Democratic National Convention **live commentary thread** (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:02:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic National Convention **live commentary thread** (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democratic National Convention **live commentary thread**  (Read 47427 times)
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« on: July 25, 2016, 08:59:48 PM »

I thought his speech was alright. But the annoying chanter protestor folks got old fast. Points to Booker for managing to put up with it without getting flustered.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 10:17:28 PM »

This is an unequivocal endorsement. Bernie is doing great, but what about his supporters?

I'll be voting for Clinton. And been poking other Bernie folks I know to do the same.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 11:34:59 AM »

They really have to be careful with this vote. If they halt it right away, the busters will feel like they are being silenced. If they let it go too far/all the way to the end, the busters will probably be so fired up that they will boo the final result. They should only let Bernie stop the tallying and nominate Hillary if the tone of the hall indicates it will go over generally well. I am not really looking forward to this moment because this will be the raucous ***holes last stand, so they are going to make a scene of it.

Bernie Sanders said in his speech: "I look forward to your votes during the roll call tomorrow!" So while he may/may not cut off the last few states, they're not going to halt it early on.

IIRC, In 2008 a bunch of states ceded their votes to New York, which then had Hillary do her "vote by acclamation" bit. Since Vermont is so late in the alphabet, I suppose you can let it get to one state short of clinching, then have all the other states cede to Vermont (at this point, the most die-hard of the die-hards would see that if Bernie really really wanted to, he could use all those ceded votes to try to overthrow the Clinton candidacy) and then have him push for vote by acclamation. I don't know if it's the best way to do it, but if they really want to have Bernie do it, that's probably the best way I can think of.

I was under the impression that in 2008 it wasn't 'ceding' votes to the state in question, but ceding the floor instead to allow different states to have the delegate votes for that state and only that state at that moment counted, but the net result was it brought the situation to Clinton so she could move for acclimation. It makes no sense that a state would be handing over their delegate votes to another state's delegates to use as they see fit.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 04:41:07 PM »

CNN is tracking the numbers here: http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2016/politics/democratic-convention-delegate-count/
izixs
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 05:43:38 PM »

I suspect Sanders wants to be there at the end to congratulate Clinton.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies