Changing Political Affiliation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:12:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Changing Political Affiliation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Changing Political Affiliation  (Read 1358 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 11:44:48 PM »

Wisconsin doesn't have partisan registration so it's not a thing I can do. However, for all intents and purposes I am no longer a Republican.

You were before?

Huh? I've voted for way, way more Republicans than Democrats in my life.

Wait, I thought you were ElectionsGuy for some reason. Sorry, my mistake Tongue
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 08:48:34 AM »

This is just me, but I think that I am actually more glad to be a Republican with the possibility of a Cruz/Kasich/Ryan nomination being shot. I guess that shows how different we Southern Republicans are from Yankee ones.

Sure does.

We were here first, though. Wink
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2016, 09:05:49 AM »
« Edited: May 05, 2016, 09:18:15 AM by Dereich »

Let's not give up on our party because of one nomination.  I am proud to be a conservative Republican!!

Nominations have consequences. Until his ignominious defeat in November, Donald Trump is the standard-bearer of the Republican Party. It is his party; GOP leaders even now are getting into line behind him. Putting aside IRL registrations (which I doubt any of us will change) on this forum if you choose to identify with Trump's party you're choosing to identify with Trump. The blue avatar doesn't stand for "conservative" it stands for "Republican." I will not let myself be associated with that economically illiterate racist shyster. If you keep a blue avatar its safe to say that you will.

Do you Hillary Republicans even care about the Supreme Court at all? Even if you don't like Trump and think the Clintons are more decent persons (lol), why would you vote Democratic? It's not as if there were many Bob Dole Democrats or Michael Dukakis Republicans either.

I'm not sure yet if I'll be voting for Clinton, but its because she's easily better on nearly all fronts than Trump. Clinton probably won't jumpstart the economy, but I expect it'll keep plodding along under her. Trump? He'll destroy it. There are no big social issues either Hillary or Donald ACTUALLY care about, so that's a non-factor. Immigration? A net benefit, even if its done illegally. Trump's main policy (the wall) is counter-productive, a diplomatic disaster, and completely ineffectual at stopping illegal immigration. For an interventionist, Hillary is also the easy choice since Donald Trump is obviously completely ignorant about all foreign issue.

The situation with the Court isn't great; I obviously think about it a lot since I'm a law student. The thing is, it's not quite like how everyone sees it. The Court is not the Senate. You don't just elect a majority from one party or the other and then its off to the races with new laws. Justices act within set scopes of their interpretations of the constitution. Alito is on the record being opposed to eliminating a lot of the Due Process chain of cases starting from Roe which the Court's liberals have passed. Kagan too isn't likely to fold to public pressure like Sotamayor does. A liberal Court can do bad things but they won't be doing awful things. I'd trust Hillary Clinton to put actual jurists who don't just vote their party affiliation on the Court before I'd trust Trump to do the same.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2016, 11:07:19 AM »
« Edited: May 05, 2016, 11:45:23 AM by RINO Tom »

Do you Hillary Republicans even care about the Supreme Court at all? Even if you don't like Trump and think the Clintons are more decent persons (lol), why would you vote Democratic? It's not as if there were many Bob Dole Democrats or Michael Dukakis Republicans either.

While I certainly don't speak for the majority, it's not high on my list of concerns.  I mean I'm pro-choice anyway (I feel that this is most's concern), pro-gay rights and while I'm fairly conservative on gun control, I 1) don't get too worked up over it either way and 2) don't think that any self-respecting liberal Justice is going to REALLY infringe on Americans' right to bear arms.

From my seat, Trump is only barely better than Hillary on economic policy, and he's worse on social policy.  He's also taking (or, for now, TRYING to take) my party in a direction that I find horrifying.  If Trump's GOP bears no resemblance to even its predecessor of the 1980s, what is even the point??  Anyway, I'm probably going to end up voting third party.

EDIT: I'm also inclined to believe that a Clinton Presidency will lead to Democrats being slaughtered in 2018, leaving her about as handicapped as Obama has been, and I'll take that over Trump with what I believe will eventually be a Democratic majority (whom I could totally see Trump cooperating with on restricting free trade, enacting higher taxes on high earners and maybe even increasing regulation).
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 11:33:50 AM »

As a Virginian, I will remain unaffiliated with any party due to the way registration works here.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2016, 10:15:42 PM »

I'm registered republican solely because that's how I wanted to caucus this time, it doesn't have any bearing on how I vote. If some sensible, honest democrat runs next time, I'll switch over. My reaction to someone telling me what political party they're in as a way to get me to vote for them will always been something along the lines of "Thanks, but what's your actual platform?"
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2016, 12:38:06 AM »

I'm reluctantly supporting Trump in the general, unless Romney or someone decent is a third party candidate.

Either way, I'm prob switching to Independent after the election.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2016, 10:22:51 AM »

Also, Connecticut has partisan registration, and there's no advantage to being an Independent.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2016, 11:44:10 AM »

I'm reluctantly supporting Trump in the general, unless Romney or someone decent is a third party candidate.

Either way, I'm prob switching to Independent after the election.

Change of plans: I'm supporting Austin Petersen for LP nomination and if he loses, I'll reluctantly support trump in the general
hopper
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2016, 10:19:20 PM »

No I am not going to stop voting for Republican because of Trump. I really don't fit in either parties platform anyway even before Trump came along. I agree with the Dems on social issues but on fiscal issues I agree with Republicans minus their position on tax cuts. In regards to Trump I will not be voting for him because of his rhetoric towards Muslims and Hispanics. I think Republican officials have to get it through their head that people under the age 40 or 45 don't like that kind of rhetoric.

I will be voting Libertarian in the Presidential Election. I could have voted for a Cruz/Kasich or Cruz/Rubio ticket though.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies