AOC says the world will end in 12 years if we don't address climate change
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:38:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AOC says the world will end in 12 years if we don't address climate change
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: AOC says the world will end in 12 years if we don't address climate change  (Read 3340 times)
Flyersfan232

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2019, 12:43:55 PM »

God forbid we take climate change seriously. So far we are ignoring it. I hope she is successful in getting in to the top of the agenda where it belongs.
and when the high gas taxes come i cant wait to see the dems collapse electoral.
UncleSam

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2019, 01:12:37 PM »

It is stunning to me how many red avatars on this site seriously believe that the world will be significantly different in 12 years due to climate change if we do nothing about it. That is borderline religious fanatacism.

If you go to NASA’s website you will find the actual timelines and impacts of climate change. While undesirable and quite bad for some countries (although no where near ‘catastrophic’ lol), the reality is that the US and most northern hemisphere countries will not be significantly worse off in 50 or a hundred years. Ocean levels will rise about a foot, the salinity of the oceans will decrease, the temperature will go up 2 degrees or so, and weather will probably be harder to predict. Nothing remotely resembling the end of humanity rofl

Like seriously, you can calmly explain that climate change is real and is pretty bad on the whole without sounding like a total crazy enviro- religious fanatic. People who are deniers would probably be more inclined to help the world act on it if what the eco-lobby were saying weren’t so obviously untrue. Al Gore thought that Florida was going to be swallowed by the ocean by this point 20 years ago, and when you’re so obviously wrong over time as to the impacts then people naturally get suspicious of your motivations.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2019, 01:59:48 PM »

It is stunning to me how many red avatars on this site seriously believe that the world will be significantly different in 12 years due to climate change if we do nothing about it. That is borderline religious fanatacism.

If you go to NASA’s website you will find the actual timelines and impacts of climate change. While undesirable and quite bad for some countries (although no where near ‘catastrophic’ lol), the reality is that the US and most northern hemisphere countries will not be significantly worse off in 50 or a hundred years. Ocean levels will rise about a foot, the salinity of the oceans will decrease, the temperature will go up 2 degrees or so, and weather will probably be harder to predict. Nothing remotely resembling the end of humanity rofl

Like seriously, you can calmly explain that climate change is real and is pretty bad on the whole without sounding like a total crazy enviro- religious fanatic. People who are deniers would probably be more inclined to help the world act on it if what the eco-lobby were saying weren’t so obviously untrue. Al Gore thought that Florida was going to be swallowed by the ocean by this point 20 years ago, and when you’re so obviously wrong over time as to the impacts then people naturally get suspicious of your motivations.

Do you have Al Gore's actual quote on this?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2019, 02:12:44 PM »

Oh, how I hate the smug human waste that is late-stage denialists dragging the human race toward untold suffering for the sake of ignorance, ego and personal convenience.

This is what everyone saying "12 years" is referring to: We have 12 years to limit climate change catastrophe, warns UN - Urgent changes needed to cut risk of extreme heat, drought, floods and poverty, says IPCC

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I know it's a complex problem without easy rhetoric and solutions, and thus something that Republican voters are very ill-equipped to grasp, but whether or not the coddled morons who got us onto this trip to disaster acknowledge reality or not, global warming is not going to go away.

And here's NASA's website on effects of currently predicted global warming on the United States, which contradict the claims of the lying waste I'm replying to:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And that's just direct impacts in the near future if it doesn't get any worse.  If anyone thinks that millions of people are going to sit at home while their countries are being devastated and die quietly, they're even more delusional and stupid than the typical Republican.
UncleSam

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2019, 02:26:50 PM »

hey mods, just wanted to point out that the ridiculous personal attacks exhibited by the above post are the main problem with this forum. I don’t expect anything to happen since it’s a leftist attacking a non-leftist but just figured this was a nice example of the bias on this forum.

If a right winger said anything remotely similar about a Democrat here they would be gone instantly. Js.

And no, I’m not going to respond or read much past ‘smug human waste’.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2019, 02:52:21 PM »

I'm sure there will be absolutely no catastrophic impact from this happening to my region (and this is under the RCP4.5 scenario which assumes carbon levels rapidly decline after 2050):
 /s

Anybody who knows their stuff about climate change is well aware that developed nations won't take the biggest brunt of climate change (though certainly they'll take a big hit, with one example of this shown in the picture above) in terms of weather patterns.

However, hundreds of millions of people from the developing world will be fleeing from their homes because they become totally uninhabitable due to either being too hot, or because their homes go underwater. That's not even mentioning the crop yield decline that will inevitably happen globally.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2019, 02:55:11 PM »

hey mods, just wanted to point out that the ridiculous personal attacks exhibited by the above post are the main problem with this forum. I don’t expect anything to happen since it’s a leftist attacking a non-leftist but just figured this was a nice example of the bias on this forum.

If a right winger said anything remotely similar about a Democrat here they would be gone instantly. Js.

Personally, I care more about honesty than personal attacks, but I know the mods don't agree with me.

However, in that vein, could you please show me Al Gore's exact quote on Florida that you referenced?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2019, 03:03:41 PM »

Life is too short—our time is too short—to argue with outright deniers. We need to outvote them and raise awareness among the majority in the middle who sense something is happening but are too afraid or whose capacity for dealing with the magnitude of the issue is too constrained to fully acknowledge it. We have to look to our leaders in Congress, science, and industry to move forward as they can. There will be bitter enders, tribalists, deniers, people too old to care and we will never get them on the side of the future.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2019, 05:49:29 PM »

Perhaps you should go find a safe space to laugh about ecocide and megadeaths.

And whining about being accurately labeled when your lies are pointed out doesn't make them true.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies