to Robert's and Brownback's unpopularity, he should have no problem bringing them back up in 2016. He is a good campaigner. I've ran into plenty of Democrats who have great respect for him - there just isn't the strong desire by the left to kick him out.

Democrats don't have a candidate who could beat him - they really didn't have someone to run against Roberts. They are entirely benefiting from the fact that Orman is running as an Independent - he would be down outside of the margin of error if he had a (D) next to his name.

Moran's biggest threat will be the primary, as Wolf is preparing to run again, but if Wolf couldn't take down Roberts, I highly doubt he could take down Moran.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies