Democrats and liberals in general need to stop with civility politics (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:26:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Democrats and liberals in general need to stop with civility politics (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats and liberals in general need to stop with civility politics  (Read 3679 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: July 26, 2017, 10:16:15 PM »

Sure, but one last point: Bill Clinton increased his vote margin in 1996 while Barack Obama's was cut in half in 2012.

The state of the economy and the fact that Obama took office even as the country was still losing jobs certainly hurt him, as well as the backlash that swept rabid obstructionist Republicans in the House who, seeing as a Democrat was now in the White House, reverted to their usual "there is no money to do anything and we must cut, cut cut," which didn't exactly help the recovery or the perception of the current administration. Obama's focus on healthcare also didn't seem appropriate for the time, either.

Point being that I think Obama's smaller margin in 2012 definitely makes sense when you consider the environment he ran in.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 10:34:24 PM »

The economy had improved by 1996 much more than it had in 2012, but Clinton faced the exact same obstruction: not a single vote for either his deficit cutting budget or for his health care reform proposal.  The same argument you mentioned against Obamacare was also raised in 1994: this isn't the time.  The only difference then is that a large number of Republicans voted for NAFTA, which, although it was an initiative of George H W Bush, was modified by and passed under Bill Clinton.

Still, while the 90s was a good time for reform, even I think 2009-2010 was just the wrong time for that. In fact, I'd say that it is always the wrong time for the Affordable Care Act in particular. If we were going to blow that much political capital and suffer a 6 year backlash, we should have gone wild and not settled. I'd like to think Obama could have bought off the necessary Senators if he really wanted it.

Either way, I stand by what I said. I think Obama's two elections should probably even get their own threads, as there is a lot to talk about. He definitely seemed to accelerate a number of trends, some which worked against him and the Democratic Party quite a bit.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies