AOC says the world will end in 12 years if we don't address climate change (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:09:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AOC says the world will end in 12 years if we don't address climate change (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AOC says the world will end in 12 years if we don't address climate change  (Read 3323 times)
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« on: January 22, 2019, 06:05:14 PM »

I mean, she's not wrong. Probably more senastionalist wording than I would have used, but that's a matter of style, not substance.

This.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 02:52:21 PM »

It is stunning to me how many red avatars on this site seriously believe that the world will be significantly different in 12 years due to climate change if we do nothing about it. That is borderline religious fanatacism.

If you go to NASA’s website you will find the actual timelines and impacts of climate change. While undesirable and quite bad for some countries (although no where near ‘catastrophic’ lol), the reality is that the US and most northern hemisphere countries will not be significantly worse off in 50 or a hundred years. Ocean levels will rise about a foot, the salinity of the oceans will decrease, the temperature will go up 2 degrees or so, and weather will probably be harder to predict. Nothing remotely resembling the end of humanity rofl

Like seriously, you can calmly explain that climate change is real and is pretty bad on the whole without sounding like a total crazy enviro- religious fanatic. People who are deniers would probably be more inclined to help the world act on it if what the eco-lobby were saying weren’t so obviously untrue. Al Gore thought that Florida was going to be swallowed by the ocean by this point 20 years ago, and when you’re so obviously wrong over time as to the impacts then people naturally get suspicious of your motivations.

I'm sure there will be absolutely no catastrophic impact from this happening to my region (and this is under the RCP4.5 scenario which assumes carbon levels rapidly decline after 2050):
 /s

Anybody who knows their stuff about climate change is well aware that developed nations won't take the biggest brunt of climate change (though certainly they'll take a big hit, with one example of this shown in the picture above) in terms of weather patterns.

However, hundreds of millions of people from the developing world will be fleeing from their homes because they become totally uninhabitable due to either being too hot, or because their homes go underwater. That's not even mentioning the crop yield decline that will inevitably happen globally.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies