National Liberal Coalition Policy Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:14:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  National Liberal Coalition Policy Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: National Liberal Coalition Policy Discussion  (Read 5958 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« on: August 29, 2007, 09:35:14 AM »

Although I'm not a member of the NLC, if I may, I would like to comment on the PR-STV legislation and on the forum affairs agenda generally as I have something of an interest in both.

Some here have lamented the fact that forum affairs matters are currently taking up the Senate's time. I would underline to them that in the previous Presidential election, such reform was the major campaign issue of the Wixted/Jas ticket; that on every poll I can remember in Atlasia, forum affairs issues are those which most concern the population; and that given the context within which Atlasia operates, forum affairs matters produce the most tangible effects of any form of legislation.

I recall all to well when the Senate chamber was clogged up with free trade bills, the issues before the Senate change on a week by week and a month by month basis. Just because a cluster of related issue bills appear at any one time, doesn't mean they are not important in their own right.

On PR-STV specifically, to those who have stated that the current Senate discussion is proving unproductive, I would disagree. Positions are becoming more clear and achieving consensus in Atlasia has always been difficult. I firmly believe progress is being made and that a solution is possible. What's more I'm not going to give up on the reforms because there has been some difficulty. I believe the reforms are worthwhile (particularly the PR-STV legislation) and will produce tangible benefits for Atlasia as outlined when I first introduced the matter and highlighted here. In simple terms these include:
More Competitive Elections;
More Voter Choice;
Possible Return of Regular Party Primaries;
Ends the Need for Re-Districting;
Retains Regional Representation;
Fewer 'Wasted' Votes

I am not going to give up on the reforms simply because of a disagreement over vacancy filling. There are many aspiring Atlasian politicians within the NLC, I would advise them that they should not give up when they encounter the sort of difficulties the PR-STV bill has hit. Worthwhile change is not easy. Trying to get through any piece of legislation through the Atlasian Senate is no mean achievement, trying to do so by achieving a consensus all the more so (especially the current 20th Senate) - but I believe it can be done, and I will continue to work and hope that it will be done.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies