The Second Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:15:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Second Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Second Amendment  (Read 350 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2016, 03:27:57 AM »
« edited: March 04, 2016, 04:38:50 AM by Meclazine »

Is there room under the 2nd amendment for a ban on semi-automatic and fully automatic assault rifles?

These are designed to kill human beings.

Australia did it, and we have avoided mass shootings ever since.

Will the USA ever look at banning these weapons for individuals?

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 03:32:08 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2016, 03:49:47 AM by Grad Students are the Worst »

I hate to only respond to one part of this thread, but the sudden drop-off in mass-shootings in Australia is almost entirely a function of the Port Arthur shooting happening, no?  I know firearm homicides decreased, but overall homicides did not, and I believe most Western countries -- the U.S. included -- saw a decrease in firearm homicides over this period.  I'm just not sure I find that evidence particularly persuasive or well-controlled.

also, "semi-automatic assault rifle" doesn't really mean anything.  An "assault rifle" is a rifle with select fire capability, i.e., it can fire automatic OR semi-automatic.  Civilian ownership of true "assault rifles" is rare, as far as I know.  Most own semi-automatics, and saying "semi-automatic assault rifle" is mainly meaningless shorthand for "semi-automatic rifle that looks scary."

I'm not sure I can think of a single mass-shooting involving an automatic weapon, anyway.  Automatic weapons are heavily controlled and aren't even dramatically more dangerous in mass-shooting scenarios.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 04:50:53 AM »

Yes,

In direct response to the Port Arthur massacre, it mimics the Norwegian massacre in many aspects, and would certainly skew any meaningful data on the topic.

Both attackers were looking for areas (islands) where there would be no protection for the victims. That is, areas of extremely low gun ownership, lack of police response.

That is why the Norwegian guy did not go straight to the Islamic neighbourhoods of Oslo.

And the countries are both not known for these types of crimes typically, so you could argue that the Australian example lacks data.

But just after information about whether the 2nd amendment is changed or whether there is scope to change gun ownership laws.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 07:28:44 AM »

Is there room under the 2nd amendment for a ban on semi-automatic and fully automatic assault rifles?
You'll never ban semi-autos in the US.  Fully autos are virtually banned now.  Legal full autos are NEVER used in crime, illegal ones are rarely used in crime and more Americans are killed with fists than by semi-auto rifles, why would you ban something for "danger" reasons when they aren't harming that many people?
You must be logged in to read this quote.
You didn't have that many before hand, and you have more guns now than you did before the ban.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
no, there is no point, no matter how much you guys want to think there is.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 08:32:48 AM »

I'm working all day today so I unfortunately can't go into detail now, but if you'd like to read the most recent Supreme Court petition on this issue, message me and I'll email you a pdf of the brief. It lays out the argument.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 11:11:21 AM »

Some things must be chalked up to cultural barriers, and left at that.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies