Is the Republican's problem that they're too Southern? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 09:28:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is the Republican's problem that they're too Southern? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is the Republican's problem that they're too Southern?  (Read 18515 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: July 28, 2014, 09:01:55 AM »

Yes, that's part of it. This might sound stupid, but I think part of the Republicans' problem is that they have too many influential figures with southern accents. That's a turn-off for the rest of the country.

As George Voinovich once said, "It's the Southerners. They get on TV and go 'errrr, errrrr.' People hear them and say, 'These people, they're Southerners. The party's being taken over by Southerners. What the hell they got to do with Ohio?' "

Regions with southern culture don't exist exclusively in the South and there are parts of the South that aren't really southern. More former than the latter.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:59:01 PM »

Yes, that's part of it. This might sound stupid, but I think part of the Republicans' problem is that they have too many influential figures with southern accents. That's a turn-off for the rest of the country.

As George Voinovich once said, "It's the Southerners. They get on TV and go 'errrr, errrrr.' People hear them and say, 'These people, they're Southerners. The party's being taken over by Southerners. What the hell they got to do with Ohio?' "

Regions with southern culture don't exist exclusively in the South and there are parts of the South that aren't really southern. More former than the latter.

I'm just curious, what non-southern areas have cultures that are southern? Maybe rural Missouri, though I can't figure out anything else. I can see areas in the south that don't have a southern culture (Northern Virginia, Southeast Florida) however.

Definitely the southern Midwest. The areas that are just on the other side of the Ohio from the South. Rural Indiana, Ohio and Illinois. Rural Pennsylvania just seems to be "really conservative".
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 09:04:43 AM »

I actually thought Badger had a red avatar for a while and that Joe had a blue one. I think Joe is liberal-leaning but I am not sure about Badger.

And oh. Do you think that 8 years ago, there could have been a thread titled
"Is the Democrats' problem that they're to Urban?"
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 08:50:47 PM »

I think there is some truth to what Voinovich said.  To be honest when I hear a southern accent I can't help but find it really funny.  It's kind of hard to take someone seriously when they say "y'all".  I also knew southerners when I lived in the Northeast who would mask their accent because they felt discriminated in the job market if they spoke with their own accent.

So, that and playing a banjo basically kills your chances?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies