Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:46:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)  (Read 132294 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: September 26, 2014, 06:35:37 PM »

It was July 15, 2007 at the old Shea Stadium.  The game was against the Cincinnati Reds.  I was working at a computer camp at Rosemont College near Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania.

Bushie, would you say you have a photographic memory?  Or, at least, do you have a very good memory for dates?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 07:04:20 PM »

It was July 15, 2007 at the old Shea Stadium.  The game was against the Cincinnati Reds.  I was working at a computer camp at Rosemont College near Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania.

Bushie, would you say you have a photographic memory?  Or, at least, do you have a very good memory for dates?

I am excellent with dates.  I can remember exact dates from my childhood and even before I was born.  I can even name what day of the week the event happened.  I have a virtual calendar in my head so without looking at a real calendar, I know what day a particular date fell on or will fall on.

Interesting.  Do you remember what date the 1996 election fell on?  How about what time the election was called for Clinton?  Do you remember what you had for dinner or what your dad was wearing at the time?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 12:00:33 PM »

Bushie,

Please listen to me, when I say see a psychiatrist.

I tried early on in the history of the Update, I believe, but he doesn't seem to think he needs one and may be worried about the costs.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 02:00:26 PM »

Here's a possible "job" that'd work well for Bushie. Medical companies often do studies and pay pretty well for them, you can make over $1000 for something that just requires a 72-96 hour on-site stay and after that about 4-5 once a week or every two week checkups. I see them advertised all the time in alternative publications. The only reason I haven't signed up for one is they don't work well with someone who's employed full time and no doubt mostly rely on unemployed people who have infinite free time, but as this is Bushie....plus with all his medical problems he'd be a goldmine.

It's a bit more complicated than that... ethical precepts say that researchers should discourage participants who need the money from participating in the studies, because it basically amounts to coercion.  We want to make sure all of our human participants are participating voluntarily!  That's some of why there are (unofficial) caps on how much we can renumerate people for participation in human studies.  For studies like the ones I run, where participants are essentially not under any risk of negative consequences, we usually pay about $10/hour for participating; it would be seen as uncouth to offer much more.

Hearing this stuff makes me happy to live in a Wal-Mart blackhole. I used to make a big deal out of boycotting Wal-Mart, but that's kind of pointless now, since it's not convenient for me to shop there anyway: http://www.walmart.com/store/finder?location=55404

Note not just the lack in Minneapolis, but that area to the west of it too. That area is full of people who 1-don't shop at Wal-Mart and 2-probably consider shopping at Wal-Mart beneath them, even if Republicans. This is especially noticable in the immediate SW suburbs, most notably Edina and St. Louis Park, which have a very rich feel to them, but not in trashy giant McMansion way. Think tons of luxury apartments and expensive jewelry and fashion stores. Rich Democrat land basically, probably the people most likely to find Wal-Mart repulsive.

A MN-03 native checking in to confirm... rich Democrats (and, heck, rich moderates and rich conservatives... note that the Walmart dead zone goes out to Medina and the shores of Lake Minnetonka!) are too good for that Walmart nonsense!  We have Target for all of our big-box store needs.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 08:25:15 PM »

Smash lives on Long Island.  His mind is just boggling that people pay such cheap rent.  Perhaps $300/month is a bit low, but you could, say, find a perfectly adequate 1br in Tulsa for $500/month, and probably even cheaper if you felt like clicking around some more.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 09:51:20 PM »

Smash lives on Long Island.  His mind is just boggling that people pay such cheap rent.  Perhaps $300/month is a bit low, but you could, say, find a perfectly adequate 1br in Tulsa for $500/month, and probably even cheaper if you felt like clicking around some more.
I'd argue against trying to discern what is perfectly adequate from a craiglist ad, especially in a city with which (I presume) you are not familiar. Super low rent apartments anywhere are going to have some serious safety issues. $300/mo is guaranteed to be New Jack City. I'm sure somebody somewhere knows the exception to the rule, but, by and large, people making very low wages don't get to live solo. Still, a respectable 3 br can be had in low cost Middle America for $1000/mo, which yields the same result. And then, of course, all the bills get to be split as well. Other than living with the parents forever, it's really the only option for someone like Bushie. Also, the prideful "I won't take less than $11/hour" attitude is exactly why Bushie will never hold a job more than few weeks ever.

Yeah, I definitely don't know anything about the neighborhoods of Tulsa... this seems to be between downtown and the University of Tulsa, but, eh.  I wasn't able to find any ads on padmapper for apartments less than $300/month.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies