FIFA 2014 World Cup - Official Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 02:03:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  FIFA 2014 World Cup - Official Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FIFA 2014 World Cup - Official Discussion Thread  (Read 116488 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: June 16, 2014, 07:53:07 PM »

Just need a draw against Portugal and we're likely through

Easier said than done. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see the US advance than Portugal, but that wasn't a convincing performance tonight. Ghana screwed up too many scoring opportunities.

To be fair, the US played fairly disciplined defense considering how much Ghana had the possession of the ball.  The US kept Ghana from attack through the middle which really helped and limited their quality shots.  Plus, the US has a quality goalkeeper.  It's not just blind luck that Ghana only scored one goal.

I think the better argument is that we were lucky to score two goals, considering the US seemed to never have possession.

But, we'll see how this plays out.  I think the US matches up better against Portugal. 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 10:36:24 PM »

If you're an American, I can understand rooting for a team besides the US, in addition to rooting for the US.  I can forgive rooting for a team with a better history and tradition, who is more fun to watch as a soccer aficionado, if you see the team as more a soccer club than a representative of America.  I can forgive a first or second generation Chicano rooting for Mexico or an Italian American rooting for Italy.

But, an American rooting against America, that's wrong.  I think Merle Haggard said it best, "if you don't love it, leave it."  Do you guys also root against your high school football team and your sister's softball team?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 10:09:29 PM »

I'm not a soccer player, but I think people sometimes underestimate the emotion of a sport, especially one that involves physical contact.  I'm a super gentle, calm person, but playing pickup basketball I've gotten in a few scuffles over the years.  Granted, I've never bitten anyone.  But, when someone is kicking you or pushing you, it can make you lose your temper, especially in the heat of a competition. 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 01:06:50 PM »

The team is full of selfish egotists

Like about 2/3 of this tournament's teams.

To be fair, they probably want the bonus money in cash so they can cheat on their taxes more easily.  Think of it as doing a favor for their accountants.

And, when you mix African countries and international soccer, that's so ripe for corruption and people cheating the players out of their bonus somehow.  That was their main concern, right?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies