Terry Shiavo Poll (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 09:20:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Terry Shiavo Poll (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Terry Shiavo be kept alive or let die?
(D) Keep her alive

(D) Let her die

(R) Keep her alive

(R) Let her die

(I/O) Keep her alive

(I/O) Let her die

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Author Topic: Terry Shiavo Poll  (Read 21974 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« on: March 22, 2005, 01:20:59 AM »

Name one violation of states' rights I support.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 02:26:11 AM »

The pot law violated Federal statutes on narcotics!

So a simple federal law is all that it takes to ignore state's rights? I say we pass a simple federal law so that every state has to give their electors to the popular vote winner.

Yes, Federal statute is superior to state statute.  Its called the Supremecy Doctrine.  The opposing doctrine is the Doctrine of Nullification, which has been rejected and discredited for almost 200 years.

Except it is not a constitutional statute, and even if it was, shouldn't have existed.

States' rights can just be a call for repeal of federal law, which conservatives are not doing.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 02:36:51 AM »

No, it is a regulation of intrastate commerce.

Under your interpretation, there's no need for any of the provisions of the Constitution allowing for federal bankruptcy laws, and currency.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 04:47:14 AM »

Actually, its interstate and for that matter international commerce.  I make sme Cocaine in Colombia, bring it across the border in California, and sell it at a strip club in Nevada.  It sis absolutely interstate commerce, and the only way you could think this makes bankruptcy or currency provisions of the Constitution irrelevant is if you don't understand 1) My position 2) The nature of commerce.

So bankruptcy does not affect interstate commerce? Coining money does not have a substantial affect on interstate commerce?

The "trade among the states" clause was intended to allow Congress to circumvent partial measures put in place by state legislatures, and provide for the general health of the economy. It was not until FDR that the Supreme Court started ruling anything that remotely affects commerce can be controlled by the federal government.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies