Active duty military denied right to vote in Senate race in FL (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:14:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Active duty military denied right to vote in Senate race in FL (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Active duty military denied right to vote in Senate race in FL  (Read 14959 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: October 22, 2004, 08:24:14 PM »

In my system, an eligable voter would have to own 1/5 of an acre of land.

And by the way, that was for one branch of state legislatures. Not voting in general, which would be different.

In my system, eligible voters would have to have a PhD from a real university. Democratic landslide.

That would pretty much wipe out the electorate in one generation.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 08:27:37 PM »

In my ideal system, only intelligent people would be allowed to vote. Republican landslide, 100%.

So PhDs aren't intelligent?

Do you actually know many Ph D's?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 08:37:18 PM »

In my ideal system, only intelligent people would be allowed to vote. Republican landslide, 100%.

Yes, I do.

And you wouls actually want them to be the entire electorate.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 08:37:55 PM »

Yes, I do.

And you would actually want them to be the entire electorate.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 08:50:41 PM »

Yes, I do.

It was a response to Phillips 1/5 of an acre comments. Having a PhD is more of an accomplishment than owning 1/5 of an acre in some desert.

It depends how they got that land.  If someone working for thirty years to buy it, it would be a greater "accomplishment" than someone who's family gives him a lot of money to pursue some minor field.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 09:01:11 PM »

Yes, I do.

It was a response to Phillips 1/5 of an acre comments. Having a PhD is more of an accomplishment than owning 1/5 of an acre in some desert.

It depends how they got that land.  If someone working for thirty years to buy it, it would be a greater "accomplishment" than someone who's family gives him a lot of money to pursue some minor field.

It can go the other way too.  If someone works his butt off for years to get his doctorate in some major field, that would be a greater accomplishment than someone who inherited loads of money and/or land from wealthy parents.

I agree with both of you (and don't agree with Philip).  However, I do not feel that we should be praising people for a string of post nominal initials after their names (and while it's not a PH D, I do have a string of professional credentials after mine).  We put too much emphasis on it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies