Castle's Door is Open
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:01:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Castle's Door is Open
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Castle's Door is Open  (Read 3790 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 12:10:16 PM »

Delaware, like most small states, like Senators that can accumulate tons of seniority, but also is willing to toss out long term ones if they get too old. See Biden, or Roth for an example of both cases.

Neither exactly works for Castle.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 12:15:40 PM »

Delaware, like most small states, like Senators that can accumulate tons of seniority, but also is willing to toss out long term ones if they get too old. See Biden, or Roth for an example of both cases.

How did they toss out Biden?  Giving him 62% of the vote for a promotion to VP doesn't count because they simultaneously gave him 65% for re-election.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 12:19:36 PM »

Castle only raised $75k too in Q1.  That's not someone who is actively planning for a Senate run
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 12:20:24 PM »

How did they toss out Biden?  Giving him 62% of the vote for a promotion to VP doesn't count because they simultaneously gave him 65% for re-election.

lol @ McCain/Palin /Joe Biden for Senate voters
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 12:25:20 PM »

Castle only raised $75k too in Q1.  That's not someone who is actively planning for a Senate run

That's true. But Biden hasn't done any fundraising either(since he's in Iraq).
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2009, 12:28:21 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2009, 12:30:16 PM by px75 »

I think he meant Biden's first election when he still wasn't 30 years old. The voters assumed that by electing such a young senator he would go on to accumulate a lot of seniority.

You think Beau will have a hard time raising funds in no time?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2009, 12:30:50 PM »

I'm not saying that puts him at a disadvantage, only that it puts him as someone who has yet to act seriously about this promotion.

Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2009, 12:34:50 PM »

I think he meant Biden's first election when he still wasn't 30 years old. The voters assumed that by electing such a young senator he would go on to accumulate a lot of seniority.

You think Beau will have a hard time raising funds in no time?

Castle won't have any trouble raising funds if he declares. You don't think the RNC would pour a lot of money into the race if they think they have a chance? Especially if it is a chance to prevent 60?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009, 12:35:57 PM »

The RNC doesn't really "pour" money into Senate races...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2009, 12:55:50 PM »

Biden is an example only of the former point, Roth is an example of both.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2009, 04:42:39 PM »

Castle won't have any trouble raising funds if he declares. You don't think the RNC would pour a lot of money into the race if they think they have a chance? Especially if it is a chance to prevent 60?
[/quote]

I think it's a longshot for the Republicans to prevent 60. Even if they pick up DE and CT, that still leaves Democrats with 57 seats (assuming Al Franken ever gets seated) and add NH, OH and MO where the seats are likely to flip and you get the magic number of 60, not to mention the other vulnerable seats in KY, NC and LA. But I agree with you, if Castle does decide to run, the RNC will and NRSC will undoubtedly go heavily after this seat.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2009, 05:09:11 PM »

I think it's a longshot for the Republicans to prevent 60. Even if they pick up DE and CT, that still leaves Democrats with 57 seats (assuming Al Franken ever gets seated) and add NH, OH and MO where the seats are likely to flip and you get the magic number of 60, not to mention the other vulnerable seats in KY, NC and LA. But I agree with you, if Castle does decide to run, the RNC will and NRSC will undoubtedly go heavily after this seat.
[/quote]

Oh, no doubt. I think the chances of holding them under 60 seats, is about 1 in 10. But I figure the ONLY way to stop them from getting 60 is by winning this seat. There are really few other pickup opportunities.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2009, 05:15:41 PM »

Oh, no doubt. I think the chances of holding them under 60 seats, is about 1 in 10. But I figure the ONLY way to stop them from getting 60 is by winning this seat. There are really few other pickup opportunities.
[/quote]

I think we keep LA, but don't forget PA will be vulnerable no matter what happens in the primary.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies