Donald Trump Goes All In On Slashing Legal Immigration (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:35:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Donald Trump Goes All In On Slashing Legal Immigration (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Donald Trump Goes All In On Slashing Legal Immigration  (Read 5370 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« on: August 02, 2017, 12:42:43 PM »

Thank God.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 02:01:12 PM »

Make America Whole Again? That was Hillary's line.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 08:32:56 PM »

We should give the old hag back to the French. Trade her in for a younger, blonder model.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 09:22:17 PM »

Most immigrants come on family visas. It is a fact that these immigrants are an economic drain on the system. If they assimilated properly, it might be an acceptable investment, but even with family in the country, they generally assimilate poorly.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 10:02:41 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2017, 10:05:02 PM by Santander »

Unskilled? Unskilled?

You do realize that most legal immigrants are skilled, right?
No, they're not. Most come on unskilled family visas. The primary skilled immigrant visas are EB-1 (very rare, for people like pro athletes, models, etc.), EB-2 and EB-3, which are subject to strict nationality quotas, have much lower quotas in general than family-based immigrant visas, and generally only sponsor people who are already living in the US under guest worker status like L-1. The other common way of immigration to enter the US is via marriage, which is also an unskilled route.

I'm a twice-immigrant. My parents are thrice-immigrants. Family-based immigration beyond spouse and minor children is the worst possible type of immigration. Citizenship is the greatest gift a parent can pass to a child, and devaluing that gift is extremely offensive.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 10:15:55 PM »

I think the more important thing is, immigrants from Latin America aren't doing anything native born Americans (which includes many many non-White native born Americans) couldn't also do.

This is absolutely untrue. Just the other day, some Hispanic immigrant family came to my door offering to pull weeds and trim bushes on our lawn. No one in my white family wanted to do it, and it was for a fair price, so we doled out the money. What does that say about American work ethic? Very lazy!

It says your family is a bunch of privileged pieces of crap that want use desperately poor people to do your dirty work for low wages. If it was such a "fair wage" then why didn't anyone in your household agree to do it for that price?

There's nothing wrong with paying people to do your dirty work, lol. That's how a market economy works. I pay to get my house cleaned and laundry done.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 10:19:41 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2017, 10:22:44 PM by Santander »

You obviously don't realize it, but immigrants by and large pay higher taxes on the same income than non-immigrants do. Quite a few of the various credits, including the child tax credit, require citizenship, not just legal residency, to claim.

Actually, that is not true. Resident aliens (i.e. green card holders, i.e. legal immigrants) can claim the Child Tax Credit and other tax credits and benefits reserved for Americans. By the US government's legal definition of the term "immigrant", only people with green cards are immigrant aliens. All other foreigners are non-resident aliens.

When we talk about legal immigrants here, we should make sure to talk about only resident aliens, not non-resident aliens. Non-resident aliens are, legally speaking, just visitors.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 10:26:14 PM »

The diversity lottery is actually one of the most innovative and interesting immigration programs and I fully support keeping it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies