George Will leaves GOP (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:05:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  George Will leaves GOP (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: George Will leaves GOP  (Read 837 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

« on: June 28, 2016, 10:06:47 PM »

Unfortunately, he's exacerbating the problem.

We have a problem with Trump and his followers having too much sway in the party, so we leave and give them a bigger slice of the pie?

A lot of Trump supporters weren't even Republicans until relatively recently (think Santender), and I'll be damned if I just fork over a party I was in first.

You hit the nail on the head here. One can do more fixing the GOP from the inside than there is by ditching the party and essentially allowing Trumpists to take it over.

Ditto.  When conservatives say that they're going to leave the GOP, I ask myself, "What's their other option?".

Will has always been a Republican neocon; he opposed Nixon during Watergate and was a big fan of Sam Nunn and Henry Jackson, but I can't see him becoming a Democrat, even if a candidate as moderate as the 1976 Jimmy Carter were nominated.  You've got to be part of a political party if you want to move the political needle.  Even if you leave public office, this is true.  Would Jim DeMint have ANY influence if he were an Independent?

Will is not a politician. Journalists/pundits can have as much impact -probably, more impact - if they are independent of political parties.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies